The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 20, 2010, 11:12 PM   #1
loogee

6MM Remington BR

Anyone familiar with the 6MM Rem. BR...? Is ammo still available...? Thinking about getting into Schutzen shooting and that caliber looks like it'd be good.
Thanx for any info. Charlie.
Old August 20, 2010, 11:20 PM   #2
Scorch

There are 2 cartridges called 6mm BR, one from Remington, the other from Norma. Same case dimensions, but the Norma cartridge has a different throat spec for longer bullets, so they gave it its own name. Either one is a great little cartridge, the Norma chambering able to handle longer/heavier bullets for longer range shooting. I had a friend who built a 40X in 6mmBR (the Remington version, the Norma version had not yet made an appearance), and it was the perfect varminter for high altitude, windy shooting conditions (I lived in Idaho at the time), and would be a great match rifle. Achievable velocities approach the 243, and accuracy is very good.
Old August 21, 2010, 12:04 AM   #3
SVO

The Remington BR family is a accurate round in whatever caliber you choose to chamber a rifle or hand cannon in. Originally, you had to buy the BR basic brass and form your own cases. Forming dies were expensive and case forming was time consuming so it's nice to have Remington and Norma offering formed brass. The BR case has a small primer pocket which is suppose to be one of the keys to it's accuracy. Don't know about now, but at one time, the .22 BR and 6mm BR was real popular with the benchrest crowd. It's competition came mainly from the .22 PPC and 6mm PPC shooters.. The 6mm BR, 6.5mm BR, 7mm BR and .30 BR were popular with the Silhouette shooters for a good number of years. I have a Model 700 custom chambered in the .22 BR and a pair of XP-100 pistols, one in the factory 7mm BR and one in the 6.5mm BR. In my experience, it's a easy round to load, not finicky about powder or bullets. In my opinion, there are a lot worst calibers you could use, but not many that would be better than a 6mm BR.
Old August 21, 2010, 08:05 AM   #4
loogee

Great info......thanx guys.
Charlie
Old August 21, 2010, 09:47 AM   #5
A_Gamehog

Everything you ever wanted to know about the 6MMBR

Best powders
Best brass
Best primers
Best loads

unique website for data

http://www.6mmbr.com/6mmbr.html
Old August 21, 2010, 09:56 AM   #6
Sam06

Check this site out.

http://www.6mmbr.com/index.html

I have 2 6mmBR's They are real tack drivers. Both are tight neck guns(.269) so I have to turn the necks(Which is a PITA) but the good thing is you only have to do it once. The thing I like about the 6mmBR is that it is very forgiving. It works well with many more powders than you would think. My 2 guns are both built on Remington 40X actions and one is a 1 in 12 twist the other is a 1 in 8. Both shoot great but I think if I had to do it all over I would go with a 1 in 10 and a (.269) and one with a factory neck for varmints. I used to shoot Bench rest and the 1 in 8 twist was my match gun. the 1 in 12 twist is my Ground hog gun and it does the job very well. This is a great cartridge but Brass is spendy. I have used both Lapua and Remington and the Lapua is the way to go.