The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 3, 2012, 01:30 PM   #1
LOLERCOASTER

25-06 hunting loads.

I've recently accquired a Browning A-Bolt in .25-06 Rem. Being that this is an exspensive and sometimes difficult round to find, I was looking into reloading them. I have a reloading handbook, and I know the powder levels, and yadda yadda yadda, but I was wondering about the bullets. What bullets have you had good experience with in large game hunting? Target shooting? Thanks in advance,

Loler.
Old July 3, 2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Steel Talon

Partitions and the 25-06 make a great combo. Accuracy and deep penetration are amazing even at 400+ yards.

Start with the 100 grain, 115 grain, 120grain.
Old July 3, 2012, 01:44 PM   #3
LOLERCOASTER

Those are Nosler, correct?
Old July 3, 2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Steel Talon

Yes... Ive been shooting the 25-06 since the early 70's.
Old July 3, 2012, 02:11 PM   #5
LOLERCOASTER

Thank you.

Do you know where I can find them online?
Old July 3, 2012, 02:39 PM   #6
Steel Talon

Midwayusa.com is where I normally buy them, they had 100grain partitions on sale a couple of weeks ago, I bought 2 boxes for my reload bench
Old July 3, 2012, 02:58 PM   #7
Steel Talon

Midawy still has the sale going on.... on all three Partition weights for the 25 cal.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&sortb...ensionid=15553
Old July 3, 2012, 03:11 PM   #8
PawPaw

You might also look at the 117 grain Hornady Interlock. You can find them at a number of online stores, I get mine from Powder Valley. Loaded with Reloder 22, they provide half-inch accuracy from both Model 77s in the family.

Another bullet I've heard great things about is the Barnes Triple Shock. From what I understand, the Barnes bullet is a great game bullet.

But, as Steel Talon said, you can't go wrong with the Partition, either.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 3, 2012, 03:34 PM   #9
603Country

That Partition bullet is a great one for hunting, but I have had problems getting it to group decently (in several rifles). I just use the Nosler Ballistic Tips, though the Hornady SST and the Sierra Gamekings shoot great in various rifles I have.
Old July 3, 2012, 08:24 PM   #10
crowbeaner

Try the Hornady Interlock and SST over Imr 7828, RL22, WW760/H414 and Hybrid100V. I use the 100 grain flatbase Interlock at around 3300 fps. DRT on deer and pronghorns; it's like a 100 grain 243 at some 300 fps faster.
Old July 4, 2012, 05:41 AM   #11
Mike / Tx

My all around bullet for close to 20 years has been the 115gr Partition. Loaded over a good charge of RL-22, it has worked as well as any target bullet could ever hope to. The rifle simply loved this combo, and it has taken everything from squirrels off feeders at 200+yds to Mule deer.

I passed that rifle over to my daughter, and just on a whim I tried a box of the 110gr Accubonds when they hit the market. Same load as the 115's only swapped the tips. We literally had to ride out to the 200yd target to see there were three bullets through the same hole.

She has used this load for several nice whitetails, and my grandson has even gotten in on it with a couple of his own. They aren't quite enough for a decent sized boar hog to drop on the spot, but deer haven't gone more than a couple of steps.

The last time I shot them we had just cleaned the barrel up and were checking the scope before deer season. I fired one fouling round, and two for group at 250yds with a gusting cross wind.

With the rifle zeroed at 200yds, and the wind being as it was I didn't mess with the scope at all.

I have shot every weight from 87 up to 130grs through this one, and hands down I prefer the 115 gr Partition. There are plenty of others that worked well and some even shot as close as the Partitions, but in overall performance, day in and day out, several have fallen off.

My best advice would be to pick something mid weight, and find a slow burning powder it likes to ride atop. Once you find a good load stick with it. With the mid weight bullets your still going to get good velocity with the slower powders, and the added weight to carry over a good distance. Sort of the best of both worlds. Unless your looking to hit the high country in search of Elk sized critters, the 120's are not really needed. I would shy away from the Ballistic tips, (personal preference), might give the SST a look, but overall the standard C&C bullets will work just fine. The disadvantage I found was up close under 100yds. With most 24" barrels you can pretty easily hit 3100fps with a 115 - 117gr bullet, and some simply aren't up to that sort of impact speed up close. That is why I stuck with the 115gr Partition. From 50 - 500yds I got almost identical performance, usually resulting in a bang flop or a short run of only 20-40yds.

We have the luxury, or misery, depending on how you look at it, of having feral hogs in abundance. While some feel they are a blessing many of us feel they are a plague upon the land they roam. I fall into the latter, even though they are a tasty lot. The best thing about them is they give year round ballistic opportunities to test loads out in live media. It has proven out several times to be somewhat of an eye opening experiences over the years. This said, between my friend and I, we have found that any load which will reliably put a hog on it's nose within a few yards, will easily drop the toughest deer we're likely to come across. That said the standard deer pretty much hasn't got a snow balls chance.
Old July 4, 2012, 12:18 PM   #12
Guybo

Thats a good load Mike and some really good shooting too. The 25.06 is an awesome caliber and kills like lighting. I've been loading for this caliber for a very long time and have always gotten good results with the slower burning powders when working with bullets in the 110 - 120gr range. RL22 is my powder of choice in the 25.06 and is my go to powder for this caliber. I've also had good results with IMR4350 and 4831 but every 25.06 i've ever owned has excelled on RL22. Here's a few loads and pics that i found in my notes and the load data is on the targets. These bullets produced some accurate loads and on game performance has been excellent as well. Always start low and work up as these made be hot for your rifle.

Old July 4, 2012, 12:40 PM   #13
hooligan1

Okay you got my attention! those loads work nicely for you Guybo! Far out man!!
Old July 4, 2012, 01:53 PM   #14
LOLERCOASTER

It seems a lot of you reccomend RL22 powder and ~100-110gr bullets. Sorry if I missed it, but how many grains of powder should I load into the btass?
Old July 4, 2012, 02:04 PM   #15
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLERCOASTER
Sorry if I missed it, but how many grains of powder should I load into the btass?
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

Please familiarize yourself as much as possible with the techniques and safety procedures of handloading before you begin loading.
Old July 4, 2012, 02:28 PM   #16
LOLERCOASTER

Don't worry, I've got a friend helping me with it. I was unsure if for different powders (slow-burning, fast-burning) there were different recommendations on grain.
Old July 4, 2012, 02:41 PM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You will find this forum to be an invaluable resource. I had been considering getting into reloading for years but never really dared until I found The Firing Line. I started only a couple of years ago. Today, I can't imagine NOT doing it myself. Virtually everything I know about it, I learned here.
Old July 4, 2012, 02:44 PM   #18
LOLERCOASTER

Well, can you help me with my powder question?
Old July 4, 2012, 02:54 PM   #19
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I did.

Follow the link in my previous post.
Old July 4, 2012, 02:58 PM   #20
Guybo

Quote:
Okay you got my attention! those loads work nicely for you Guybo! Far out man!!
LOL, i know i know, the pics are huge and i swear i tried to resize them using photobucket but couldn't get it to work. Sorry and maybe i'll get it figured out next time.
Old July 4, 2012, 06:38 PM   #21
LOLERCOASTER

25-06 takes a .270 bullet, am I right?
Old July 4, 2012, 06:44 PM   #22
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

No.
.25-06 takes a .257 bullet.
Old July 4, 2012, 07:08 PM   #23
PawPaw

Yep, 25-06 takes a .257 bullet and if you go to the Alliant website you'll find that they list a max load of 52.0 grains of Reloder 22. This is a max load according to Alliant, so reduce it by 10% as a starting load, and if you look at some of Guybo's pictures you'll see the loads he's using, written on the target.

Here's the deal, though. All rifles are different, all barrels are different. What is a safe and effective load in one rifle may not work for squat in another rifle. I find that for one of my .25-06s, it really likes 50.0 grains of Reloder 22 under a Sierra Gameking. Another .25-06 in the family really likes the 117 grain Hornady Interlock and 51.0 grains of Reloder 22. All rifles are different and you're going to have to find the load that works in your rifle.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 5, 2012, 12:37 AM   #24
LOLERCOASTER

So just keep a log of different loads, and keep shooting conditions simmilar?
Old July 5, 2012, 01:33 AM   #25
Steel Talon

IF you have yet started reloading then make sure your friend is adept at it, and can teach you.

To get the feel of your rifle. Start with some factory rounds Rem Core lokt in the 100grains for 25-06 is a good place to start. Save your brass.

FWIW
When you decide to load
Get a couple of books ABC's of Handloading. A Manual matching your bullet brand choice.

Start with
* One make of Bullet and one weight.
* One type of lg. rifle primers
* One type of powder
* 20 pieces of same trademarked brass

Keep a journal of your loads,the range conditions and their accuracy on paper.

There is alot more to handloading than these few suggestions I write, you ow it to yourself to learn the equipment, proper techniques and safe recipes. Take your time keep things very simple as you start.