The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 4, 2015, 08:21 AM   #1
ZEBRARANGER

A Rare Find (Colt)

My sister in law's father passed away not too long ago and she finally opened his safe this weekend. She and my brother are not into firearms very much, so they asked me to come by and tell them about three revolvers that was in the safe. She said that they have been in the safe for at least 35 years, so I was pretty anxious myself to see just what they were.

The first revolver I opened up was an Iver Johnson Cadet model. (Nice condition).
The 2nd revolver was an older Smith & Wesson Model 10 (Great condition).
The 3rd that I opened was a NIB 2.5" blued Colt Python that has never been fired. (perfect condition) no flame cutting, no powder burns, no nothing but a beautiful blued finish.

It had the original yellowing 1978 bill of sale and the manual that was turning brownish yellow like all old paper does. The first thing that I thought of after looking it over was that these revolvers need a cleaning and oiling. The only thing that I had with me in my truck was a can of oiled gun wipes.

So I gave them a good oiling as best as I could with the wipes and told them that the next time I came over, I'd bring my cleaning kit. After telling them what they were and an estimated value, I asked what she intended to do with them. I was glad to hear that she plans on keeping them, she said her Dad loved guns his whole life. She said that he use to have a bunch of hunting rifles once but that he got rid of them in the late 70's when he gave up hunting.

I told her that if she was to ever get rid of them, I'd love the opportunity to buy them from her first.

After wiping them down with the gun wipes, I took this photo of the Python.
The smears on the bluing is just oil from the wipes.
Old May 4, 2015, 08:33 AM   #2
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEBRARANGER
a NIB 2.5" blued Colt Python that has never been fired. (perfect condition) no flame cutting, no powder burns, no nothing but a beautiful blued finish.

So I gave them a good oiling as best as I could with the wipes and told them that the next time I came over, I'd bring my cleaning kit.
Beyond the oiling, I wouldn't touch that Python with a cleaning kit. If it's in pristine condition, there's no reason to clean it. It's in as good a condition as it's going to be, so play it safe, especially since it's not yours.
Old May 4, 2015, 09:13 AM   #3
dahermit

Did you tell her what that Python was worth?
Old May 4, 2015, 11:54 AM   #4
ZEBRARANGER

Quote:
Beyond the oiling, I wouldn't touch that Python with a cleaning kit. If it's in pristine condition, there's no reason to clean it. It's in as good a condition as it's going to be, so play it safe, especially since it's not yours.
Yes, that's what I'd like to do, properly oiled and protected from rust or corrosion. When I said pistol cleaning kit. Mine is huge, its a 28" tool bag with all the goodies in it.

Quote:
Did you tell her what that Python was worth?
No, I didn't tell her exactly what its worth because I don't know. All I could tell her was what crazy prices people are asking, and have been asking for them. I did explain the Colt story, and the whole Python mystique thing that some people have with them. I also explained to her that just because they are asking those prices, doesn't mean that's what they are getting. I stated that because of its condition and being unfired with the original paperwork, it would be much more attractive to some buyers and would bring a good price for that condition.

I told her that I myself appreciate the Colt Python's, Anaconda's and the King Cobra's, but not enough to ever pay what the Pythons are being priced at nowadays. I stated that from my experiences on the forums, that's how many of the buyers out there also feel. I'm just glad that she's decided to keep it for sentimental sake. She wants to keep all three and they had the safe moved to their home. They both are pro 2nd amendment people, she and my brother have both shot in the past, but they just are not into firearms like many of us.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:59 PM   #5
MrBorland

I have a close friend who's a recent widow, and her late husband left her 3 pristine, NIB unfired Pythons, one of which is a particularly rare variant.

I looked them over while wearing nitrile gloves, and as they didn't have even a hint of a turn line, I didn't even open the cylinder and I definitely didn't cycle the action. I was more worried about damaging them than I was interested in playing with them.

Anyhow, I gave her the same info on Pythons and their current value that you gave. She's not going to sell, but the info would be good to have for insurance purposes. I also wanted to be sure she didn't get fleeced if she ever was interested in selling. I made it clear that current prices might be a bubble, but she ought to at least know they're not your run-of-the-mill revolvers.

She was surprised to hear I wouldn't be interested in them if given first whack, but any one of them (let alone all three) are above my pay grade, and I'm not much for safe queens to boot. Still, it was very cool to check them out.
Old May 4, 2015, 04:26 PM   #6
DaleA

Guess I'll have to admit to being a bit of a hypocrite. I'm not really in favor of safe queens but it sure is nice seeing those unfired guns.

You mentioned the instruction manual was there. Was the BOX there too? The reason I ask is because of the $350 somebody wanted for one.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ght=box+python
Old May 4, 2015, 04:31 PM   #7
lunger

WOW I am not a Python guy but WOW just WOW
Old May 4, 2015, 05:01 PM   #8
Skans

Taking a stab at a value guess, I'd say north of $4,000.
Old May 4, 2015, 06:15 PM   #9
SaxonPig

I'd say $5K for a new 2.5" Python. Might go for more on a Gunbroker auction. I'd take many photos and start it at $4K. This is a serious collector gun and the serious collectors pay big bucks.
Old May 4, 2015, 07:41 PM   #10
Joe_Pike

A friend sold one just like it in the box on GB last year and it brought $5, 200.