The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 29, 2011, 08:58 PM   #1
Fadelight

prescription shooting/sunglasses

I am in the market for a pair of prescription sunglasses, and the price difference seems to be nearly nonexistent in terms of regular sunglasses and shooting glasses, so I figured I would just kill 3 birds with one stone.

My issue, however, is that I seem to have an odd shaped face and a rather particular taste in glasses. That prevents me from buying glasses without first trying them on. But... I have no idea where to even begin looking. The local gun shops don't seem to have anything except for regular non prescription shooting glasses.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I could go to try on some glasses? Or more to the point... where I could start my search?

These glasses will be primarily just prescription sunglasses for daily wear... Occasional range duty.
Old October 29, 2011, 09:12 PM   #2
Chaz88

For daily use, you can try on the sun glasses at most optical centers then have the lenses made for them.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 29, 2011, 10:14 PM   #3
GURU1911

NEW GLASSES

1. Get an up to date exam & a fresh copy of your glasses rx.
2. When you visit the optician to choose the frames & lenses, tell them what you are needing.
3. Hold your hands in the normal firing position & they will measure the focal length from you eyes to where the front sight will be approximately located.
4. When your new glasses are ready for fitting, ask if you can bring your pistol "discreetly" & have the focal length checked again. The front sight should be in clear focus & the rear sight slightly fuzzy.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old October 29, 2011, 11:02 PM   #4
Fadelight

I have a fresh prescription... I keep my paperwork up to date.

Will the eye care centers be able to order shooting glasses, though? More to the point... will they have any in stock that I can try on to see how they fit? (Keep in mind... fitment was the original question, not how to measure the glasses for focal point.)

My issue seems to be with the bridge of my nose being higher than most people... wrap around glasses like what I am after sit far too high on my face. I have difficulty in just finding a pair of sunglasses that fit... that's why I am so skeptical about shooting glasses at this point.

Chaz, The problem with that is that most regular sunglasses are not acceptable at ranges. Although, they let me wear my regular eye glasses when I re-qualified last time.
Old October 30, 2011, 06:02 AM   #5
1911rocks

Revision Eyeware

Revision Eyeware makes a RX kit compatible with a variety of their eyeware.

http://www.revisionmilitary.com/stor...or-system.html

The Revision Sawfly Deluxe exceeds the ANSI87.1 standard since the adhere to the MIL-PRF-31013 Clause 3.5.1.1 (Military Spectacle standards)

The idea would be find a Non-Prescription set of Sawflys try them on if they meet your standards then order the Rx kit. I use this combination in the "Sand Box" and they work very well. When I'm back in CONUS I wear Contacts and use the Sawflys without the Rx kit.
Old October 31, 2011, 01:46 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Where to get glasses? I got mine from Lost And Found.
Old October 31, 2011, 01:51 AM   #7
wyome

I got my ICE Tactical shades from here http://www.esseyepro.com/index.html

Good prices and RX inserts
Old October 31, 2011, 02:08 AM   #8
Fadelight

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyome View Post
I got my ICE Tactical shades from here http://www.esseyepro.com/index.html

Good prices and RX inserts
I'm liking the 5b, but their closest dealer to me is St Pete's which is a 2 hour drive. :-\
Old December 8, 2011, 08:12 PM   #9
J.L.

I used my Zenni’s prescription sunglasses for shooting. I tried on the glasses with the frame fit system on their website. If you don’t mind online shopping, you may google Zenni Optical.
Old December 8, 2011, 08:29 PM   #10
Dennis1209

I use Rudy Project. They are a little expensive but it's easy to change out the lens for different colors / prescriptions. Everything is adjustable, light weight and comfortable. I hear Oakley is just as good. Nice thing about the above, wear them everyday and have impact protection for your eyes. JMO

www.rudyprojectusa.com
Old December 8, 2011, 08:39 PM   #11
rtpzwms

Here is another option http://www.randolphusa.com/products-rx.htm
Old December 10, 2011, 09:56 AM   #12
UtopiaTexasG19

I have had 5 eye surgeries over the years and my RX has changed enough that I do not want the expense of getting new RX sunglasses over and over so I use this type of sunglasses that fit over my regular glasses. They work well for me and are a lot less expensive.....
http://www.walmart.com/ip/OveRxCast-...opper/11047869
Old December 12, 2011, 12:30 AM   #13
gofast1320

rx sunglasses

Most quality shooting glasses ie Ray Ban etc can be taken to your eyeglass shop and they can grind lenses to fit the frames you bring in.