The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 2, 2007, 12:07 AM   #1
BlueDragon

can i convert my 9mm TT33 Tokarev?

Bought a 9mm Tokarev TT33 made by norinco. was currious if i bought a replacement barrel and magazine could i fire 7.62x25mm through it?
Old April 2, 2007, 09:25 AM   #2
Bearbuck

Norinco Tok Fit Check

Yes. I am pretty sure you can convert it. I know many people that have converted it in the reverse you want. They have converted the 7.62x25 to 9mm. I would also advise you to check thouroughly threw the Norinco Tok to make sure of its fit. I had one around 3 months ago that I bought and it looked new and unissued. The slide, frame, barrel, etc all had matching numbers. It looked great. However, when I went to the range it shot very inconsistent. Some shots accurate and others sprayed. I thought it may have been just me so I cleaned it well and took it out another day and experienced the same inconsistent shooting. I got to looking at it closely and noticed it had alot of slop in the slide to frame fit. It was tricky and hard to discover because just to look at it from the back side and along the lines of the handgun it looked like a good tight fit. But when I would wiggle it, it showed alot of movement. Especially alot of tipping movement. What I mean is I could bear pressure on the top of the slide where the front site is and the slide would actually tilt down excessively. I quickly got rid of that gun and am glad I did.
Old April 2, 2007, 05:02 PM   #3
robroy15

Norinco

I had a Tokerov copy. Got rid of it. The safety is no good. Why fool around with it?
Old April 4, 2007, 02:24 PM   #4
BlueDragon

Has anyone converted a 9mm tok to 7.62?

and it worked?
Old April 4, 2007, 05:11 PM   #5
samsmix

Maybe...and maybe not. Read on.

The safety is only for import purposes. Do not use it. I carried one for longer than I care to admit with the hammer at half-cock and a round in the chamber. So did every country who ever fielded it. It was designed that way. Mine was accurate and reliable. It stayed on my hip for about 2 years because it was thin and packable...almost as thin as a 1903 Colt.

Now to answer your question: look at your magazines. Some 9mm Toks use the much wider 7.62x25mm mags and accomodate the shorter 9mm round by means of a steel shim at the back of the magazine. If this is what you have then you're plan may be good to go.

Other Tokarevs use dedicated 9mm mags, which are shorter from front to back. These guns have a U shaped shim in the back of the magazine well, and this will not allow it to accept the wider 7.62x25mm mags. I do not know how hard it would be to remove this shim, as I have never tried, but for your conversion to work the shim has got to go.

I have had both models. The narrower magazines are less bulky in a pocket, and of my 2 examples they fed hollwpoints better, but that could be a fluke. As a footnote, 2 quick Hydra-shoks from this gun saved me from having a new A-hole ripped in me by a pissed off badger.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old April 4, 2007, 05:18 PM   #6
samsmix

IMHO, a dolled up 9mm Tok with a polish & blue, better sights, and some hardwood grips, would ba a nice little carry piece. Not one you are likely to leave on a dresser due to bulk. Alas, you would need to get used to drawing from condition 2, but it can be mastered with practice, as can the squarish grip angle. Of course you could spend that same money on alot better weapons, too.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?