The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 16, 2011, 08:05 AM   #1
joeranger

Optics advice - need "good" binoculars.

I have always used cheap binoculars because I have never really needed them for anything important.
Now I am up in a booth calling football games on the loudspeaker for my kids school and really need to see "who made the tackle".
I can't spend too much unless there is a threshold that makes a big difference in optics. $100 would be about right.
I would also use them for hunting and bikini inspecting, although, for football, I would need a good FOV rather than a close up of how the "string is tied".
HS stadium, 75-100 yds away, good light.
Old September 16, 2011, 09:12 AM   #2
AllenJ

Good binoculars for a $100 bucks is going to be pretty tough to find. I purchased some Burris about 6 years ago and they are pretty nice but they cost more around $150.
Old September 16, 2011, 02:12 PM   #3
SSA

I would expect the Nikon Action EX 7X35 to be about as good as anything in that range. Basing this on past experience, haven't actually looked at any new ones.
Old September 16, 2011, 10:40 PM   #4
nathaniel

I have a pair of Bushnell Perma focus binos. They are clear and you dont need to spend time focusing them. Ive heard alot of people comapining that they cant see perfectly out of them but I have never had a problem and neither do any of my other family memebers(7 of us have them). You might want to go to the store and try them out. The most expensive pair around here is $80.
Old September 17, 2011, 03:55 AM   #5
Jimro

Nikon. Nothing else in that price range will make you happier.

Jimro
Old September 17, 2011, 07:55 AM   #6
Sarge

Quote:
I would expect the Nikon Action EX 7X35 to be about as good as anything in that range.
I just got the 8x40 version of this for my birthday. Amazingly good optics for the price range and just the right size.
Old September 18, 2011, 07:54 PM   #7
drail

Look at the Barska brand. Really clear optics at prices you can afford. Good armored cases.
Old September 19, 2011, 02:21 AM   #8
ClydeFrog

Good glass...

If you have the budget or resources, I'd say check out the Steiner models.
Steiner markets top models & they are in use with the US military, NATO forces & US law enforcement agencies.
Prices & styles vary but you may find a few good deals if you look.
Other models can be seen here: www.Natchezss.com www.cabelas.com www.gandermountain.com www.uscav.com www.policehq.com .
For extended ranges you may need to buy a more powerful model that may cost more than $100.00 USD.
ClydeFrog
Old September 19, 2011, 09:30 AM   #9
Te Anau

Something like these should work beautifully.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...D=GSHOP_443988
or
http://www.binoculars.com/binoculars...binoculars.cfm

Last edited by Te Anau; September 19, 2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old September 19, 2011, 07:08 PM   #10
603Country

I hunt with Leica binocs that I bought many years ago. If I lost them, I'd probably have to spend serious money to get something that good again. I use the binocs far more than I use the rifle. We also have 3 or 4 pair of 10 power Nikon binocs at our ranch for watching game, but I dropped a pair a month ago and broke them. Good glass in them, but I was expecting something tougher if it came rubber armored and looking tough. Bottom line is that the Nikons have good optics and you get a lot of optical quality for the money, just don't bounce them off the floor. Other reasonably affordable makes I'd probably consider these days would be Leupold or Vortex.
Old September 20, 2011, 04:46 AM   #11
ClydeFrog

Steiner 10x36 Safari Pro model; Cabelas.com....

I saw on www.cabelas.com that they offer the Steiner model Safari Pro 10x36 for a sale price of $136.99. That's a great offer for a high quality brand.
Cabelas is a good outdoors company and has top customer service/support.

ClydeFrog

Tags
optics