The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 8, 2012, 04:49 PM   #1
c.j.sikes

lefty

i am lefty and for many years i shot a right hand bolt. i finally bought a left hand rifle but now it is hard for me to break old ways, like taking rifle down to work bolt. just a thought. cjs
Old October 8, 2012, 05:51 PM   #2
Creeper

I'm a lefty as well and, with the exception of benchrest rifles, have always shot right-handed rifles. I don't understand your comment about "taking rifle down to work bolt".
It sounds like you're taking the rifle from your shoulder (I'm assuming you're talking about shooting off-hand here) to cycle the action?
I may not understand what you're saying, but why can't you hold the rifle to your shoulder with your right hand and cycle the bolt with your left? I understand how that might really go against "muscle memory"... but with a bit of practice, you should get comfortable with it. It's that, or go back to a righty gun.

Cheers,
C
Old October 8, 2012, 07:09 PM   #3
TMD

I know exactly how you feel. Up till a few years ago I never shot a left handed gun. In an impulse I purchased a left handed Savage 93R17 with the thumbhole stock. I put one box of ammo through it and put it in the safe and havent shot it since.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:42 AM   #4
c.j.sikes

lefty

when i said i took the rifle down to work bolt i was speaking of right hand rifle habit. i did try working the left handrd bolt with my left hand, i was on bench and it works i sure get tired of chassing the brass, it sling them like an auto. thanks cjs
Old October 9, 2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Creeper

Quote:
i sure get tired of chassing the brass, it sling them like an auto. thanks cjs
Yeah... I get it. You don't have the finesse of the better memorized, fine muscle movement, for that task, in your left that you have in your right. You will get used to it, if you really want to, but it does take practice... or you can follow TMDs advice and bag the whole idea.

C
Old October 9, 2012, 07:33 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

I'm a lefty and made the switch to a left handed bolt a few years ago. Best thing I ever did and I would be hard pressed to ever go back to a right handed bolt. To me, and I don't own any other left handed guns, the left handed bolt action really works much smoother and quicker and allows for faster follow up shots.

I'd suggest giving it some time and practice. I think you'll come to appreciate the difference it will make.
Old October 10, 2012, 12:21 AM   #7
20thru45

Location: In the first foothills of the Cascade mountains outside Portland OR
opinionated lefty

Left handed bolt actions are more properly known as "rifles with the bolts on the correct side".

If you shoot southpaw you should have correct side bolts. They are safer, won't be borrowed as much, and allow fast follow up shots.

Twice I've followed up first shot hits to anchor animals within a second or two. Once was a cow elk in deep snow teetering on a ridge above a deep, steep canyon. The first lung shot spun her 180, the second went in next to the exit hole and came out by the first entrance wound. She dropped there.

If you lefties shooting wrong handed bolts are on to such a good thing then why aren't the righties shooting correct sided bolts like me?

To cycle a magazine fed bolt action properly should barely disturb your sight picture. In fact a lever gun or pump should similarly not overly disturb sight picture, grip, posture, etc.
Old October 10, 2012, 06:21 AM   #8
30Cal

I switched over to shooting lefty a couple years back when I was shooting a lot of competition. I'm decent from either side--never had an urge to buy a left handed rifle.
Old October 10, 2012, 06:34 AM   #9
jmr40

M brother is lefty and shot right handed bolt guns for years. Decided he wanted a lefty bolt gun, but didn't like it either. He went back to a right handed bolt gun and just worked on getting good with it. He shoots it faster from the wrong side than most right handed shooters because he put in the time to practice.
Old October 10, 2012, 09:47 PM   #10
lefteye

Shooting left handed I can work my left handed bolt actions faster than my right handed bolt action rifles. Of course, that is after many years of practice with Rem. 700 BDL LH and Browning A-Bolt SS LH rifles. Before those rifles I just reached across the rifle behind the scope with my left hand . . . a little slow but not too bad. Best example: on a Wyoming mule deer my Ruger 77 RH .243 didn't fire when I pulled the trigger; I worked the bolt with my left hand, fired and dropped the buck. Problem was handloads in new WW brass with primer pockets too deep (discovered AFTER the hunt.)