The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 26, 2012, 09:46 AM   #1
Bill Daniel

Favorite primer for Varget

Has any one tested different primers with Varget and found one that yeilded the least chronografted variation?
Thanks,
Bill Daniel

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old March 27, 2012, 07:23 AM   #2
Bart B.

High power rifle competitors like Wolff prmers made in Russia.

I doubt most folks chronograph data is all that good. Expecially when two different people get different results in velocity average and spread shooting the same rifle with the same ammo using a rest atop a bench. Us humans are not very repeatable in how hard we hold the rifle into our shoulder nor how our body positions itself as the rifle's held. I've seen as much as 60 fps difference between my chronographed velocity and a friends. Others have seen about 100 fps difference. Most accurate method is to clamp the rifle in a machine rest so it's held exactly the same way for each shot.
Old March 27, 2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Smokey Joe

Primer caused variation...

Is there REALLY that much variation in performance of a round, caused by a variation in primers???

I've been using CCI Benchrest primers for years, loading for my "serious" rifles, with highly satisfactory results. Had no inkling that using a different high-grade primer would cause different results.

Varget is one of my favorite powders for about .308 to .30-'06 sized cases.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; March 27, 2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
Old March 27, 2012, 11:16 AM   #4
RobertInIowa

For the guns I handload for I use Remington 7 1/2 Bench Rest Rifle.
Old March 27, 2012, 11:31 AM   #5
zxcvbob

I have 5 or 6 thousand Wolf regular SR primers and about 1000 Federal 205's. (I bought them a long time ago for loading .30 Carbine and .357 Magnum w/ W296) Are those OK with Varget? How about ball powders like AA2520 or W748 or WC844?

Or do I need to buy something hotter, like CCI 41 or Winchester SR or Remington 7.5's?

I've loaded a few rounds with the Federals and Varget and 62 grain FMJ's but I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet. If the primers aren't strong enough, how do I know it -- does it "click BANG" like a flintlock? I'm a total noob at loading bottleneck rifle cartridges.
Old March 27, 2012, 06:11 PM   #6
Bill Daniel

The reason I ask is Glen Zediker in his book "Handloading for Competition" stated that primers can be a major factor in velocity variation. I was curious to know if any of my fellow TFLers had found a difference with a hot Winchester or cooler CCI or any others for that matter.
Thanks,
Bill Daniel

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old March 28, 2012, 02:06 PM   #7
McDAccountant

For me, my most accurate load for 30-06 was using Varget with Federal 210 primers. Tried WLR primers with Varget but didn't find a load quite as accurate as with the Fed210 and Varget. Recently bought some CCI200 primers but have not had a chance to load/shoot any with those yet. As for velocity, I can't say as I have never chrony'd one of the loads...but considering how well they grouped I'd say velocity variance was small.
Old March 29, 2012, 09:25 PM   #8
dacaur

I just use normal (not mag or benchrest) CCI large rifle primers in my .308 with varget... Dont have a chrono yet, but I get sub MOA on my Sub $300 rifle, so I figure the primer must be just fine
Old March 29, 2012, 09:40 PM   #9
m&p45acp10+1

My favorite primer to use with Varget is the one that I can get. As of late it is CCI. I have a few Winchester on hand. I use those mostly for small pistol though.
Old March 29, 2012, 09:41 PM   #10
4runnerman

CCI BR-4 and 25.5 Varget for my 223
Old March 30, 2012, 01:05 PM   #11
Bill Daniel

There is probably more to this than can be imagined but if a "hot" primer moves the bullet more than the "cool" primer that would have an effect on the time pressure curve of the round and introduce that as a variable in consistency of the rounds and therefore its accuracy. I can adjust my powder charge by weight to be as exact as I can but I have no control over the primer so I think that a cool primer would be more accurate with Varget than a hot primer. This way it is only the powder charge moving the bullet rather than the primer first then the powder.
Any thoughts form you amature or professional ballisticians out there?
Thanks,
Bill Daniel

Old March 30, 2012, 04:05 PM   #12
hooligan1

I'm currently working up some loads featuring Varget, with a 95 grn B-tip, and a CCI primer is all I use in all my loads even handgun,, I'm not sure why exactly other than I've been using them since 1989 with total success and why switch right?

This new load will be for my .243 win, and I use the CCI 200 Large rifle Primer. (wish me luck,,,right)
Old March 30, 2012, 09:40 PM   #13
toolguy2006

Bill:

You might give this a read:

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...mer-study.html
Old March 30, 2012, 10:22 PM   #14
Bill Daniel

Great article toolguy2006. Thanks
Bill Daniel