The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 15, 2009, 08:02 PM   #26
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

My Aunt who was just a hair under 5' used a Winchester model 88 carbine in .243 till she finally quit hunting at the age of 84. Not the gun, she just couldn't climb the ladder into her deer stand anymore. If you can find one have your sister give it a try and see how it fits her, otherwise a Marlin lever action carbine in a pistol caliber should be doable as long as she doesn't have to shoot more than 60 yards with it.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old November 16, 2009, 08:48 PM   #27
James R. Burke

I dont know your price range. I got my wife a .243 in a Ruger No 1-A light sporter. There is hardly any recoil. It still seemed alittle long for her so I took the butt pad off. Perfect fit now. In the future were going to have the stock cut to fit, and the butt pad put back on. Believe me the .243 is no big kicking gun. She is in her 50's so she is done growing, and cutting the stock is not a big concern, but it might be if someone is still growing. I handload, and for her rifle I am using a Nosler 100 grain partition. It will do a complete pass thru on a deer just about anywhere you hit it. Shot placement is always key though, and that holds true with any caliber. A deer can be wounded with any caliber. My wife shoots alot, knows shot placement, and when to just leave them walk away. Shooting alot I think is very important no matter what you are going to use. It build confidents, and in my book that means alot. Good luck on your choice, be safe, and hope you always have good memory's.