The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 20, 2009, 07:06 PM   #1
XDnubie

A little help deciding on my first revolver. Anyone know about S &W's?

Hi guys (and girls) for that matter,

I've been the proud owner of a Springfield XD9 for awhile now, which I love. But I'm looking to get a revolver now. Here's what I'm looking for: I'd like a 357 mag. to give me a little more ballistic power then the 9mm. I've got no need for anything bigger than the 357 though. I want the barrel to be 4" or 6" long, as the gun will be for the range. I'd like it to have a 7 shot cylinder if possible but 6 will suffice. It also needs to have an adjustable sight, as that was the one pain about having the XD and I don't want to go through that again. The upper price limit I'm looking at is $500-$550 I've looked at some Taurus's and the one I like so far is the model 66 in 4". With that being said, I don't know much about what S & W has to offer and I know that some of you all probably swear by them, so I'd just like to get your opinion.

Thanks!
Old January 20, 2009, 07:15 PM   #2
12GaugeShuggoth

Maybe you can explain something for some of us........

Quote:
I'd like a 357 mag. to give me a little more ballistic power then the 9mm. I've got no need for anything bigger than the 357 though. I want the barrel to be 4" or 6" long, as the gun will be for the range.
If the gun is simply going to be a range toy, why do you want the extra power of the .357 Magnum? Not trying to change your mind, just trying to get a grasp on the situation.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old January 20, 2009, 07:29 PM   #3
Daryl

Sounds to me like a Smith & Wesson 686 would fit the bill nicely.
Old January 20, 2009, 07:31 PM   #4
laytonj1

Quote:
If the gun is simply going to be a range toy, why do you want the extra power of the .357
I have revolvers up thru 454 Casull that are used as range toys only. Who says you must use light caliber for range use?

As far as a Smith 357, go with a 686. The Ruger GP 100 would also be a good choice. They are two of the best 357 revolvers on the market.

Jim
Old January 20, 2009, 07:33 PM   #5
FlyFish

A 686 is exactly what you want - 686+ if you really want a 7-shooter. I have a couple of the 6-shooter variety and they're among the few stainless revolvers that I'll allow in the gun safe. If you're partial to blue rather than stainless, go for a 586. Should be plenty of very nice used specimens of either available in your price range.
Old January 20, 2009, 07:50 PM   #6
12GaugeShuggoth

Quote:
I have revolvers up thru 454 Casull that are used as range toys only. Who says you must use light caliber for range use?
That's not what I said, and not what I meant. I was simply asking because his description of wanting more "ballistic" power sounded more like what someone would say when describing a carry or hunting gun, rather than a range tool. Also, like I said I'm not trying to change his mind, I was just asking for more information.

As for a suggestion, +1 to the GP100, nice heavy duty gun.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old January 20, 2009, 07:57 PM   #7
cole k

The S&W Model 686 Plus is what you are looking for. It is a 7 shoot. You might find a new one for $550 but I would look also for a used one.

Check out their website at www.smith-wesson.com/
Old January 20, 2009, 08:16 PM   #8
vytoland

check out some of the internet gun auctions

http://www.gunbroker.com/
http://www.gunsamerica.com/
http://www.auctionarms.com/

i purchased a used S&W model 686-4pp, .357 magnum in excellant condition for $434 in august

it shoots like a dream and with a little care will outlast most of us

good luck
Old January 20, 2009, 08:50 PM   #9
XDnubie

Thanks guys!
I'll look into some used 686(+) and the GP 100. A used one sounds like they are surely in my price at 450ish. As for the cartridge, I just want something with a little more power and little more challenge. Also I suppose extra is nice for home safety, although I lock up my guns anyway. I don't intend on using it for hunting, as I usually only do waterfowl hunting. Although, that being said, hunting small whitetail in Pennsylvania wouldn't be too much of a problem if I get a 6" model should it. You generally only get maybe a 50 yard shot max at the most in the public land here. I would think a simple scope and good shot would be fine, right? Anyway, thats not my main purpose as I said, just range use really.

Thanks again everyone for weighing in.
Old January 20, 2009, 09:16 PM   #10
ipscchef

I have a 586 and a 686 both in 4" and they are the gold standard for what you are looking at in those applications IMHO.
South Central PA. ?
I live outside Chambersburg in the hills, Uppper Horse Valley, are you in my neck of the woods?

Bill Henderson

With the right load even the 4" with irons will take most of our local Deer.
Holler back at me if we are nieghbors.
Ever go to Keystone in Fort Louden?

Last edited by ipscchef; January 20, 2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Did not finish reading his last post
Old January 20, 2009, 11:52 PM   #11
carguychris

S&Ws in .357Mag have been available in 4 frame sizes: J (small), K (medium), L (medium-large), and N (large).

For a range toy, I would recommend against a J frame. IMHO they're too small to be comfortable to shoot with this cartridge.

The K frame Model 19 (blued) and Model 66 (stainless) were standard police guns for a long time. (The M13 and M65 were similar guns with fixed sights.) They're light enough for comfortable carry and point wonderfully. However, with a 4" barrel, they can be a bit on the light side for absorbing recoil during extended range sessions. They were designed with the ".38s for practice, .357s for business" philosophy in mind. They've also got a reputation for long-term durability issues when used with hot .357 loads using slow powder and light bullets, although the problems are often exagerrated on the 'Net and in the gun press.

The L frame was designed to duplicate the ergonomics of the K frame in a more durable and slightly heavier (read: more recoil-friendly) package. The K and L have the same grip frame but the L is generally larger and beefier throughout the rest of the gun. L frame revolvers have been available with and without full underlugs; full-underlug guns are heavier towards the muzzle for recoil absorption, but are less carry-friendly due to the extra weight. L frame .357s with adjustable sights have come in several models: SS, partial underlug, 7-shot (620); SS, full underlug*, 6-shot (686); SS, full underlug*, 7-shot (686 Plus aka 686+ or 686P); or blued, full underlug, 6-shot (586). The 686+ is often regarded as something of the "standard" S&W L frame .357, but you might shop for a 620 if you're on a budget; it's intended as the budget model, and is sort of the red-headed stepchild of the L frame family, so resale is low.

{*Footnote: Special edition 686s have come with partial underlugs, so you may run across them on the used market, but they're not common.}

This brings us to the N frame, the Big Daddy of the S&W family (at least until the recent intro of the X frame). These are the largest and generally the fanciest of the S&W .357s. Models include the Model 27, which is blued, 6- or more recently 8-shot; Model 28 Highway Patrolman, a decontented M27; and the Model 627, a stainless equivalent of the Model 27. As you can probably imagine, these guns are the most durable, heaviest, and best at absorbing recoil, but can invite comparisons to a boat anchor when carried. Their grip frames can be uncomfortably big for people with small hands. They're also considered to be the most desirable S&Ws by many collectors, so prices can be steep. FWIW the Model 28 was a basic version of the M27 with fewer options and satin black (rather than polished blue) finish. It was, as the name suggests, marketed as a police gun. It was- and in some areas, still is- the least expensive of the .357 N frames, but prices for all of these guns have climbed sharply in recent years. Finding one in your price range will take some luck, but anything can happen.

Hope this helps.
Old January 21, 2009, 07:25 AM   #12
540mope

Quote:
If the gun is simply going to be a range toy, why do you want the extra power of the .357 Magnum?
simple, with the S&Ws he is considering he can use both 38 SP and 357 ammo at the range...keep it loaded with 357 for home and personal defense.

i really like the 66s

4" 66-4 and 2 1/2" 66-2

Last edited by 540mope; January 21, 2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old January 21, 2009, 10:57 AM   #13
woad_yurt

K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame! K-frame!

Oh yeah: Used with a 4" barrel. Well within your budget. Stainless even.

EDIT: I guess I should've looked at 540mope's post more closely first. Seems we're in sync, a little. I love the Model 66. Anyway, what he said.
Old January 21, 2009, 11:32 AM   #14
Wuchak

You cannot go wrong with S&W or Ruger. My suggestion is to go for a stainless model with a 4" barrel. The 4" barrel gives the option of using it for a CCW while still providing enough sight radius for accurate longer shots and barrel length for good bullet velocity. The 4" is the do-it-all barrel, the 6" is for a dedicated hunting or open carry in the woods gun.

IMHO a stainless 4" .357 revolver is the single all around most useful firearm a person can own, that includes rifles and shotguns. I know some will disagree with this but I'll bet even those who put something else at the top of the list would have the 4" ss .357 right near the top.
Old January 21, 2009, 11:34 AM   #15
carguychris

Just as a follow-up to the last few posts, S&W has discontinued regular-production K frame .357s except for the odd Performance Center special edition, but used ones are abundant. I suggest looking for a 4" or 6" barrel, since they're the most range-friendly and the most common, which holds the prices down. The shorter-barreled models (2-1/2" or 3") command 20%-30% higher prices due to their relative rarity and more CCW-friendly size.

FWIW the Model 620 was basically intended as the replacement for the Model 66 to sell to police departments that still want revolvers. (All 4 of them. But I digress. ) Although it's slightly larger and heavier overall, it has a more rear-heavy balance that makes it point like an M66. Some K frame fans don't like the ubiquitous 4"-barrel 586/686 because they're muzzle-heavy.
Old January 21, 2009, 11:37 AM   #16
18DAI

A nice 4" 66 is just the thing. Good choice!

Within your budget, you will still have plenty left over to buy ammo. Regards 18DAI.
Old January 21, 2009, 12:36 PM   #17
Maromero

Quote:
IMHO a stainless 4" .357 revolver is the single all around most useful firearm a person can own, that includes rifles and shotguns. I know some will disagree with this but I'll bet even those who put something else at the top of the list would have the 4" ss .357 right near the top.
Agree. It all depends on what you are looking for. A stainless 4" .357 revolver is a jack of all trades but a master of none. If you want an allround revolver, that's the way to go. If you have a more specialized use (hunting, more accuracy, CC, ext.) there are better options.
Old January 21, 2009, 01:03 PM   #18
jg0001

At a decent sized bookstore, you should be able to find in the magazine section the 2009 Smith & Wesson magazine. In the back 15 pages or so, it lists every current S&W handgun & rifle with detailed info on the differences between the models.
Old January 21, 2009, 03:04 PM   #19
dabigguns357

I'll vote 686 all the way.heck i'm about to get another one.
Old January 21, 2009, 04:04 PM   #20
XDnubie

From what everyone is saying I do believe I'll be looking for the 4". My options seem to be: a S & W Model 586/686 series which a lot of ya'll have mentioned, S & W Model 66, Ruger GP 100 series which was mentioned a good bit in this thread, and the Taurus Model 66 I mentioned to begin with. I suppose my next step is to actually shoot them. Unfortunately I have not shot any of these models and the only one I've held is the Taurus Model 66 which the local gun store had new. That felt decent in my hand.

Anyone have any testimonials about the shooting of these 4 models? Which company has better service guarantee etc.?(Obviously this won't factor though if I buy an used one in order to stay below my price max)
Old January 21, 2009, 05:01 PM   #21
dabigguns357

I've been shooting a 686 since 1996 and haven't had the first problem with it.Though i don't carry mine like i use to,i still carry it in the woods while hunting and hiking.Oh and did i mention i'm buying another one just so i can have a pair.
Old January 21, 2009, 05:05 PM   #22
Wuchak

If you stay with S&W and Ruger there is no bad choice. It's the one that you like best. Each has its pluses but in the end they balance out. Both S&W and Ruger will take care of problems even if you are not the original owner. Customer service for both is excellent.

Taurus customer service is completely different matter and really deserves to be classified as it's own circle of Hades.
Old January 21, 2009, 05:30 PM   #23
woad_yurt

Ya gotta shoot a Model 66 S&W before you buy anything. You'll like, I promise.

Tags
model 66 , revolver , taurus