The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 2, 2013, 08:32 AM   #1
smokey63

m1 garand winchester manufactured

Working on an m1 and need some imput . this rifle fires great and action is smooth .The problem is the last 2 unfired bullets eject with the clip. Someone has replaced the clip retaining arm ,could this aftermarket part be causing a timing issue? Does anyone have the deminsions of the timing block so I can machine one to check timing? THANKS SMOKEY63
Old August 3, 2013, 09:30 AM   #2
Dirty Dan

M-1 Garand Winchester Manufacture

Smokey; I have a 1943 Winchester Garand, grades about 90%. I purchased it from CMP, in Anniston, Alabama years ago. Thankfully, I have never had the first problem with the rifle. When I received it, I notice the receiver group had been gone through, and was engraved SA.
I would recommend you contact CMP, as their armorers really know the Garand, and have them ship you whatever part(s) you and the armorer deem necessary to put the classic you own, back in business..Good Luck
Old August 3, 2013, 07:35 PM   #3
Orlando

CMP armorers do not work on rifles CMP didnt receintly sell

You dont need a timing block
95% of the time early ejection is either the clip latch spring , personally I would replace it and the Op Rod spring at the same time. Do not use Wolff extra power springs as they can cause short stroking
Order springs from Orion 7
next most common worn part to cause this issue is the lobe on the bullet guide gets worn.
Clip latch (which you replaced) is usually the last part to wear
Old August 3, 2013, 10:14 PM   #4
Dirty Dan

M-1 Garand, Winchester Mfg.

Was NOT recommending, or implying CMP works on Garands for outside customers..Was alluding to the fact they have mountains of "original issue" Garand parts. I am not into fitting a milsurp with after market parts. After Market parts are usually more expensive, and the long gun is no longer 100% original. Replace what is worn with parts made for the military weapon...The CMP armorers can/will help you diagnose the problem, only.
Old August 4, 2013, 06:37 AM   #5
Orlando

Uh, no CMP armorers do not diagnose rifles that werent purchased from them . They also do not sell Garand parts, USGI parts are available anywhere.

Problem with the OP's rifle is a simple /common issue easily fixed
Old August 4, 2013, 07:39 AM   #6
grumpa72

Why not head over to the CMP and ask there? http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdispla...er=desc&page=4 This question has been asked before although I didn't read and have no knowledge of it. These guys have an amazing knowledge base and I would guess that every known malfunction to the Garand has been diagnosed and fixed via help from this forum.

edit:

Let me add that I have purchased original, surplus parts from some of the members of the forum and their help has been amazing.

Last edited by grumpa72; August 4, 2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old August 4, 2013, 10:30 AM   #7
Orlando

I have already told the OP what do do to fix his issue
Old August 4, 2013, 08:42 PM   #8
grumpa72

Orlando,
You did and I missed it. Sorry.
Old August 5, 2013, 09:45 AM   #9
smokey63

m1 garand

Thanks guys for all you help ! Just got in this morning and wiil take a close look at these parts you have listed.this is my first garand and i really appreciate all your help .THANKS, SMOKEY63