The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 18, 2012, 11:41 PM   #1
sabo954

Reflex Sight: High-Recoil

BLUF: Looking for suggestions for a cost-effective reflex sight, rated for high recoil.

So... Since my frankenstein Mosin Nagant M44 finally trashed the el-cheapo, used NC Star 4x LER scope I had mounted on it, I've been debating on what to put on it's rail next. The rifle isn't all that accurate in the first place, so we're not trying to get MOA performance here. Heck, minute-of-torso is acceptable, as I wouldn't anticipate even trying to use this rifle against anything important beyond 150 yards. And even that's pushing it. It's an experiment in-progress, and I'm not kidding when I tell you it's a frankenstein.

I like how you can keep both eyes open with a reflex sight, as it does wonders for peripheral vision and depth perception in a tactical situation. Not to mention fast target acquisition. Next experiment: tactical anti-material rifle. I want a reflex sight that can survive the recoil. However, I'm open to other sight ideas.
Old March 19, 2012, 01:38 AM   #2
hoytinak

Depends on that you consider "cost-effective". On my last deployment I used an Eotech 553 on my M2, worked great and handled the .50bmg recoil just fine.
Old March 20, 2012, 12:12 AM   #3
sabo954

Yeah, everybody seems to like EOTech and Trijicon, etc. But I'm not going to shell out for a sight of any kind that costs more than the rifle I'm putting it on... That'd be bad economic policy. I paid $90 pre-shipping for the rifle (years ago), and I'd like to keep the cost of the sight under $70 post-shipping. It doesn't need to be the most cutting edge and tack-driver grade optic out there, it just needs to survive.
Old March 23, 2012, 01:32 AM   #4
plumbercrack

I can't think of one unde $70 dollars that is that rugged. Those rifles kick like 2 mules. Check this one out I use it on my Yugo SKS and it holds up

http://www.gunstuff4you.com/product/54930
Old March 23, 2012, 11:32 AM   #5
wogpotter

Get a Kobra.
It's not going to be cheap, but its not as expensive as a holosight either & it'll handle all the recoil you can & then some.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old March 25, 2012, 06:38 PM   #6
arizona98tj

Quote:
.....and I'd like to keep the cost of the sight under $70 post-shipping.
When you find one, it will most likely go the same route as the NC Star you mentioned. Good luck.
Old March 25, 2012, 07:44 PM   #7
insomni

if you're wanting something smaller here's a pic of a Royal marine rocking an EOTech on his .338 (I believe that qualifies as high recoil)

bet it works.

*EDIT* also, the old addage of "Good optics on a crappy gun will always beat crappy optics on a good gun" applies here.