The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 7, 2010, 04:55 PM   #1
Younggun21

Unknown year colt 32. D.a

HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm trying to figure out what year this colt is, but it is rusted out so bad that that even the cylinder wont come out, but it spins and the trigger and hammer work, please help me find out what year it is.

Also i've heard that if i were to stick it in a bag full of vaseline and WD40 that the rust would break up but that doesn't sound legit anyother suggestions?

Thank You with any and all help in this matter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0307001429.jpg (165.3 KB, 81 views)
Old March 7, 2010, 08:12 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Forget the Vaseline and WD-40.
WD-40 alone will work, but Vaseline won't help it'll just make a mess.

Other, better options are to soak it in penetrating fluids like Kroil, or in kerosene. Most hardware stores will sell penetrating fluids and you can buy Kroil at many gun stores where its sold as a bore solvent. Any of these will penetrate and loosen the rust.
You can also help it along by brushing the metal with a brass "toothbrush".
This will help remove the rust, but the pitting will be left.

The picture isn't very clear, but it looks like one of the old Colt New Pocket, Pocket Positive, or New Police series models.
The model is stamped on the barrel.
Without a serial number and model name, its not possible to give a production date.
Serial numbers were stamped under the barrel on the frame where the cylinder crane seats, and on the crane opposite the frame number.
Some early models may be stamped on the butt.

Production on these old models started in 1895 and ended around 1907.
Old March 7, 2010, 08:56 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I can't see the butt. It may be either a Colt .32 New Police revolver or a long barrel Colt .32 New Pocket revolver. They were identical except that the former had a square butt, the latter a round one. Both the New Pocket and the early New Police were marked "Colt D.A. .32" on the left side of the barrel.

FWIW, as a penetrant, I much prefer something called G96 Gun Treatment, a spray, but hosing down the insides of the gun will amount to the same thing as soaking.

Jim
Old March 7, 2010, 11:37 PM   #4
Younggun21

Thanks

Thank You Dfariswheel & Jim for helping me, but what do you mean about square butt as in it's flat, thanks for the suggestions, i thought it was something from the 50's because I found it while helping my dad take things out of the storage shed mixed with some of my gradpas stuff but from 1907 wow!

Hey it has little ingraved word on the write side that says colt ..w police this mean anything?

Last edited by Younggun21; March 7, 2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: More info

Tags
32. , colt , revolver , rust , unknown