The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 18, 2007, 04:43 PM   #1
Fernley

American Arms Silver II

12ga over and under. Made is Spain.

Just got it in an inheritance. I know nothing about it. No manual. Spotless with a box of choke tubes. Beautiful gun and well kept.

I googled it and can't find anything. Are they still making them? Any assisstance is a help.

Thanks.

Fernley
Semper Primus!
Old April 19, 2007, 05:48 PM   #2
ebutler462

American Arms had several different O/U's. Can you give a better description? Is it plain or engraved? One trigger or two? Ejectors or extractors? Maybe we can narrow what gun you have.

Checkered or plain wood? Tell us what you can about your gun and we will try to help you. There are about 10-12 O/U's and we need to get a better description. Is there any other letters on the gun, such as Bristol, Sterling, Silver, WS, or WT? It would be helpful in narrowing it down.
Old April 19, 2007, 07:03 PM   #3
BigJimP

Most of their guns were sold thru chain stores like Big 5 Sporting goods, etc - most any good gun shop can evaluate it for you.

In general - the barrel connections are not the strongest - but they were good serviceable guns. In general they were less expensive than similar offerings by Beretta or Browning - which are usually considerd more long term / able to stand up to heavy usage guns. But if it fits you - and you like it - keep it and shoot it - and have some fun with it.

I think they made guns under at least 3 or 4 names as well.
Old April 19, 2007, 07:20 PM   #4
Fernley

Wow...

Thanks to both of you.

First off I like the gun and it feels good when I pull it in and fire it. Accuracy wise I haven't gotten out and run it up yet.

I specifically bought it for use at the local skeet range. i've never had an over/ under so I'm kinda excited by it.

So to describe it.................. yes it is very nicely engraved on the receiver etc.. I'll pull it apart this weekend and get all the numbers and so forth. I'll post it and some photos as well. Look for something om Monday.

Again, Thanks.

Fernley
Semper Primus!
Old April 19, 2007, 07:52 PM   #5
ebutler462

Will do. There are 2 pages of American Arms in my references. It will help to narrow it down. The names I gave you are some of the models.
Old April 19, 2007, 08:17 PM   #6
ebutler462

OK. Found what we are looking for.

Silver II: Similar to Silver I, except with single selective trigger, 26" barrels, automatic ejectors. This gun was imported in 1987 or somewhat later. American Arms was/is a distrbutor in N. Kansas City, Mo. Current value: $404.00-$576.00, according to condition. Most of the Silver II's had screw-in chokes. Antique silver receiver with scroll engraving. This gun new: $700.00.

According to my reference this gun is still available. My reference states see: Franchi Arms. Apparently they are importing it under a new name-Don't know. This is a new one on me. Took a while to find it.
Old April 20, 2007, 04:32 PM   #7
Fernley

Wonderful!

Thanks for the info. That sounds exactly like the gun I now have. It did come with 4 pairs of chokes.

It is in great condition and seems to come up well etc. so I think I'll start using it for skeet. I havn't ever shot skeet until last week and I had a chance to go a couple rounds with some guy at the local club. I had a blast. Mybe this isn't the best gun for it but it'll probably be good enough to get started.

Thank you for you help.

Fernley
Semper Primus!
Old December 1, 2011, 11:33 AM   #8
hankmattern

hank

I realize this is an old post. I just recieced an american arms silver ll I think was made in 1987. would anyone know the maker? i need choke tubes.
Old December 1, 2011, 12:40 PM   #9
johnbt

The lists I have say "Traditions by Fausti"

Here's an example:

www.crankyfarmer.com/americanarms.html
Old December 2, 2011, 09:17 AM   #10
hankmattern

Thanks