The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 10, 2009, 09:38 PM   #1
ericswan_1

trying to find a chronograph?

Im looking for a good chronograph in the 100 to 200 dollar range. I want a good one easy to use and accurate. the particular one I was thinking of you can purchase extra software to take your laptop with you to the range and the chrono will work in parallel with the lap top, meaning your laptop will display the info in real time from the chronograph. does any one have any suggestions on any different ones pros and cons, and does anyone know the name of the one im thinking of. thanks for your help.

Eric
Old April 11, 2009, 06:37 AM   #2
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. Probably any of the CHRONY MASTER range should do what you want. The MASTER model has the remote read out. I dont know if you can have the lap top hooked up 'live', but they can plug in and chrony do sell software. I would also be interested to find out what the software is like as I have a CHRONY BETA MASTER.
Old April 11, 2009, 10:41 AM   #3
thekyrifleman

The shooting chronyis as good as any and I think still under $100. I have one of the originals...it came with carboard screens..have had it updated over the yeas and it still works fine.
Old April 23, 2009, 08:39 AM   #4
firsttimefirearms123

iApp

Has anyone used an iApp at the range? I heard they have a free shot timer that is not perfect, but it IS free....
Old April 23, 2009, 09:49 AM   #5
azar92

Before getting my chronograph I looked at a lot of different models and weighed all the features I wanted. You have to ask yourself what's important to you. I read a lot of opinions on what was good and bad about the various brands and models. I decided that I wanted a chronograph that met this criteria:

Moderately priced (basically, your same price range).
A remote display that I could have on the bench right next to me.
The ability to handle multiple shot strings instead of just one long string.
Built-in statistical functions (average velocity, standard deviation, extreme spread, etc).

I decided that the Shooting Chrony Beta Master fit my needs. I don't get to go to the range all too often but I have taken it probably 9 or 10 times and have only had a single read error. It's lived up to all the expectations I had and I am quite happy with it.
Old April 23, 2009, 10:01 AM   #6
Sport45

My advice is to get a chronograph that stores the information so you can download it at home or in your vehicle.

I travel a lot. With that in mind, I never take my laptop to the range where it would be exposed to gunshot residue, unburnt powder, and other stuff the TSA would take an interest in. Just something to think about....
Old April 23, 2009, 11:14 AM   #7
Smokey Joe

Bells & whistles...

Eric Swan 1--I got a screamin' deal on a Shooting Chrony Gamma Master, so I plunged for it, thinking as I did so, "WHAT am I ever going to do with all these bells & whistles???"

Well, the remote readout means that you get the signal right at your shooting bench, not 15' out in front. (And also, that there's less electronics downrange to damage if [when] you shoot the chrono!) And the calculating printer records, and prints, each shot velocity as you shoot, then does all the math and prints up the average, high, and low velocities, plus standard deviation. All automatically. Rip off the printed tape, tape it to yr target along with the reload data, and done!

What's not to like??

BTW, the directions recommended replacing the steel rods holding up the sun screens with wooden rods, so if [when] you shoot one of the rods, there is less damage to the base. I thought that was a VERY good idea. I made up a couple extra dowel rods just in case.

I bo't a fishing tackle box big enough to hold the Chrony--NOT folded up--the screens, the printer, all the wires, extra batteries, extra dowel rods, roll of printer paper, etc, etc, and just keep the whole rig in it. That way, there's nothing to lose or forget when you take the chrono to the range.

And it turns out, that I like the bells & whistles I got.

--Smokey Joe
Old April 23, 2009, 11:51 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Would recommend the CED M2, which is at the upper end of the price range you are in. One set of German military tests gave its predecessor the best accuracy rating at the time (now a decade back). It has self-adjusting sky screen sensitivity to compensate for lighting condition changes, which are the source of the most frequent complaints I've seen about other makes. The computer is remote from the screens and all the components are separately replaceable. The display is the largest I've seen, and can be set on the ground and read through a spotting scope if you are doing velocity loss measurements to determine ballistic coefficients. You do need a tripod to mount its screen rail on, but so do most of them.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 23, 2009, 12:09 PM   #9
ZeSpectre

Interesting thread, I've almost bought a chrony a few times and now I'm branching out into performance airgun mods so maybe I'll finally go ahead and get something.
Old April 23, 2009, 12:44 PM   #10
armedandsafe

Just for giggles

This is one of the first chronographs to show upon a google:

http://perfect-timing.biz/product/H1008/full/

Kinda out of your price range, I suspect.

I have used my Chrony for about 20 years, now. Works for me, I don't have all the bells 'n' whistles, but I'm lusting for a top line one, now.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old April 23, 2009, 04:30 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

Little tough measuring bullet speed with that one unless your thumb is really quick on the start-stop.

If you do want something that is high-end amateur, then this 16 MHz clocked, German-made unit is probably the way to go. Appears to resolve at least half feet per second; perhaps tenths. I can't make out from the write-up.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle