The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 24, 2007, 02:03 AM   #1
joneb

AA#9 for a 4" .357 mag ?

I picked a lb of AA#9 on closeout for $14, my heavy load powder is Blue Dot with 158 and 180 jacketed bullets this powder has worked well, and is fairly accurate for me with standard small pistol primers. I don't like to push Blue Dot as it seems temperature sensitive and will not meter that well in my powder throw, it's just pretty good.
Now I will try this new powder and I am wondering which primers will work best. Will I be limited to magnum primers ? and does barrel length play into primer selection?
thanks jj
Old July 24, 2007, 07:11 AM   #2
Linear Thinker

AA#9 and BlueDot are comparable in burning rate, I always had good results with both in 357. BlueDot is harder to ignite than #9, in my opinion. So, I use mag primers with BD, and regular primers with #9. Both powders need a good heavy crimp on the case, like most magnum powders.

Barrel length does not figure in primer selection, only the powder and the amount of it does.
Since both #9 and BlueDot are slow burning, neither will burn completely in a 4" barrel. Enjoy the light show!
LT
Old July 24, 2007, 04:30 PM   #3
rg1

Accurate Arms load data recommends a standard primer with their AA#9 loads. AA#9 has become my favorite 158gr. 357mag rifle and pistol powder. It gives good velocity and small extreme spread plus accuracy. I use CCI 500's with my .357 loads of AA#9.