The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 20, 2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Dboy007

The Game changer

i was watching this video about these 2 college students in texas who are trying to change the game of gun laws you need to check it out http://defensedistributed.com/.Tell me what you think
Old March 21, 2013, 05:02 AM   #2
2ndsojourn

I think this thread will be closed as a drive-by. I also think their website will be shut down and the site owners will find themselves in court.
Old March 21, 2013, 05:52 AM   #3
ScottRiqui

I don't think the site owners are going to get into trouble, at least not in the long run (although there may be some initial knee-jerk attempts to shut them down).

Distributing programming instructions to make gun parts on a 3-D printer isn't fundamentally different from distributing plans, instructions or engineering drawings on paper, and as far as I know, that's legal.

It's up to the end user to make sure he doesn't run afoul of the law by producing something he shouldn't.
Old March 21, 2013, 06:40 AM   #4
2ndsojourn

I listened to the video again, and around 1:15 they note that they "stand against copyrights, intellectual property.....". Just like Napster several years ago, I think they're going to wind up in court for copyright and patent infringement.
Old March 21, 2013, 07:55 AM   #5
ScottRiqui

Quote:
I think they're going to wind up in court for copyright and patent infringement.
Time will tell, but if they're taking original submissions from creators, and those creators provide their submissions under a "creative commons" type of royalty-free license, or place them in the public domain outright, then there won't be any problems.

On the other hand, if they start distributing plans to make near-exact duplicates of existing weapons, then they probably will run up against patent laws.
Old March 21, 2013, 08:20 AM   #6
TAKtical

Im not gonna hold my breath.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old March 21, 2013, 09:04 AM   #7
alex0535

So someone mentioned that these guys would be shut down and find themselves in court. That may one day be the case, but they recently became federally licensed to make and sell guns.

They are taking steps to become a more legitimate distributor of firearms and firearm components.

Where they crosses paths with 3D printing and other non licensed people printing lowers and mags is unprecedented. A number of us have been watching this for a long time, and it get posted over and over again.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...make-sell-guns
Old March 21, 2013, 02:12 PM   #8
lcpiper

There are generally only so many ways to make widget x interact with widget y, sooner or later one of these inventors will fall afoul of a patented design or process and that will start it all. And as soon as it becomes a few different entities involved it starts looking like conspiracy to commit whatever.

Young folks today
Old March 22, 2013, 07:28 AM   #9
rebs

TAKtical
I tried to send you a pm but it says your box is full
Old March 24, 2013, 05:51 PM   #10
Nickel Plated

As loong as they will only be doing what they say they will, I don't see any sort of legal trouble they could get into.
The AR15 isnt patented. Dozens of companies make them. These DD lowers are no different regardless of wether they are CNC milled or 3D printed.

Amd just because they are against patent laws doesn't mean they will be stupid enough to start making publicly available copies of patented designs.
Old March 24, 2013, 09:13 PM   #11
Metal god

Quote:
It's up to the end user to make sure he doesn't run afoul of the law by producing something he shouldn't
The antis are saying It's not Adam Laza it's Bushmaster thats the problem . They will find a way to make the guy that downloaded the file the bad guy and not the guy that pulled the trigger .

Quote:
On the other hand, if they start distributing plans to make near-exact duplicates of existing weapons, then they probably will run up against patent laws.
The plans and specs for the AR lower are already out there . All one needs to do is feed that info into there printer and push print . Is that any different then putting a magazine cover in you printer and pushing print or any photograph ? Somebody else owns the rights to that photo or the cover of the magazine . If you make a copy of it in your own home and hang it on your wall . Did you just commit a crime ? I say no .

This could be a good topic for the Law section of TFL

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old March 24, 2013, 10:02 PM   #12
WyMark

yeahbut.....

still a drive-by.