The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 2, 2009, 03:35 PM   #1
tpcollins

Is there a better pistol loading block?

I have the red MTM loading block which works great for .243 but the reverse side wasn't the greatest when I loaded my first 10 cases for .40 S&W. Is there a particular loading block that's more suitable for .40 S&W? Thanks.
Old May 2, 2009, 04:00 PM   #2
JD 500

I drill holes into a 1 foot long chunk of 2"x10".

Use it for rifle and pistol.

If you have scrap wood it could be free.
Old May 2, 2009, 04:56 PM   #3
Sixer

You can also use the plastic trays that come with most boxes of factory ammo. I usually pick up the discarded boxes at my range and use them as loading blocks.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old May 2, 2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Tex S

I like RCBS. They are square, hold 50 rounds, and stack very neatly. I have seen MTM and I like RCBS better. Same thing in a smaller package.
Old May 2, 2009, 06:12 PM   #5
David Wile

Hey TP,

For metallic cartridges, I have purchased and used a number of different commercial loading blocks including MTM blocks. When I first started loading many years ago, I was given two commercially made wood blocks (I forget who made them then) by a friend who helped get me started. As I started loading more cartridges, I bought various plastic blocks from folks like Herter's, Lyman, MTM, and a bunch more. I quickly found that I really liked the wood blocks much better than all the others, and I began to buy wood blocks for all my cartridges. I am not sure who makes the wood blocks today, but a few years ago you could still buy them from Midway. I think they are a bit expensive, but I really prefer the wood blocks and spent them money for them. I even have a wood block that will hold 25 ACP cases.

I still have a dozen or so plastic blocks sitting on my shelf, but I never use them. It is not that I think the wood blocks are better, but rather, that I just prefer working with the wood blocks.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old May 2, 2009, 06:23 PM   #6
rn22723

Stalwart Reloading blocks are made of wood, and seem to really be good trays....
Old May 3, 2009, 08:49 AM   #7
The_Vigilante

Is there a better pistol loading block?

The wooden pistol/rifle blocks are nice but could get expensive if you load a lot of calibers.
Old May 3, 2009, 09:02 AM   #8
Stargazer

Quote:
You can also use the plastic trays that come with most boxes of factory ammo. I usually pick up the discarded boxes at my range and use them as loading blocks.
Me too! These work excellent as loading blocks. I needed one for my .380 cases so I took a black Fiocchi plastic tray and cut it into lengthwise and now it is like 1/4" tall so I can pick the cases back out of it. Did two that way and they work just fine.

M70 Web Page
Old May 3, 2009, 09:15 AM   #9
Ozzieman

About 30 years ago I made these blocks out of very high grade laminated wood. Not plywood but material that was used to make die cutting blocks.
The holes were cut to hold my favorite calibers and even though I put a lot more money into them than the cheep plastic blocks would have cost they work much better.
This one holds 45ACP (large) 223 and 9mm (small)
I also made several for 44 and 30-06

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 3, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:05 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

about $5

The gray MTM block is for handgun cases.

I have a half-dozen.....