The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old August 11, 2010, 12:23 PM   #1
Magnum-PI

Shootout at the "Waffle House"

The "Waffle House" is a chain of 1500 restaurants located across the United States usually in firearm friendly areas. They are open 24 hours. Oftentimes, hunters, police officers and other firearms carrying members of the public visit its many locations which makes for an interesting mix. Since its locations are open 24 hours and frequented by weapons oriented members of the public as well as experienced teams of holdup artists, there tends to be shootouts In fact, a google search reveals that shootouts and armed robberies tend to take place nearly weekly at the "Waffle House"...

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...804d37b84b33a1

This thread is intended to discuss your experiences at the "Waffle House" and how you might defend yourself against such armed robberies by these wanton criminals.
Old August 11, 2010, 12:44 PM   #2
Magnum-PI

Here is an article about open-carrying into the "Waffle House" as a tactic to deter violent criminals.

http://www.examiner.com/x-5619-Atlan...ry-in-Kennesaw
Old August 11, 2010, 12:55 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

My personal tactic for dealing with potential violence at Waffle House is...

eat at a decent restaurant, not the slice of horrific kitchen hell those things are.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 11, 2010, 01:03 PM   #4
Skans

That's all? I heard that robberies tend to take place daily at the gas station, at the convenience store, in the house, and in the Walmart parking lot..... Must be because these places are not frequented by weapons oriented members of the public - just experienced teams of holdup artists looking for an easy, non-threatening oportunity for "free money". I also hear that rapes take place exclusively when the victim is unarmed.
Old August 11, 2010, 01:10 PM   #5
Skans

One other comment - Ever since our socienty has become "open for business" 24-7, this has provided armed thieves far greater than three times the oportunity to pull off a successful heist.

If a town wants to cut down on its crime it will:

1. ban businesses from being open more than 14 hours a day and require all businesses to be closed from 10:00 pm to 5:00 a.m.;
2. require all businesses to be closed on Sundays, and
3. Prohibit the sale of alcohol within its county/city limits.
4. Require all residents to own at least one gun.

These four things will eliminate more crime than anything else.
Old August 11, 2010, 01:12 PM   #6
rattletrap1970

No.. Actually allowing people to carry on the job so they can smoke a round through the POS's that commit these robberies will stop crime.
Old August 11, 2010, 01:14 PM   #7
Skans

Quote:
No.. Actually allowing people to carry on the job so they can smoke a round through the POS's that commit these robberies will stop crime.
Do that too! But, this is more of a measure "after the fact" meant to deal with problems created by the 24/7 society.
Old August 11, 2010, 01:24 PM   #8
zukiphile

Quote:

1. ban businesses from being open more than 14 hours a day and require all businesses to be closed from 10:00 pm to 5:00 a.m.;
No need for step #4. The first three will have everyone moving elsewhere.

No people, no crime.
Old August 11, 2010, 01:33 PM   #9
DanThaMan1776

Quote:

These four things will eliminate more crime than anything else.
I see you're a member of the population who thinks more government will solve our problems.

Personally, I believe that the contrary yields the best standards of living for Americans.. including crime. Sure.. businesses which are open late invite more people to populate the streets at night. Sure.. alcohol can lead to unruly behavior. But where does personal responsibility come into play here? Should cities ban arguments among neighbors too? Should cities ban movie theaters from airing controversial movies? Perhaps burn books which can stem rebellious behavior?

The only real solution is complete and utter freedom (the justice of which protected by a limited government).
Old August 11, 2010, 01:44 PM   #10
Evan Thomas

Ooohhh, nooooo... the dreaded "Waffle House Scenario."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin

eat at a decent restaurant, not the slice of horrific kitchen hell those things are.
Just so. :barf:

It's not just Waffle House... only, there are a lot of them. Google "restaurant robbery" and you'll get nearly two million hits.

Cash business + open 24 hours = easy pickings.

Don't go there in the wee hours (or better yet, at all)... know where the exits are... and don't go waving your gun around unless someone actually starts shooting. In an armed robbery, being the first one to do so isn't likely to improve the situation.
Old August 11, 2010, 01:57 PM   #11
rattletrap1970

I agree Dan
Old August 11, 2010, 02:05 PM   #12
Skans

My solution would mean much less government. Just like you said - "businesses which are open late invite more people to populate the streets at night" which requires more regulation and more police because this naturally causes more problems. I don't see any reason why towns can't implement what I've outlined - and in fact, some do. Are they going to grow into big cities? No - folks who want big city life will move to the big cities. I can assure you that a town that doesn't have 24/7 businesses and doesn't permit the sale of alcohol won't have the gang problems and crime that other cities have. This doesn't mean that you can't drink alcohol in your own house - just that you will have to make the effort to buy it elsewhere.
Old August 11, 2010, 02:36 PM   #13
DanThaMan1776

Skans.. what makes you think it's okay in the great free country we live in for the GOVERNMENT to tell ME when to close MY business? If I deem it good for my business to remain open 24/7 because my profits are greater, that's a decision I should be able to make without interference. A smart businessman, like rattletrap said, would arm his employees and get the best of both worlds (less crime, more profit).

A full moon doesn't bring the badguys out.. targets do. If people stop roaming the streets at night the BGs will just move their crime sprees to daytime.
Old August 11, 2010, 02:55 PM   #14
tcox4freedom

Skans;
I see a big flaw in that plan. (Besides more "nanny" laws)

It would be a virtual impossibility to resupply every single business during day time hours. The daytime "truck" traffic would make destroy a LOT of businesses and add to the nightmare of "Rush Hour" traffic problems.

To some degree, business has to be done 24/7 in this country.
Old August 11, 2010, 03:08 PM   #15
kraigwy

Quote:

That's not very Redneck of you.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 11, 2010, 03:11 PM   #16
skydiver3346

Eating at the Waffle house:

Actually I love eating at my favorite Waffle house. Great cook (been there for years) and super good breakfast, etc. Of course, I am always carrying and usually sit with my back against the wall in a booth if possible. I am not going to allow the potential of some dirt bag to spoil my eggs and hasbrowns (ohhh, so good), but that doesn't mean I am not always alert to the possibility of bad guys being bad guys.....
Old August 11, 2010, 03:58 PM   #17
nikdfish

All the Waffle Houses in my neck of the woods (prev. WV, now NC) have been posted for no carry. I thought that was a national policy for them ...

Nick
Old August 11, 2010, 04:35 PM   #18
armoredman

Quote:
I work Swing Shift, sometimes Graveyard, and occaisionall need to stop by a store on the way to work or home. What happens if I break down, all tow companies are closed? So I can walk 35 miles home in the dark, and hope I don't get mugged?
Quote:
I work for the state, and work all weekend. I may need fuel or groceries on Sunday, because public safety doesn't take a day off. Not everyone can take Sunday off, so punishing us is a bad idea. Besides, ever run out of infant formula at midnight on Saturday? I have. Who wil supply/work in the hospitals, fix the power outages, repair the washouts, you see how this won't work.
Quote:
Get thee back, Puritan! Prohibition died out how long ago? Are you saying banning the sale of a legal product, alcohol, (insert "guns" for same reaction), will stop crime? Punish all those law abiding people, like myself, who enjoy a drink of an alcoholic beverage sometimes, because some people misuse/abuse it? For shame, sir.
I have eaten at Waffle House, the two in Tucson aren't bad, but nothing special. Dennys is better. Then again, I cook better than both of them.
Old August 11, 2010, 04:43 PM   #19
nate45

LOL

He forgot to outlaw dancin' and rock n' roll.
Old August 11, 2010, 04:46 PM   #20
sserdlihc

"I SAID I WANTED MY HASHBROWNS SCATTERED, SMOTHERED AND COVERED!"

Quote:

Yes and the waitress's with their wonderful demeanor.
Old August 11, 2010, 04:48 PM   #21
orionengnr

If you enter an "Awful House", your digestive tract is at far greater risk than your personal safety...
Old August 11, 2010, 04:59 PM   #22
Magnum-PI

Im serious guys. The Waffle House is a popular place for myself and many other enthusiasts. Its like bikers are to certain bars as pistol enthusiasts are to the Waffle House. Many folks simply open carry their weapons into the place like its an NRA convention gone wild.
Old August 11, 2010, 05:18 PM   #23
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum-PI
The Waffle House is a popular place for myself and many other enthusiasts. Its like bikers are to certain bars as pistol enthusiasts are to the Waffle House. Many folks simply open carry their weapons into the place like its an NRA convention gone wild.
If so, and they're still a hotbed of armed robberies... would that not seem to refute the oft-repeated canard about criminals' being deterred by the presence of armed, law-abiding citizens?

Or are these particular "pistol enthusiasts" not law-abiding? If they're not, that would seem to support the notion that the best "tactic" is to dine elsewhere...

Old August 11, 2010, 06:04 PM   #24
nate45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum-PI
Many folks simply open carry their weapons into the place like its an NRA convention gone wild.

On October 26, 1881 Morgan Earp and J.H. 'Doc' Holiday dined at the Tombstone, AZ Waffle Emporium. According to the testimony of short order cook Lee Fong Wu, they had waffles, eggs, bacon, grits and copious amounts of coffee. Less than two hours later Tom McLaury, Frank McLaury and Billy Clanton lay dead.

Coincidence? Or does waffles, caffeine and Open Carry lead to gun play?

They say that those who don't know history, are doomed to repeat it. Stay out of the Waffle House, the life you save may be your own.
Old August 11, 2010, 06:23 PM   #25
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Stay out of the Waffle House, the life you save may be your own.

'Cuz if the bullets don't getcha, the cholesterol will....