The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 14, 2016, 09:31 AM   #1
longshank

Waterproof Case

Looking for a water tight case to keep moisture out for long Guns. Pelican has good rep but a bit pricey. Any other suggestions?
Old January 14, 2016, 09:59 AM   #2
berrnard

they will all be pricey for a quality case, you just have to look for sales. pelican are the most common and best respected. and the pick n pluck foam you can customize is to fit your firearm exactly.
Old January 14, 2016, 10:02 AM   #3
rpseraph

Are you looking for a gun case that you can keep up at home and keep moisture "free" in the basement? Or another purpose?

I have one of these that I use when I am canoeing in case we dump a canoe...
http://www.cabelas.com/product/SEATT...SE/1866621.uts

But that's a different purpose
Old January 14, 2016, 10:14 AM   #4
wogpotter

You'll get exactly what you pay for. We used to sell Pelican cases & they're hands down the best.
We had a demo one that had a Polaroid camera inside it. It lived in a fish-tank full of (fresh) water.
Anyone who wanted to know why they cost so much we'd take it out of the water & hurl it against a conveniently-located brick wall. Then we'd pick it up, open it, take the Polaroid out & take a pic of the customer asking the question.
Mostly they bought one, it was a GREAT sales gimmick!

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 15, 2016, 10:51 AM   #5
Jay24bal

I have 3 Pelican long gun cases, 2 pelican hand guns cases, and 2 Cabela's Armor Extreme Cases.

I have had both Pelicans and the Cabela's cases caught in serious rainstorms and neither allowed any water in. I have never submerged either of them in standing water. I am so confident in both that have transported guns in the open bed of my truck inside these cases in rain and never even thought twice about it.

Of the two brands, I will keep buying Cabela's version. In my eye, they are equally well made and offer equal protection until I am proven otherwise. The Cabela's cases are usually $50-$75 cheaper. However I do not see myself buying many more. I have bought replacement foam sets though and just have cut out foam sets for different guns since I never really load up more guns than can already fit in the cases I have.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old January 15, 2016, 04:15 PM   #6
MurBob

Pelican is not the only game in town...

I keep my Armalite AR10 in one of those long pelican cases.. Its a very expensive case and is very high quality.

When I bought my Rem870 slug gun, I wanted a new case for it but was kind of turned off by the pelican due to the high cost.

After doing about three days of research, reading amazon reviews on different cases, and watching youtube videos on them, I found one of these on ebay:
http://www.nrastore.com/gear/gun-cas...-long-gun-case

I paid $79 for it brand new from some guy who had "more than 10 available".. whatever that means.

First, its not a Pelican.. but I have to say it is almost just as good. If I had to quantify it, I would say it is about 80%-90% just as good as a pelican. Which, for anyone who owns a pelican knows, that's still a darn good case.

I should note that my Pelican and my NRA case are almost identical in size.. The pelican plastic walls are bit thicker but not by much. The pelican has a stronger snap action when you lock it close.. The NRA case has six latches but the one located at the end with the case handle is a pain because the handle is in the way of large hands.. its a minor complaint and would not have stopped me from buying it.

If you have a $3000 gun and you're worried about a truck running over it during a hurricane, I would get the pelican.. but if all you're worried about is a good quality level of protection that rises above most others, I'd say the NRA case is a darn good deal.
Old January 15, 2016, 09:41 PM   #7
mete

I have one like the Cabelas . Storing at home ? be careful as it's easy to trap moisture inside a case and that will cause rust !!! Allcases should be open when home !
Old January 15, 2016, 10:01 PM   #8
johnwilliamson062

If you are going to submerge them and bang them around through rapids Pelican is great. I've known a couple river guides who beat them to death in whitewater without failure.

In the back of a pick-up, there are probably quite a few that will work fine.
Old January 18, 2016, 11:47 AM   #9
longshank

Thanks!
Old January 18, 2016, 12:51 PM   #10
Doyle

There was a discussion about this subject on the forum about a year ago. It was in regards to keeping a firearm dry on a canoe trip. You might want to go searching to see if something in that thread will give you ideas.