The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 2, 2016, 10:30 PM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

It is my understanding that the MA (and maybe the NJ) law requires the state issued ID card to possess a BB gun (air rifle).
Old January 2, 2016, 10:51 PM   #27
Bill West

When I look at a gun they glance at my FOID and then I put it back in my wallet. Veteran's only need 8 hours of training for the Concealed Carry card.
Old January 2, 2016, 11:13 PM   #28
Armed_Chicagoan

The FOID cost is actually $10 and it's valid for 10 years. There is no separate permit to purchase anything required and there is no gun registration anywhere in Illinois.
Old January 2, 2016, 11:26 PM   #29
dakota.potts

44AMP, you'd be right in some regard. One of the gun groups I'm in on the Facespace has a member who is currently facing felony charges for hunting with an unregistered air gun in New Jersey. Not that that person shouldn't have followed the rules, but a felony or an unregistered air gun is ludicrous.
Old January 3, 2016, 01:04 AM   #30
62coltnavy

California does not have a FOID per se. What it has is the Firearm Safety Certificate (formerly the Handgun Safety Certificate) that is required to receive possession of a firearm, especially at the time of any transfer through an FFL. The card requires passing by a 70% score or higher a 20 question multiple choice test on safe handling (loading, unloading, etc.) and basic transfer law. The fee is $25 ($10 of which goes to the tester, the rest to the State), and the card lasts for only two years. I have never been asked to produce one except when buying a new handgun. The requirement is waived for holders of CCW certificates (which are also only good for two years).
Old January 3, 2016, 02:19 AM   #31
A pause for the COZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technosavant
I think Minnesota still has the old permit to purchase system for handguns but none is required for possession (AFAIK).
You are correct. For a hand gun purchase you need a Permit to purchase.
Obtained from your county sheriff. It last for 1 year.
A carry permit also fulfills the same requirement but only need to be renewed every 5 years.

No requirement for Long gun purchases and neither are needed to possess.

Private sale none is required, just need to verify a MN resident. Cant sell to a known restricted person. I.E. You ask if they can legally own a fire arm.
Old January 3, 2016, 11:01 AM   #32
natman

Quote:
California does not have a FOID per se. What it has is the Firearm Safety Certificate (formerly the Handgun Safety Certificate) that is required to receive possession of a firearm, especially at the time of any transfer through an FFL. The card requires passing by a 70% score or higher a 20 question multiple choice test on safe handling (loading, unloading, etc.) and basic transfer law. The fee is $25 ($10 of which goes to the tester, the rest to the State), and the card lasts for only two years. I have never been asked to produce one except when buying a new handgun. The requirement is waived for holders of CCW certificates (which are also only good for two years).
A couple of points: Formerly a certificate was only required to transfer a handgun, but as of 1/1/15 one is required for ALL transfers in CA. A hunting license is acceptable for long gun transfers only. A Firearms Safety Certificate is good for 5 years, not 2. A passing score is 75% (23 out of 30 questions).

Quote:
How long is a Firearm Safety Certificate valid?
An FSC is valid for five years from the date of issuance.

How do I get a Firearm Safety Certificate?
To obtain an FSC you must score at least 75% (23 correct answers out of 30 questions) on the FSC Test covering firearm safety and basic firearms laws.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/fscfaqs#a3
Old January 3, 2016, 02:15 PM   #33
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
An FSC is valid for five years from the date of issuance.
This kind of thing is one of the biggest boondoggles (aka moneymaker for the govt) found in law. The assumption that, one will automatically forget safety training after a set period of time.

I'm not talking about proficiency testing, like having to get a certain score on the range, or having your vision checked to renew your drivers license, but a written safety exam?? After 5 years, your test answers (proving you know what you are doing) are no longer valid, and you have to prove yourself all over again?? For another fee, of course?

You don't have to take the road test (or a written test in my state) to renew your driver's license. In fact the whole concept that a license is automatically invalid after a set time period is nothing more than a money maker for the state, disguised as a public safety matter.

Believe it or not, 40 years ago, a New York State Pistol Permit was valid for LIFE!!! It could be revoked for cause, (any cause,) but unless revoked it was valid for life. And, back then, it cost something like $25 and there were no safety class requirements, either.

It is certainly not like that in NY today!!!

Is there anyplace, or anything other than a marriage license (or felony conviction??) that is issued by the govt. today that is good for life these days??
Old January 4, 2016, 12:06 PM   #34
2ndsojourn

"... (and maybe the NJ) law requires the state issued ID card to possess a BB gun (air rifle)."

"... but a felony or an unregistered air gun is ludicrous."

HUH???!!! I'll have to check that out. If true, thanks for the heads up.
Old January 4, 2016, 12:13 PM   #35
FlyFish

Quote:
It is my understanding that the MA (and maybe the NJ) law requires the state issued ID card to possess a BB gun (air rifle).
In Mass, that's only the case for minors (< 18 - and it's actually issued by the municipal CLEO, not the state), and only when not accompanied by an adult. Otherwise, air/pellet-type guns are not considered "firearms" and are not regulated as such, although firing a pellet gun from or across a "public way" is specifically prohibited.
Old January 4, 2016, 01:47 PM   #36
Clock

The FOID cost is actually $10 and it's valid for 10 years. There is no separate permit to purchase anything required and there is no gun registration anywhere in Illinois.

When I got my first card (1978?) it was only $5 and even though I've paid the higher rate for my last one, I still think of it as a $5 card.
Old January 4, 2016, 01:48 PM   #37
mrray13

You also have to have your FOID to purchase ammo, center or rimfire. I'll have to look to verify, but I believe it's also needed for air guns with projectile speed over 700fps.
Old January 4, 2016, 02:06 PM   #38
mrray13

Quote:
What is the definition of a firearm according to the FOID Act?
"Firearm" means any device, by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile or projectiles by the action of an explosion, expansion of gas or escape of gas; excluding however:
(1) any pneumatic gun, spring gun, paint ball gun or B-B gun which either expels a single globular projectile not exceeding .18 inch in diameter AND which has a maximum muzzle velocity of LESS than 700 feet per second or breakable paint balls containing washable marking colors;
(2) any device used exclusively for signalling or safety and required or recommended by the United States Coast Guard or the Interstate Commerce Commission;
(3) any device used exclusively for the firing of stud cartridges, explosive rivets or similar industrial ammunition; and
(4) an antique firearm (other than a machine-gun) which, although designed as a weapon, the Department of State Police finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value, design, and other characteristics is primarily a collector's item and is not likely to be used as a weapon.

Yep. Even a bb/pellet gun with speeds over 700fps are firearms and thus require a FOID.
Old January 4, 2016, 04:16 PM   #39
2ndsojourn

^^^ So a Daisy Red Ryder doesn't count. .177 cal, 350 fps.

"...excluding....projectile not exceeding .18 inch in diameter AND which has a maximum muzzle velocity of LESS than 700 feet per second ..."

http://www.daisy.com/node/1
Old January 4, 2016, 09:44 PM   #40
North East Redneck

Here in Mass there are currently two levels of licences.
The FID and LTC. The FID allows for rifle and shotgun purchase and possession, as long as they aren't large capacity weapons, that being they can't hold more than ten rounds or can not use a magazine that holds over ten rounds. So no AR with the FID license.
The LTC is required for purchase or possession of a large capacity rifle or shotgun and all handguns.
The LTC is also the license to carry a concealed handgun but may be subject to restrictions. These restrictions as far as I know may be hunting/target- you can hunt with any legal gun or transport any gun to the range. Guns must be unloaded and stored in a locked container during transport.
Recreation/hunting is a bit looser, you could carry say on a hike in the woods or while camping in the wilderness. But not when you go to the grocery store.
Unrestricted means just that. Carry anywhere that is legal to do so.
There were restrictions on BB/pellet guns until 1998 if memory serves me correctly. FID was required until then.
Also lacking at least an FID you can't purchase ammo, powder, primers, percussion caps etc.
Empty brass is classified as ammo here.
Also there are possession restrictions for the amount of ammo (loaded, not brass, ASFAIK) and primers. 10K center fire, 10K rimfire, 5K shotgun shells and 1K primers. You can apply for a permit to have more, but it opens you up to inspections of how you store the ammo and components for loading.
There are possession limits on the amount of powder you can have also but I'm not sure on the number of pounds. The permit to have more is the same as the one for ammo etc.
Old January 5, 2016, 04:56 AM   #41
Mac Sidewinder

If you are or were in the military (with an honorable discharge) or police then you only have to take an 8 hour course in Illinois for ccw. There are more and more places offering courses so the price is coming down.
Old January 7, 2016, 03:30 PM   #42
Magnum Mike

Minnesota
See a few misinterpreted quotes.
You need a permit to purchase or a Carry Permit to buy a handgun or (rifle,or shotgun with a pistol grip) from a FFL only
21 years old to buy hand gun ammo!