The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 14, 2013, 07:16 PM   #1
BoogieMan

Trophies of war

Many firearms in the US were brought back by our fine men and woman through the years. I have herd of trophies of war paperwork filed in some cases. Other times its not mentioned but it does say no importers stamp.
Is this a federal or state issue?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 14, 2013, 08:27 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

Why is it an issue at all? What time frame are you talking about?
Old February 15, 2013, 08:16 AM   #3
Puddle

Quote:
Other times its not mentioned but it does say no importers stamp
This is interesting, but exactly what says no importer's stamp? I have heard of WWII 'trophy' weapons being brought back, but that was a long time ago. Is there some way to bring back modern weapons from current conflicts? If so, I have never heard of it. But I am genuinely interested in hearing about such a law if one exists.
Old February 15, 2013, 07:07 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

The attitude on war trophy weapons has changed a lot since WWII. Mostly because the regular infantry class rifles these days are assault rifles (and here the term is being used correctly), and so under US law they are machineguns, and not legal for private citizens, as they cannot be legally registered because the registry has been closed, since 1986.

SO, no bring back AKs, or any other select fire or full auto arm can be functional and brought into the US as a "war trophy", at least, not by any private citizen. I believe the DEWAT category of war trohy is still allowed to be approved.

What "no importer's stamp" means is that the gun was brought into the US before 1968. It may be a war bring back, or it may have been inported befrore 68 when the requirement for an importer's stamp went into effect.

All the lack of a stamp does is allow for the possibility that the gun was taken from the enemy's hands or supply stocks and kept by someone who brought it back to the states. Something like a picture, with the signed insciption "Luger #4321 taken from Obfw Schnauser by Cpl Mazzeli, 11/17/43" makes the gun worth a lot more, to some people. Or the registration papers from the military as a war trophy, again, extra value, to some people.

Guns with proof of history are often the "won in a poker game" often on the ship back. Still a valid piece of history, and worth more than the "imported more than 23 years after the end of the war" category, again, to some people.

How much more, and to whom varies widely. Personally, I have some marked and unmarked milsurps, the importers mark doesn't matter to me. I'm interested in the type more than the markings.
Old February 15, 2013, 09:22 PM   #5
vranasaurus

It is almost impossible to bring back firearms. My unit found a gold plated dragunov in an amnesty box. Our Bn Co and staff went through a bunch of hoops to bring it back as a piece of unit history but the customs guys confiscated it before we left.

The attitude toward war trophies has become more restrictive as we became more politically correct. Not to mention the importation restrictions have become better enforced. Basically we have mps acting as customs agents that basically search every vehicle and every bag as we leave country.
Old February 15, 2013, 10:16 PM   #6
BoogieMan

44 AMP- I think you answered most of my question. Thank you. I was referring to old Korean and prior conflicts. In my particular case it is a WWI Hungarian Manlicher without import stamps. But I often see older Luger, P-38's, Mosin, etc... That do not have a import stamp. i was just a bit concerned about putting them in my collection.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 15, 2013, 10:41 PM   #7
hermannr

Private weapons purchased overseas and brought back with the proper paperwork still don't have a commercial inporters mark.

If I remember correctly, Prior to 1968 there was no such thing anyway.