The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 5, 2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Barracuda58

3Gun Rifle

Hi, I am new to the forum and looking for some feedback on a good 3gun rifle. I grew up hunting and fishing in Michigan (northern part of the lower peninsula) however my experience with rifles has been limited to lever action and bolt action rifles. I participated in a steel match this summer and I am hooked. Now I want to expand to 3gun. Thank you in advance, I appreciate your feedback on sorting through these choices.

LWRC M6A2 Stretch 5.56

FN Scar - 16s or 17s

LMT 223

I also, looked at LaRue and JP, both are very nice weapons. However, it looks like there is a wait for the LaRue and I am not sure that the incremental accuracy of the JP is worth the cost, but I really don't know.
Old October 5, 2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Adamantium

You've got quite the budget but the truth is any AR that shoots without jamming will work for 3 gun. I would recommend sticking to 223/5.56 unless you have already confirmed with the clubs you plan on shooting with that they do recognize major PF (or even allow it for that matter), you don't mind competing against fewer shooters, are going to shoot a major PF handgun AND can afford it without skimping on practice. Most people are still better off with a minor PF rifle anyway but shoot what makes you happy.

What is going to be more important than the model of the gun itself is finding out what distances the matches will be shot at so you can pick the best optics setup. 1x red dots and 1-4x scopes are quite popular for shorter ranges. Optics seem to take more abuse than rifles do when you're on the clock FYI.
Old October 5, 2012, 09:44 PM   #3
Adamantium

Also whatever rifle you get put a good comp on the muzzle. The A2 birdcage is obsolete. Here are some primer articles to read on that subject...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/22829784/A...pensators-pt-1
http://www.scribd.com/doc/22829785/A...pensators-pt-2
Old October 5, 2012, 10:56 PM   #4
Deja vu

3 gun is alot of fun. I have not done much of it but the little I did was very exciting. There where guys there with very nice set ups. Many people spent more on there shot gun than I spent on my entire setup.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 6, 2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Willie Lowman

Noveske makes some competition models too.

I'd lean toward a AR15 type rather than the scar due to the vast amount of parts available for the AR15 vs the selection for the scar. Don't get me wrong, the scar is a great rifle.
Old October 6, 2012, 07:33 PM   #6
Barracuda58

Thank you for the feedback. There are so many choices in AR style weapons it really is hard to pick. I spent most the afternoon today at my local shop looking at these and other choices like RRA, Rem, and Armalite and POF. Not sure what I am going to do yet, I am kind of thinking about looking at a little lower priced rifle coupled with better optics. Regardless, at the end of the match it is the guy pulling the trigger as much (maybe more) then the gun. That said, I still like all the advantage I can get. Take care and happy shooting.
Old October 7, 2012, 02:12 PM   #7
stubbicatt

AR15

The games are created and set up to maximize the potential of the AR15. If you shoot something else you will be handicapped. Now, if they set it up to favor the 7.62x39 in a Kalashnikov platform my advice would be different.

I shot "he man" a couple times, it was a lot of fun, but those guys who drive the AR's are, many of them, just fantastic athletes with great skills to watch.

Much as I dislike the AR15, they are the gun to beat.
Old October 10, 2012, 11:04 AM   #8
emcon5

You really need to decide what you are trying to get out of it.

If you just want to go and have fun, and challenge yourself you don't really need anything special.

The old club I used to shoot with was a lot more focused on practical shooting, using realistic situations, sometimes based on real-world events. I shot a rifle match with them using a bolt action K98k Mauser. I did not win, but it was very challenging, and I had fun.

The last match I shot at a different club was a lot more of a gun game, and I used a basic AR Carbine with standard carry-handle A2 sights (shooting from 15 to ~300 yards), a single stack 1911, and a otherwise stock 870 with a mag tube extension.

I challenged myself, and had fun.

Did I win? Of course not, the top guys all had custom rifles with optics, semi-auto shotguns with 26 inch barrels with magazines longer than the barrel.

Before you start spending a bunch of money on gear, you need to consider what your goal is.
Old October 10, 2012, 08:04 PM   #9
Justice06RR

Any AR15 variant would really serve you well. Just pick one that suits you in whatever caliber you decide and stick with it. Nothing wrong with good ol 5.56/223 for anything under 500m.

Quote:
The A2 birdcage is obsolete
Really??

Please explain. They work just fine with all the other AR's in use by hundreds of 3-gunners, myself included. sure there are better options, but in no way are they "obsolete".
Old October 10, 2012, 09:20 PM   #10
Adamantium

In this context obsolete = out of date.

Quote:
sure there are better options
In your own words...
Old October 10, 2012, 11:03 PM   #11
emcon5

My AR Carbine is post federal ban, and it had a muzzle brake over a grooved, (unthreaded) barrel.

It was absurdly loud, so I removed it.

I honestly notice no difference in shooting the rifle. .223 just doesn't kick enough to need a brake, in my experience.
Old October 11, 2012, 05:19 AM   #12
raimius

Brakes really only come into play in a 5.56 when you are trying to shave hundredths off your time, IMO.

Pretty much any reliable AR-15 is going to work for getting into 3 gun. Depending on the ranges involved, your choice of sight systems will be a much bigger player.
Old October 11, 2012, 03:33 PM   #13
allaroundhunter

I will vote for none of those that you listed.

A good out-of-the-box rifle is the Stag 3G. It comes with a 1-in-8 twist 18" stainless steel Shaw fluted barrel, a Samson Evolution free floating handguard, a Stag 3G compensator, rifle length gas system, Magpul ACS stock, and a Geissele S3G (super 3-gun) trigger. All for around $1400.

You will not find a better gun for that price, and while they are hard to find and you might have to wait a month or two.....it will be leaps and bounds above any of those other guns that you have asked about.

Old October 11, 2012, 08:01 PM   #14
Adamantium

A good brake comes in real handy when doing double taps on partially covered targets. Not having to sight in after the first shot shaves off otherwise wasted time.
Old October 12, 2012, 07:23 AM   #15
Barracuda58

Okay, decided on a Daniel Defense M4V2. Can't wait to get it to the range and get shooting. Now need to figure out optics. I want to thank everyone you for all of the feedback. Also, I tried to get my hands on a Stag 3g just to get a look, but I could not find one in my area at the time. So, going to the range this weekend. Here is what I am going with for 3gun -

Kimber Custom 45acp

Rem 870 tactical 12ga pump

DD M4
Old October 12, 2012, 09:57 PM   #16
Adamantium

Good luck. I use a pump also (for strictly economy reasons) but thats never kept me out of the top 50%. Usually the rifle is the most production level gun out there. Shotguns will get alot of bells and whistles for open division shooters.