The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 12, 2011, 11:51 PM   #26
pvt.Long

The mosin bayonet if I'm not mistaken was a crucifix bayonet not a triangle, but this style of bayonet still causes a similar wound when it was thrust into its victim
Old July 13, 2011, 02:02 AM   #27
Ignition Override

Chris B and guys:

I don't know anything about bayonets. What is an 'uncut'?

Garand1957: It would be nice if we could compare both our FR8s and bayos.
How does the CETME bayo compare with other types? Mine looks brand-new, but the edge does not seem very sharp.

Does keeping them on the muzzle help accuracy due to a more stable barrel, or is it very minor?
Old July 16, 2011, 07:33 AM   #28
Chris_B

Quote:
I don't know anything about bayonets. What is an 'uncut'?
When the Model of 1905 bayonet was introduced, it had a 16" long blade. By WWII, the desire for a shorter bayonet that could also be used as a 'fighting knife', was more "user-friendly" (imagine strapping on that 16" bayonet and scabbard and then sitting in a chair) plus the shortage of raw materials like steel, made the US re-think the 16" blade. Many Models of 1905 were cut down to a 10" blade as a result. Some of the cut-off blades were used as tools for victory gardens, actually. The cut-off bayonets became "M1905E1" bayonets

Roughly (very roughly) at the same time, another, new run of 16" long bayonets was being made, but soon bayonets made to the same pattern but with blades that were designed at 10" length were manufactured for the US military. Collectors call those long ones M1942 bayonets although I am not certain that this is the actual name. The bayonet originally made at 10" blade length is an M1 bayonet, which is not be confused with a bayonet made just for the M1 rifles, "M1" has a lot of different uses- helmet, rifle, bayonet, etc. Just a name
Old July 17, 2011, 06:28 PM   #29
Gunplummer

I have a rifle at an Auction house right now with a matching (Serial #) bayonet. I know what they go for with out, so I guess I will see what all the hoopala about bayonets is after the auction.
Old July 18, 2011, 04:02 PM   #30
Chris_B

This is not really on the original topic, but there was no rule for example, in the US military during WWII that a rifle and bayonet were issued together with matching numbers, so the 'hoopla' surrounding bayonets matters depending on a galaxy of things, of which 'original to the rifle' may or may not be present. I think that needs to be examined on a country-by-country or even rifle model-by-rifle model basis
Old July 19, 2011, 02:44 AM   #31
warningshot

Question:

If that Mosin fell off the wall and landed bayonet first on the top of your foot, would you have enough strength to un-pale yourself from the floor so you could get to the phone and call 911?

Where I live, if a bayoneted rifle fell off the display and injured a child! The local LEO would quater my body and send the four parts of my carcuss to 4 different prisons throughout state. No jury. No trial. Off you go! I'd be thrown either in a hole under the prison or in a cell next to Charles Manson. I can see it now; LAPD would sit back and unleash the entire SEIU Teachers Union on me armed with bats to re-create the Rodney King scene...The Director would say, "Badman with Badgun"..."Take-One Hundred Twelve"...."Action!"

It must be nice living in real America where a man can still have a great looking display like that. Cool.