The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 21, 2009, 03:06 PM   #1
sewerman

federal law providing defense.........

against N.Y. state law that prohibits the interstate travel of a person with a firearm traveling from a state permited to carry through a state not complying in reciprocity.

i read this on web ste USACARRY but was unable to find the wording of the federal law.

i'm planning a motorcycle trip from deep south to buffalo N.Y. and the only state not showing reciprocity is N.Y.

the usacarry site mentioned in my case carrying unloaded in locked case since i won't have a trunk per/se on the bike.

sure hate to make this trip without being protected during these days.

i have a florida concealed permit.

where would i find this federal law and if there is such a law would the knowledge prevent me form arrest if somehow i was stopped and searched?

thanks'
sewerman

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!
Old May 21, 2009, 03:10 PM   #2
azredhawk44

FOPA 1986.

Firearm Owners' Protection Act.

18 USC, SS 921

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm...Protection_Act

Quote:
One of the law's provisions was that persons traveling from one place to another for a shooting sports event or any other lawful activity cannot be arrested for a firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gas) and the firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, in a locked container.[5]

An example of this would be that someone driving from Virginia to a competition in Vermont with a locked hard case containing an unloaded handgun and a box of ammunition in the trunk could not be prosecuted in New Jersey or New York City for illegal possession of a handgun provided that they did not stop in New Jersey or New York for an extended period of time.
This is an interpretation from Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt, but unloaded and inaccessible is the key to be protected via FOPA while travelling through various "-istan" states with draconian gun laws. Newyorkistan, Kalifornistan, et cetera.

Print a copy of the FOPA and travel with it, just in case it is necessary to educate an overzealous officer. Or cite to a judge.
Old May 21, 2009, 03:26 PM   #3
Wildalaska

You can't posssess a handgun nin NY without a permit. You can travel through there with one, but can't stay.

WildifyougettobuffalodothepastafazoolatsantasierosAlaska ™
Old May 21, 2009, 03:29 PM   #4
azredhawk44

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h...6---A000-.html

I think Wikipedia may be wrong on the code citation... Looks like it is 18 USC SS 926A.
Old May 21, 2009, 03:39 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Mr. Wild is spot on. If NY is your final destination then you can not be in possession of the handgun in NY state.
Old May 21, 2009, 04:59 PM   #6
Doyle

The way I interpret this is that because Buffalo is your end point, you are no longer protected by this law from NY's more restrictive law. You might want to change your "end" destination to Erie or some other place just across the border.
Old May 22, 2009, 09:54 AM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

Buffalo, one of my old home towns. BUT, don't do this. As pointed out before, you are not protected if Buffalo is your end point.

The local law may also not take kindly to locked case motorcycle carry. You may be trying to explain the law from your cell.
Old May 22, 2009, 11:25 AM   #8
sewerman

thanks for the insight.

looks like i'm having to change my destination. i will look to see what the definition of passing through is...probably only period of time needed to transverse the state. what about having to stay over because of inclimate weather?

need to do some thorough reading before leaving........

thanks again,

sewerman

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!
Old May 31, 2009, 02:08 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Even though Fed law protects you, you are still at risk

The best thing to do is NOT take a gun through those states that prohibit it. There have been numerous cases of travelers, protected by the FOPA, that have run afoul of local law enforcement. The have been arrested, and put in jail, had their guns taken, etc. In the end, the charges get dropped, as the FOPA does protect you. But, until then, you are in arrested, in jail, time and money (lawyer fees) lost, and possible your gun(s) also. If you can avoid it, thats the best thing to do.

good luck.