The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 7, 2007, 05:11 PM   #1
hilblly

Question on primers

I tried a search to see if this question had been asked before but couldn't find the answer.
I am loading some 110 gr varmint loads for my 270 and was wondering about CCI vs. Winchester large rifle primers.
I know you shouldn't substitute, so can anyone tell if these primers are close to the same or what?

Thanks
Mike
Old December 7, 2007, 05:23 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
I know you shouldn't substitute ...
Why not?

I wouldn't hesitate to substitute one of those primers if the other is called for in a load manual, assuming of course, like for like (i.e., Win LR vs CCI LR, not magnum for standard, etc.) However, if switching components, you should also download about 10% if you have reached the max (or determined the max with your own bullet/powder/firearm) with one component in your loading. If you're starting out at the min with either one, you'll be fine.
Old December 7, 2007, 05:28 PM   #3
hilblly

Just found another thread on the subject and my gut feeling was as you stated Mal H. Drop back and work up the load again.
I am just starting to work up the load so it should be fine to substitute.
Mike
Old December 7, 2007, 05:43 PM   #4
amamnn

You are not likely to find any difference between brands of primers until and unless you get into BR or other long distance precision shooting. Even then it's mainly a matter of personal preference based on experience. You might find some some slight difference, using a factory rifle, between standard primers and match primers, as the match primers are sorted for uniformity. Whether or not this is going to make a difference even in a match is debatable, especially since last August a 1000 yard BR shooter in Montana set a new group record using standard CCI primers in his loads. There are some people, myself included, that would rather shoot factory ammo or wait for our fav primers to be in stock than use CCI primers, even the "benchrest" ones. Go figure.

http://www.montana1000yardbenchrestclub.com/

His loads, rifle, and other data were published on 6mmbr.com as well as other places in case anyone is interested.