The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2005, 09:58 AM   #1
tjhands

Do these count as multiple sources?

Hi guys.

For every caliber that I reload for, I have one of these books (see pic). I also have Lee's reloading manual. Since there are loading data in these spiralbound books from Hornady, Speer, Sierra, Nosler, Hodgdon's, Accurate, etc.....does this book count as 6 or more sources? I mean, everyone says, "you need 2 or 3 sources for loading data before you can confidently work up a load." By buying one of these books, does a person have enough info to work with? What will the other source manuals tell you about powder weight that this one doesn't? Thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cologne 108.jpg (64.0 KB, 44 views)
Old May 5, 2005, 10:22 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yes.

Load data is developed independently by the different companies.

The fact that an independent vendor brings that information together into a compiled form doesn't change that.
Old May 5, 2005, 12:54 PM   #3
Ruger4570

Almost every bullet company publishes a reloading book, many for just their own brand of bullets, some list competitors also, some are both jacketed and lead etc. etc. I really don't beleive you HAVE to have 2 or 3 books on hand to load. I do think it is good to be able to see what the various companies list as starting and Max loads as most all will be slightly different. I have most all the books available as I enjoy the ability to research what each Mfg has to say regarding a particular cartridge or load. I have a stack of the load data phamphlets put out by powder mfg's and consult them regularily. I guess the bottom line is you probably can get by with just one loading manual,, question is,, would you want too?
Old May 5, 2005, 01:09 PM   #4
Mark whiz

I love my Load Books, have them for everything I load for. PLUS I also have a the 2nd Edition Lee's book and a Lyman manual. Between those and the on-line resources............... I'm good to go.
!
Old May 5, 2005, 01:19 PM   #5
caz223

Yes they do.
Inside the books there is a note thanking all the companies for their cooperation, etc.
And I own enough of the different books to recognize photocopies of the data listed in them in it's original format and exactly reproduced.