The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 17, 2009, 02:26 PM   #1
deuno845

K.b.i hipower issues???

First of all Thanks for any replies to this thread!

Now heres my dillemma> Bought a k.b.i inc FEG Hipower in lightly used condition. Now i noticed a few things>>

1. If the hammer is cocked and the safety is on,Pressing the trigger will give a Click, and when you disengage the safety the Hammer Drops. Is this supposed to happen?

2. if the Hammer is Cocked and you insert a magazine (doesnt matter if the safety is on or off) when the magazine is inserted all the way and seated, the hammer drops. Is THIS supposed to happen?

3.i cannot fully seat the magazine with the hammer droped it will not go past a certain point to seat fully. the hammer must be cocked in order for it to seat properly.

4. one of the Magazines keeps giving me FTEs what can i do to stop the FTEs from occuring with that one particular mag?

5. for some reason the recoil spring kinda bends a little when inserted with the guide rod like as if theres extra slack? is that normal?

6. to cock the hammer racking the slide is like going to the gym and doing excercise is it supposed to be this hard?

7. Dont know if this is really a problem but the Fixed Sights on this thing are TINY is there any way i can change them?

8.Can you guys recommend a Good Complete cleaning kit that comes with solvent, lubricant etc?

Thanks for your Replies,Time, And patience of course!

My father owns a 1911 and does not have any of these issues.
Old June 17, 2009, 04:14 PM   #2
Superhouse 15

1: ABSOLUTELY NOT. Possibly dangerous. You might try putting a primed case in the chamber and see if it fires.

2: ABSOLUTELY NOT. See #1

3: Sounds like a bad magazine safety. You need to see a gunsmith familiar with the design, preferably before getting any ammo into the gun.

4: Buy a new mag, they're cheap and abundant. Don't waste time and frustration. My rule is to pound bad cheap mags flat and throw them away.
http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd....rSuperSKU=&MC=

5: Maybe, see #6
6: See #5, buy a new Wolff recoil spring, they're not expensive.
http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html

7: If the sights are dovetailed into the slide, easy to change, if not it might be expensive to have dovetails cut. I'm not sure off the top of my head what the KBI has.

8: Any kit your local shop has should be fine. I prefer a separate cleaner and lube, not the multi-purpose stuff. You might add a can of Gun Scrubber or other spray cleaner.

It sounds like it was lightly used because it was "gunsmithed" and didn't work right. It needs to be looked at. The bad news is that the usual place for parts:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/dept.asp
Doesn't liks parts for the FEG / KBI Hi-Powers. If parts are compatible with the original, you're OK, if not....... You might have an expensive paperweight. Keep us updated on how it goes.
Old June 17, 2009, 05:31 PM   #3
deuno845

Thanks!!

i will check with my local smith and see what he says! Thanks again!
Old June 17, 2009, 08:32 PM   #4
IZZY

Someone may have "polished" the sear or other parts...trying to get rid of the horendous FN /type trigger...

Good advice by Superhouse.
Old June 17, 2009, 10:44 PM   #5
deuno845

Ahh forgot to mention!!! the gun had been completely Chromed by the Previous owner If that helps.
Old June 18, 2009, 09:07 AM   #6
IZZY

YES. the crome plating can interfere with sear engagement!

Had this happen on a PPK. The smith basicly just ploished off the chrome and it worked fine...but you need an experianced smith for this.
Old June 18, 2009, 09:22 AM   #7
Zilmo

Very scary! Definitely get that checked out.
Old June 20, 2009, 03:47 PM   #8
deuno845

S.f.s

Hey guy Thanks for your Replies!

I wonder if anyone has Installed an S.f.s Safety Kit on a K.b.i Feg Hipower?
Did it give anytrouble to install? did the Parts fit Being that the Gun was A CLONE and not exactly Browning a high power?

Will the extractors, triggers, and springs from the browning high power section From midwayUsa, Fit on a Feg k.b.i HP Clone? Are the parts interchangeable?

Will the Agi Bhp Armorers Course Pertain to the K.b.i Hi power Also?
my local smith looks kinda Weary when it comes to the Design of the Hipower.

THANKS for the Replies, Time And most importantly Patience!