The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2007, 10:13 PM   #1
contender44

bullet casting

after several years of reloading for 243, 30-06, 22 hornet and 44 mag I'm ready to try bullet casting for 9mm 38/357 44mag and 45acp my wife and I will be using the 9mm and 45 for IDPA and my son will be using the 38/357 in pistols and rifle for cowboy action I will be using wheel weights a lee production pot, lee molds and sizing dies and alox lube if anyone has helpful hints or precautions they will be apreciated

contender
Old February 10, 2007, 11:19 PM   #2
Rimrod

Make sure to wear gloves.
Old February 11, 2007, 12:01 AM   #3
rwilson452

I would suggest you start with the two cavity dies. There is a bit of art to molding bullets. Like getting the feel of when the pot is at the right temp. and when the dies are right too. Go slow at first and don't get frustrated when your first attemps don't yeld good results. It's just like shooting. when you start all your shots are not in the bullseye. As with other part of the shooting world, SAFETY FIRST. Remeber lead melts at 650 degrees and your mix will be hotter than that. metal at that temp will react violently with water. I drop my bullets on wet sponges covered witha dish towel. I use a pan that is tilted so the bullets roll down the towel and collect at the far end of the pan in a created cavity. By the time they reach there they are cool enough they will not deform. I cut the Lee liquid alox 50-50 with mineral spirits or good old zippo lighter fluid. I use a 3 lb soft spread bowl to tumble the bullets in the alox. when it gets too gunked up I just salvage another. NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT! do not steal towels from the kitchen this will cause considerable friction with your spouse. Go buy your own. Wear heavy leather gloves and a sturdy long sleave shirt. Get a shop apron. Sooner or later you will splash some lead. you don't want to splash it on your skin. The best way I know of to get a new pair of leather gloves broke in is to put them on and get them soaking wet. then wear and use them until they are dry. If you take them off before they are dry they will shrink. they will conform to your hands and develop flex where you need them to flex.
Old February 11, 2007, 10:00 AM   #4
Ruger4570

If you are going to use Lee molds, I think all you can get now is a 2 cavity mold. I believe they are discounting many of the old stock single cavity molds for now.
I do most of my casting in the winter months and I use a 5 gallon pail and fill it to the top with snow. I add a "little" water and drop my cast bullets directly from the mold into this freezing cold slush. It seems to harden them sufficiently for me. I also run my bullets thru my lubrisizer and use a hard grease, then I put them into some Lee Liquid Alox and dry them. I have not ever had a bit of leading with these bullets, regardless of how fast I shoot them. Some have been over 1800 fps out of my 45-70
Old February 11, 2007, 07:11 PM   #5
HiltonFarmer

Ventilation to be sure!

I just started casting myself and found that it's best to have your area dedicated and clear. Casting is the only thing you should do in that area IMO.

Enjoy. I'll be firing my first casted reloads (9mm) this week.

HiltonFarmer
Old February 11, 2007, 07:43 PM   #6
Ruger4570

Oh yes! be sure to "smoke" the molds from Lee..It really makes a difference
Old February 11, 2007, 09:21 PM   #7
Cloudpeak

And, you can always check over at

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Cloudpeak
Old February 11, 2007, 09:28 PM   #8
snuffy

Quote:
If you are going to use Lee molds, I think all you can get now is a 2 cavity mold. I believe they are discounting many of the old stock single cavity molds for now.
I do most of my casting in the winter months and I use a 5 gallon pail and fill it to the top with snow. I add a "little" water and drop my cast bullets directly from the mold into this freezing cold slush. It seems to harden them sufficiently for me. I also run my bullets thru my lubrisizer and use a hard grease, then I put them into some Lee Liquid Alox and dry them. I have not ever had a bit of leading with these bullets, regardless of how fast I shoot them. Some have been over 1800 fps out of my 45-70
Lee also sells 6 cavity "gang" molds.

Dropping boolits into cold liquid will only harden boolits that have some arsenic in the lead alloy thet're made from. Knowing brinnel hardness can tell you IF you are hardening the bullets by cold water quenching. Heat treating can also be done by heating the boolit to just below the melting temperature, or at least to 450 degrees. Lee sells a lead hardness tester for half what most others sell for. It tells you just what the hardness is, then tells you what chamber pressure can be used before you will encounter leading.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old February 11, 2007, 10:20 PM   #9
cheygriz

I prefer Lyman, Saeco and RCBS molds to Lee, but if you do use Lee, get the 6 cavity.

1. Cast outside!
2. Wear a painter's face mask/respirator
3. Wear a leather shop apron
4. Wear leather gloves.
5. THE MOST IMPORTANT BY FAR Wear OSHA approved, industrial grade safety glasses.
Old February 12, 2007, 04:54 PM   #10
contender44

thanks for the info as soon as it warms up i'm going to start melting w/w and putting my alloy together

contender
Old February 15, 2007, 08:23 PM   #11
Hankster

Bulletcasting

Bulletcasting is one of the most satisfying aspects of reloading. I have a number of Lee, Lyman and RCBS molds. The Lee molds have to be cleaned and smoked prior to use. Do not forget to lube the sprue plate screw and to warm the mold up prior to use. I heat my up with a propane torch and almost immediately I get good bullets. Remember, safety first. Gloves, apron and glasses are a must. Also, molten lead is extremely explosive if introduced to liquids. Sweat, water, beverages will send molten lead in all directions and cause a hazard to anyone around. If you have little children around with water guns, water hoses etc, then make them understand why it is you do not want water around.
I used Ruger4570's advise and dumped my bullets into a bucket of ice water. This hardened up my bullets substantially. Wheel weights will suffice the vast majority of the time. I have used my bullets for bullseye and ipsc shoots. There is a huge savings when casting. Another precaution, make sure you have adequate ventilation when casting. There are lots of great books that explain casting procedures etc. Good luck, Hankster
Old February 15, 2007, 08:31 PM   #12
cheygriz

One critical item I forgot to mention. Wear a welder's cap also.
Old February 15, 2007, 09:01 PM   #13
Ruger4570

Cheygriz: You mean to tell me my University of Arizona cap won't work. Hell, I would sleep with it on except rolling over messes up the way it looks. Guess I could be cool and wear it backwards to bed...
Old February 16, 2007, 07:41 PM   #14
cheygriz

Actually, any hat or cap will work. I bought a welder's cap because it's specifically designed to protect the head from sparks, and hot metal fragments.

And when you don't have any hair, that becomes important!
Old February 17, 2007, 03:32 AM   #15
James A. Mullins

One thing you should do is cast in a place with plenty of air flow. I use a fan to suck the fumes away. Be sure to heat your molds to insure all moisture is out of the mold. Do your alloying before you start to cast useable bullets. What I mean is to make little one pound ingots from your wheel weights. Have fun.
James