The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 20, 2012, 03:57 PM   #1
m_liebst

Looking Economically priced rimfire bolt action

I'm looking for an out-of-the box accurate boltaction .22lr under 500.00.
This being a rifle capable of under 1 MOA accuracy. What are import. factors to consider,- besides ammo choice and sorting? Or am I just expecting too much for the dollar that I want to spend?

I was looking at the Savage MK2 TR and was wondering if anyone had any input or experiences with this firearm. (Was actually wondering about the "accu-trigger" and what type of chamber reaming is done to this particular gun.

Savage has a tactical version which sports a 16 inch barrel which caught my eye.

I obviously can't afford a Sako Finnfire or an Anschutz, but was hoping someone might suggests models that could be of interest to me.

Last edited by m_liebst; November 20, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old November 20, 2012, 04:44 PM   #2
alex0535

I bet you would be able to shoot more accurately at more distance with a Savage 93R17 TR. It is an attractive rifle, and can probably be had for under $500. I had a 93R17, but it was a very basic one though. Was a fine shooter for being as light as it was, probably shot 1 moa. With a heavier barrel I am sure that it would easily shoot sub moa. As far as the accu-trigger, its adjustable and a good trigger system all in all.

If you don't mind the extra cost of .17 HMR ammo, it has better ballistics than the .22lr or .22 magnum.

I am sure the .22lr from savage is probably very accurate out of the box, but if I was put to a challenge of "lets see who can shoot a golf-ball off a tee from 150 yards first, or with the least number of shots" I would feel like i had a real good chance of doing it on my first shot with a .17 HMR. It wouldn't take me more than 3 shots on a windy day. Hitting a golf ball at 150 yards with a .22 lr, I would not be so confident. Especially if you compared the Savage MK2 TR and the 93R17 TR.

The .22lr has its place though, If you want to shoot all day long .22lr all the way. Its much cheaper ammo, and there is a lot of different choices in ammo as well.

Last edited by alex0535; November 20, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old November 20, 2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Wallyl

Rimfire bolt action

Had the same "bug" a few years ago so I bought me a Marlin 980V...I paid less that $200 for a new one and it is superbly accurate even with bulk ammo. On a good day (no wind and when I am on my game) I can hit a business card sized plate at 100~125 yards with some brands of bulk ammo with it. Then I got lazy and started to get interested again in my Semi-Autos...(no bolt to cycle)...so I don't use it as extensively as I used to. Over the last two years my 10-22 and a Marlin 60 have been used more, but there is no doubt that teh 980V is the most accurate...probably because it has a tigher chamber and a bull-target barrel.

I set up my steel plate on a cable---shooting into a sand hill and using a high power scope. I can then see the misses/strikes and correct my aim accordingly. This allows one to quickly determine just how accurate that the ammo is... I used a wide variety and the best was Remington Golden Bullet--of all things.
Old November 20, 2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Charles S

I really like my Savage MKII. I have the Savage MK II FV-SR that I really like and to answer your question I like the AccuTrigger. With good match grade ammo mine is consistently MOA to over 100 yards.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVSR

Quote:
I am sure the .22lr from savage is probably very accurate out of the box, but if I was put to a challenge of "lets see who can shoot a golf-ball off a tee from 150 yards first, or with the least number of shots" I would feel like i had a real good chance of doing it on my first shot with a .17 HMR. It wouldn't take me more than 3 shots on a windy day. Hitting a golf ball at 150 yards with a .22 lr, I would not be so confident. Especially if you compared the Savage MK2 TR and the 93R17 TR.
I would take you up on that for a lunch bet any day with my Savage 22. The best part about mine is I can do it quietly Of course I have more money in accessories. Scope and silencer - than I do in the gun.
Old November 20, 2012, 07:25 PM   #5
geetarman

There is a lot to like with a CZ 452 Trainer. Nice trigger, great iron sights, nice stock and very accurate.

Carpe Cerveza
Old November 20, 2012, 08:04 PM   #6
mr.t7024

.22 under 500

I have a mark II .22 in stainless ad a Savage 93 in 17HMR,both have the Accu Trigger,both are excellent rifles. They are extremely accurate. You will be pleased! BTW Each rifle is under a 5 hundred dollars. Cliff

You also need to check out the Marlin line up, also an excellent choice.
Old November 20, 2012, 10:27 PM   #7
Metal god

If accurace is what your going for . The MK11 FV will be just as acurate as the TR for les then half the cost . Add a tacticool stock for $100 http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/TACT-S...-p/600-430.htm And you have a nice bench gun for $325 . I have the FV and the stock on the FV is very hard to get a consistant cheekweld with

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 21, 2012, 03:07 AM   #8
Scorch

CZ 452 American, no question. Savages and Marlins shoot well but look like a toothache.
Old November 21, 2012, 10:39 PM   #9
Corey Jacobs

CZ 452 all the way. Simply awesome.
Old November 25, 2012, 06:57 PM   #10
m_liebst

Thank you all for the great imput.

Was considering the .17hmr,... but ammo cost and muzzle report counts it out in a big way for me.

I know the .22lr has its limitations but it will fit most of my needs. I'm a bit a fan of the round being that it was the first caliber I've shot as a young kid and that there has been so much development of specialty ammo. The .22lr has come a ways...

Forget 150 yards..., If I can hit a golf ball consistently at 100 yards with match ammo on a calm day, I'd be very pleased

Last edited by m_liebst; November 25, 2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old November 25, 2012, 09:04 PM   #11
Chet Punisher

Savage 93 BTVS in 22 Mag...

50 yards... The fifth shot was to check where I was aiming. I just aimed lower on the graph... Awesome...

Bought it from here:

http://www.jetguns.com/savage-93btvs...at-p-6541.html
Old November 25, 2012, 09:11 PM   #12
SteelChickenShooter

My Kimber silhouette rifle costing a ballpark $1000 will certainly meet your accuracy needs. It's interesting to me that my (now older) Zastava Charles Daly import will shoot as well with certain selected ammo. And that cost $200, which is well under your pricing goal.
Old November 26, 2012, 09:34 PM   #13
m_liebst

Chet punisher,

Nice BTVS .22mag, I love the stock style and was interested in the .22lr version. I want a synthetic stock that is weather compatible and slightly lighter though.
Those are pretty guns for the price though. Can I get that same style in synthetic? What pull weight is the accu-trigger set to and how crisp is it?

How are the .22 mag groups at 100 y though?

Last edited by m_liebst; November 26, 2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old November 26, 2012, 09:46 PM   #14
Chet Punisher

Well the stock is laminate so it will hold it's own in the weather. I don't think they make it in plastic.

It groups good, but not as good as 50 yards... LOL

I think I have it set right now at around 3.5 lbs.

The accu-trigger is about as good as it gets for under $1000...

They do make it in a .22lr...

In Satinless:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIBTVS

In Blued:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIBTV
Old November 26, 2012, 10:17 PM   #15
Yung.gunr

To me the choice is between the Savage MKII and optics or the CZ 452.

I went with the Savage and cheap scope, VERY happy with it. But.... if I had a little more scratch I wouldve gone with the CZ and then glass.

Specific to your question I really like the Accutrigger.
Old November 26, 2012, 11:19 PM   #16
whitearrow

another vote for the cz 452. my preference is the 452 american. but, if you want a cz in the 452 flavor you had better get on the stick so to speak as cz had dc'd the 452 action and is replacing it with the new 455. the jury is still out on the 455 as its new anduntested as compared to the been around the block a few times 452 action. i must warn you though. don't buy a cz 452 if you don't have a very strong constitution towards your wallet as they are VERY addictive. i bought my lil boy a cz 452 scout about 2 yrs ago and since then i've brought home 4 more 452 americans. mine will do 1/2" groups with a variety of sub-sonic hp ammo. my personal best 5 shot 50 yd group has been 1/4" with winchester sub-sonic hp.
good luck,
Old November 27, 2012, 08:42 AM   #17
geetarman

Chet Punisher,

What is the scope you have on that rifle? Looks VERY interesting. That is usually a bad sign for a zero balance CC

Carpe Cerveza
Old November 27, 2012, 11:45 AM   #18
robertsig

CZ 452

No other choices immediately came to mind.
Old November 27, 2012, 02:46 PM   #19
Chet Punisher

At the time it had a vortex crossfire on it.. It's got a 3-9 now.. The vortex was way overkill on it. Nice, but I have another rifle that needs it more.
Old November 27, 2012, 05:42 PM   #20
wingman

Honestly I've owned Marlin, Savage and CZ all accurate however the most consistent with match ammo goes to my CZ455, golf ball @100 yards easy.
Old June 11, 2014, 03:18 PM   #21
boltomatic

Savage fv-sr, for about $250 out the door.

For the price you get amazing features and performance, to give you an idea if you were to customize a 10/22 with the same features as the savage and make it shoot as accurately, you would spend about $500 or more.

Its not a pretty gun, but performance and feature wise you can't find a better value.
Old June 11, 2014, 03:44 PM   #22
aarondhgraham

I'm with the CZ crowd,,,

I'm with the CZ crowd,,,
Especially the 452 Military Trainer,,,
The only inaccurate thing about the rifle is me.

And it's simply beautiful.

I've recently been looking at getting a pair of single-shot rifles,,,
So I can case them together for taking friends out shooting,,,
I can't afford two CZ rifles for this so I started researching.

Everything I read in reviews and in forums,,,
Tells me that the Savage F or G series rifles fit the accurate/inexpensive criteria.

So when you said "inexpensive",,,
I immediately thought of the Savage G or F series,,,
But you then stated "under $500.00" which opens the CZ door.

But if inexpensive is the thing,,,
On my lunch hour I went to Wal Mart,,,
They have the Mark II-F priced at only $147.00,,,
That puts them right at $160.00 out the door with sales tax.

Decent .22 bolt rifles don't get any less expensive than that.

I'm no expert on Savage rifles,,,
But I've been researching them for a week,,,
Correct me if I am wrong but the most expensive models,,,
Have the exact same trigger, bolt, and barrels of the lower cost models.

But if you can afford to drop the money,,,
CZ rifles are absolutely worth every penny of their price.

And did I mention that they are beautiful.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)

Last edited by aarondhgraham; June 11, 2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old June 12, 2014, 12:19 PM   #23
RC20

Quote:
There is a lot to like with a CZ 452 Trainer. Nice trigger, great iron sights, nice stock and very accurate.
I go along with all but the trigger, not bad, only thing I am not keen on

Mine shoots most ammo ok, some bulk pretty well, good 22 well.

I had a shoot out with my brother and the best ammo hit something like 14 X at 50 yds with the other 2 cutting the next ring out

They run $350 range
Old June 12, 2014, 02:37 PM   #24
spacemanspiff

I picked up a CZ455 last summer. Put a Leupold 2-7 rf scope on it.
Still trying to find the ammo that it likes. It wasn't the exact model that I wanted, and if i come across the one with the long barrel I'm buying it. Of course if someone wishes to part with a 452 I may want that as well.

FYI, anyone looking for spare magazines, the CZ website has them in stock. For considerably less than what is on gunbroker. CZs price is like $30 for the ten rounder, GB is hovering around $45.

I would put my happiness with my CZ rifle at about 80%. That will increase once I find ammo it likes. So far its a 2moa gun, and I'd like it to be 1 or less.
Old June 13, 2014, 07:59 PM   #25
RC20

My take is the CZ is the best gun short of the real expensive ones ($800 up)

The Leupold is a very popular scope for the gun, its what I have on mine (though original it was bought for a gas piston semi auto which is approved use by Leopold on that scope).

Rings are Warner, forget the model but they switch between the CZ mm setup and a US standard (x/16). (looked them up, they are Warne 7.3 medium which clears the Leupold scope, 3/8 and 11mm dependong on how you set the clamp)

Nice steel rings for $27 as I recall at Sportsmans warehouse.

One of the odd things was I had some old dynamit 22 I was given and it was in the old Remington Gold bullet category, ok hunting, not good target.

I ran some Federal 22 bulk through it thorough it and it started shooting it nicely, almost as good as the RSW. With those two its about .75 MOA.

Federal bulk is not tack driver but it groups nicely around a center and would be very good hunting ammo (you could consistently hit a squirrel or grouse head at 50 yards and closer you could shoot an eye out)

Last edited by RC20; June 14, 2014 at 01:06 PM.