The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 17, 2011, 04:47 AM   #26
Chris84

I dont like "steel courage" cause to me it is like "liquid courage". If you are not brave enough to do somthing when not carrying a fire arm then you really dont have true courage. I read a book or pamphlet one time a few years ago that really summed up carrying for me. It stated that carrying makes a person with good or bad intention deal with me with reason instead of some type of force. Even if you never pull it. They know that the playing field is at least a lot closer to be eqaul if it is not fully on your side.

I hate to say this as I have many friends that are LE and the like but around here it seem to be the a fact and truth so oh well, once that badge and gun are on them they are the ones that have the "steel courage". Most of the ones around here are down right cowards without it. Even seen a situation where an off duty officer was not willing to deal with a small confrontation because he was not armed. Ended really funny as a local farmer just walked up to the guy told him he was acting like an idiot and to go home. It worked. But that same officer when armed has made it in local news for making arrests of people that are considered dangerous. He shows no fear so to speak. Which I fear will one day be his own undoing.

I was raised to be strong and brave but not stupid, so armed or not I never do anything that may increase the chances of me being in a bad situtation, but at the same time I am not going to alter my normal way for doing things either. As stated already, it is not my fault that some one is a criminal just because I choose to walk past them acting like fools it is still their fault, only reason that is even in the minds of those that carry (and I do) is because the laws of this land are so screwed up that you have to defend your self in court for a clean shoot, which criminaly is no problem if it really was a good clean shoot, but then also may have to defend yourself in civil court also. See thats the problem. I hate the fact very much as a lot of people do. I love my kids and care for them and doing my best to raise them right, but in the off chance that the screw up and become stupid and they get them selfs shot while doing somthing wrong the last thing that I would ever do is civily sue the person that they made defend theirselves. We need to either start or start making people, depending on where you stand, take the responability for there own actions and not allow them to pawn it off on the victim or anyone or anything else.

Last edited by Chris84; September 17, 2011 at 04:52 AM. Reason: spelling and yes still maybe more errors
Old September 17, 2011, 06:21 AM   #27
ClayInTx

I’ve been in some sticky situations and prevented harm by looking them in the eye and greeting them with a “Good evening. How are you doing?” With my briefcase in my left hand and my right hand in my pocket. This was in a couple of big cities where the letters G, U, and N had been legislated out of the alphabet.
To have crossed the street would have given notice that I was scared and I was helpless; and here they would come.

Some years ago I was in a situation where I knew that in all probability I would be robbed and then killed to avoid me being an accuser and a witness. I did not have a gun. I got out of it by some tricky maneuvering and that was when I knew I had better start packing iron.

Even so, I became much more careful now that I carry.
I’ll cross the street because I don’t want a gunfight, but if it’s a signal that I’m helpless then I’m prepared to handle it, even if I’d rather not, and I’d rather not.

Perhaps carrying has given me some steel courage but it has given me even more steel reluctance.
Old September 17, 2011, 10:11 AM   #28
motorhead0922

Well said, Chris84, particularly this part:
Quote:
armed or not I never do anything that may increase the chances of me being in a bad situtation, but at the same time I am not going to alter my normal way for doing things either.
My feelings exactly.
Old September 17, 2011, 06:49 PM   #29
Mello2u

Steel Courage is an interesting term. I believe that there are a significant number of people who are thinking that is what a gun is for. This is where training, experience and a lot of time thinking about "what if"s serve to lead many people to some aspect of wisdom. Wisdom, in this case, defined as the ability to decide what is best to avoid trouble.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, 71 percent of firefighters in the United States are volunteers. 1,148,100 firefighters protected the United States in 2009. 335,950 (29%) were career firefighters and 812,150 (71%) were volunteer firefighters.
http://www.nfpa.org/categoryList.asp...&cookie_test=1
Nearly, 3 out of 4 fall in to AK103K disparaging statement.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old September 17, 2011, 07:56 PM   #30
AK103K

Quote:
Wisdom, in this case, defined as the ability to decide what is best to avoid trouble.
Apparently, poking at something of an obvious sore spot with firemen fits that bill to the "T".

Would using "open carriers" instead have been a better choice?
Old September 17, 2011, 08:34 PM   #31
secret_agent_man

This thread is a little wavy. But I think it's basically hinting if you have a metal gun, preferably a steel one, you have steel courage. But if you have a tupperware gun, you're weak in the knees.
Old September 17, 2011, 08:44 PM   #32
jimbob86

I have an aluminum gun ..... what's that supposed to make me?

I Carry and Volunteer for the same reason: bad things happen to good people in my town, as they do everywhere ...... I'm a good person, and I have a plan, and friends in on it, if they happen to me, or mine ...... or anyone in my town.

Of course I'm scared: if you are not afraid of fire, something is wrong with you.

Courage is rationally parking your fear, and dealing with the problem at hand.
Old September 19, 2011, 03:40 PM   #33
C0untZer0

Similarly the finishes you put on a firearm increase or decrease your courage accordingly dependent on the metalic content.

Electroless Nickel and Chrome finishes make your courage go up.

Paints like Cerakote and Duracoat - make you dumber.