The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 11, 2012, 09:37 PM   #26
VA Gent

Okay, first of all, how do you get the quotes into a box?

Quote: Any modern rifle is reliable, I can't imagine why a 7x57 would be any more reliable than a .270. - What I was trying to say here is modern rifles are to me boring. Some have no kick while the 338mag made me feel like my eyeballs bounced off the back of my skull first time I pulled the trigger. One feels like the next otherwise. I'm hoping to understand anothers point of view on this so maybe I can adopt & enjoy in a different way.

Quote: It has lasted 100 years so far, you are going to wear it out in a decade?

Well, someone already got a good head start with it. As some mentioned, he has a milsurp that looks like it won the war by itself

As for hunting, yea they are heavy but heck, its only for a few days each season. Almost industrious compared to some of the modern ones I have used.

Cost twice as much and rising it seems...smilies arent working here either. Must be Windows 98.

Nice chat!
Have a good one,
John
Old October 11, 2012, 09:47 PM   #27
VA Gent

emcon5 - Yea you know, I saw that rifle earlier today and wondered if a short rifle might be better but to be honest with you, I like that 1/4 acre of barrel and stock sticking out there along with the additional twist for what thats worth. That is a nice piece though.
Old October 12, 2012, 12:27 AM   #28
emcon5

Quote:
Okay, first of all, how do you get the quotes into a box?
When you reply, there is a button just above where you type your reply, looks like a text bubble from a comic strip. "Wrap {quote} tags around selected text"

Quote:
What I was trying to say here is modern rifles are to me boring.
I don't know that I would say boring, but to me the older stuff has a lot more character. I stand by my comments in this thread.

Quote:
I like that 1/4 acre of barrel and stock sticking out there along with the additional twist for what thats worth. That is a nice piece though.
I thought long and hard between one of those, and a ex-Brazilian VZ24. I was wanting a 7X57 short-ish rifle with a bent bolt, and chose poorly.

A bigger advantage, particularly if you are going to use iron sights is the longer sight radius. Makes the sight alignment a little easier.
Old October 12, 2012, 03:05 AM   #29
warningshot

As to the orginal post

about matching numbers...I don't know about you, but I've been told by some guy at the gun show that the bullets on an all matching rifle will go faster.
Old October 12, 2012, 11:58 AM   #30
VA Gent

Quote:
about matching numbers...I don't know about you, but I've been told by some guy at the gun show that the bullets on an all matching rifle will go faster.
...... wanna see if this works, thank you!

My grandmother told me that once. One of the things she said that I always wondered after she passed, where that came from...she was German.
Old October 12, 2012, 12:09 PM   #31
VA Gent

emcon5 - you still have that VZ? The one with the pitted barrel.
Old October 13, 2012, 12:24 AM   #32
emcon5

No, I sold it to a local shop. I was thinking about re-barreling it, but my heart just wasn't in it.
Old October 13, 2012, 10:42 AM   #33
VA Gent

Was it the pitting that turned you off? I'm wondering because my mauser looked like the one in your pic. Pitting was above and below the wood in places but gave the barrel the appearance of still being functional. I'm going to have a smith check it over though as opposed to rigging it to a tire.
Old October 13, 2012, 03:42 PM   #34
emcon5

No, the pitting was ugly, but not as deep as the threaded holes you find for sights in some factory rifle barrels. It was under the wood anyway, and wasn't hurting anything.

What put me off was the accuracy, or rather lack thereof. It also had the closest sight setting of 400m, and when you combine the two you get an ~8 inch group, a foot and a half above point of aim at 100 yards, I just had no interest in shooting it.

I was considering getting these and trying to do something with it,

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...200&catid=6962
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...300&catid=6961

But decided it was throwing good money after bad. I ended up losing about $50 on the deal, but I am OK with it.
Old October 13, 2012, 03:54 PM   #35
emcon5

That whooshing sound was the point zooming over your head.