The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 30, 2013, 02:07 AM   #1
cmdc

BLR in 358 Win

I'm getting one of these and I don't reload, so I'm wondering if anyone has any input as to what factory ammunition it might like. I realize that every rifle is different, but I'd like to narrow my options if possible.

Thanks
Old August 30, 2013, 03:07 AM   #2
natman

There are two factory loads. Hornady offers a 200 grain Interlock spitzer and Winchester offers a 200 RN Silvertip. The Hornady will shoot flatter because of the more aerodynamic bullet. It's also more available; the Winchester is a seasonal run which means they make some every now and then.

There are also offerings from Buffalo Bore and Doubletap:

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...mensionid=9862
Old August 30, 2013, 01:09 PM   #3
handlerer2

BLR's are IMO classy rifles! I have held and fired one, but have never owned one.

With only one bullet weight commercially I would consider reloading. Do you have a buddy who reloads? If so you could get away with just the price of dies and powder, primer, brass and bullets.

I own and shoot some rifles with very expensive ammunition, if you can find some. 300WBY,340WBY, 6.5-284, amoung others. So reloading is neccessary if I want to shoot as much as I like.

I wouldn't be satisfied with two bullet options. Good luck and good shooting.
Old August 30, 2013, 04:39 PM   #4
WIN1886

.358 Winchester ammo... box of 20 at Midway !

I have to chuckle.....Winchester brand 200 grain silver tips at $ 54.99 a box compared to Buffalo Bore 225 grain Barnes Triple-Shock X at $ 45.99 a box ! What are the Winchester brand silver tips made of 99.9 % pure Silver , please ! It looks like the Hornady factory loaded ammo is the best bargain for cost vs quality ! A BLR in this caliber would be awesome...wish , I had one !
Old August 30, 2013, 05:20 PM   #5
MattShlock

Nice! What are ya gonna hunt with it?
Old August 30, 2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Bullcamp82834

You have one of the coolest heavy cover elk (and everything else) rifles ever. Tap it's full potential. Basic handloading tools aren't that expensive.

That's what I'd do.
Old August 31, 2013, 01:03 PM   #7
cmdc

Thanks, guys. It's wood of course, and blue. 20" barrel pistol grip. Haven't picked it up yet. It's being shipped. They are hard to find.

I plan to hunt pigs and everything else with it.

I agree I should reload to tap it's full potential.
Old August 31, 2013, 03:38 PM   #8
Paul B.

"I agree I should reload to tap it's full potential."

I think you'll like that BLR. I have fou rifls chamberedto the .358 Win., an early BLR, two Ruge M77 and a Savage M99. One M77 sits in a McMillan stock for nasty weather use.
For some silly reson the average (is there such a thing?) American shoot has little or nothing to do with the .358 Win. and .35 Whelen yet those who do try them out come to think they walk on water. That's the way I feel about my .35 Whelen and so far the elk I've taken with it have not complained about any lack of power. I would not hesitate one bit taking a shot at an elk or deer for that matter to at least 225 to 250 yards with a still loaded 225 gr. bullet. Any of the standard cup and core bullets should work just fine. I cruise the gun shows looking for bargains on .358 and .35 Whelen ammo and brass. I've found some smoking deals that way. With the .358, ammo is whee you find it so yes, handloading is a very good idea. I even shoot homemade cast bullets in mine.
Paul B.