The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 30, 2005, 11:38 AM   #1
H&H,hunter

The true measure of a hog dog...Rich take note!

A true hog dog shows promise from the very begining. No training needed.

Below you will see an incredible photo of my new hog dog. G&KA's Nitro Express

"Nitro" for short.

In the picture you'll notice that not only did Nitro track this dangerous wounded trophy Cape Buffalo through the high grass of central, south east, northern, western, presaharan kambablauhputoland he also found and killed a rare and deadly Colorado beanie warthog in mortal dog/hog combat.

Before embarking on this dangerous journey it was important that Nitro was outfitted with only the best equipment. Below you'll see how a proper safari hat should fit.

Welcome to world Nitro I'll bet you and Miko will have some good times in the field together.
Old October 30, 2005, 11:49 AM   #2
rapier144

You're lucky my home owners insurance won't let me have a ferocious dog like that. Better hope PETA don't see that beanie baby kill or they'll be out front of your house protesting

Last edited by rapier144; October 30, 2005 at 01:31 PM.
Old October 30, 2005, 01:30 PM   #3
Harley Quinn

H&H, that is a cute pup, LOL

Hi, I am wondering what is the caliber, (make and model) of the shooter on that Cape??? Are those Ashley's sights on that baby???

I imagine that is a hunt you will remember for along time? When I left the Paduca area, I went North to visit some relatives in Denver. Then came over the top on 80 stopped in a few places and picked up some information.

I think I will continue to hunt some more while I am still in pretty good shape.

I had not been Hunting in quite awhile, ever since I moved out of the Placerville area and into civilization (Joking). True civilization is not what we are living now. I think Ashley has the right idea, head north and spend some time in the mountains, seems like a good idea.

I recommend he go with the mule. We talked about that quite a bit. Ashley does not need a dog. He is one fine hunter and gatherer by himself. Hell he would just eat the dog if things got rough in the winter LOL..

Harley
Old October 30, 2005, 01:53 PM   #4
Sam Cade

My my is that a Jagdhund?

That, is some good taste in dogs!!
Old October 30, 2005, 02:03 PM   #5
H&H,hunter

Sam,

Yaa, das ist ein Jadgterrier! He is my third jadgterrier. I love these dogs!

Harley,

Ashley built that rifle for me. It started life as a stainless .375H&H M-70 Winchester. Ashley had it rebarreled to .458Lott and did all the other tricked out stuff to it. I've killed two buffalo with it and that rifle is now the prototype Adventure rifle that Ashley will be introducing to the world shortley.

Anything Ashley builds is a no BS working rifle. This one is just that, all business.

Last edited by H&H,hunter; October 30, 2005 at 03:48 PM.
Old October 30, 2005, 02:06 PM   #6
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Nitro, huh.
Great name. I'm really glad you jumped back on that horse, Gregg.

For those unaware, Gregg lost a superior dog to a large Western Diamondback on our lease last time out. Kubie was phenomenal; hopefully not irreplaceable.
Rich
Old October 30, 2005, 05:53 PM   #7
12-34hom

Man's best Friend

Nice dog, - Nice buff. Ever use any of Weatherby's offerings on your travels?

Their 378 mag would be my choice. I'll have to settle for the 6mmAI i shoot now for high speed varmints.

12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old October 30, 2005, 06:16 PM   #8
H&H,hunter

12-34,

I haven't used any of the Weatherby rounds in Africa. But a .378 would be a fine choice. I know of a guy who shoots a .404/375 wildcat (basically a .375RUM.) who has killed over 100 buffalo with that round.

So I would have to say a good .375 with proper bullets is a fine buffalo round.

All the buffalo and elephant I've killed I've either used a .458Lott or a .470NE.
Old November 8, 2005, 11:06 AM   #9
Harley Quinn

H&H, I was at the rifle range a few days ago, talking

to a guy who was watering his dog. It looked like the one you have only oldr maybe 1 year. He said no, but it is a close cousin.

Said, his brother has one of the dogs you have. Great hunter etc. tough on other dogs and animals, likes to bite a lot.

The dog is almost neutotic for the hunt, either in the back yard digging or wanting to hunt. I had a friend that had a hunting dog like that tore up everything as a pup.

I have had quite a few pit bull types Staffies and American, they actually had pretty good noses and sight for hunting.
Quite a few stories, I have heard about them in the country and hunting, pretty tough on the other animals though.
Have you found this to be the case with your breed? They seem to be awfully small for boar, but you are saying they are very good at it?

Harley
Old November 8, 2005, 02:23 PM   #10
12-34hom

H&H - Would that 470NE come as a double rifle or a Muaser type action?

John Taylor used that catridge alot in his wanderings.

12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old November 8, 2005, 03:09 PM   #11
H&H,hunter

The jadgterrier does like to scrap with other dogs. They also need to be occupied all the time they like to chase and dig and hunt. But the amazing thing about this breed is that they know when it's time to come inside to turn it off. they are great companions as long as they are allowed to do their jobs keep one kenneled all the time and you are asking for trouble They are a true hunting breed.

Size, that's their secret weapon. They use their speed, ferocity and agility to bay a hog up. Kubi used to run into the hog a bite them on the nut sack or in the case of a sow he'd bite them on their inner thy. As the hog turned he'd stay behind biting hard enough to break skin every time after a while the hog will just spin and scream the dog just keeps hazing the hog until daddy gets their with some big iron or cold steel. They don't catch and hold a hog like a pit they just haze and bay them up.

12-34,

My .470NE is a box lock ejector double.

never mind the ugly guy holding it..

Old November 8, 2005, 07:05 PM   #12
NRA4life

Hey, wai-wai-wait. You see how the shadows make the ground slightly darker on one side of the buf? I don't see them next to the ferocious terrior. I smell a fake here. I don't claim to be a photographic expert here, but something's fishy.
Old November 8, 2005, 07:14 PM   #13
H&H,hunter

Quote:
Hey, wai-wai-wait. You see how the shadows make the ground slightly darker on one side of the buf? I don't see them next to the ferocious terrior. I smell a fake here. I don't claim to be a photographic expert here, but something's fishy.
Today 01:09 PM
NRA4Life

I was hoping to make that picture so obviously fake that nobody would even consider that it was real. Please tell me you're joking.

The picture of the Buff is real the 8 week old puppy holding a beanie baby in his mouth is pasted into the picture as joke.

As far as I know there has never been an 8 week old puppy kill a 2,000 lb cape buffalo bull in the history of dogs or cape buffalo.
Old November 9, 2005, 10:45 AM   #14
NRA4life

Of course I was, a lilltle levity on top of a little levity. That's a nice looking little pup. Hope to get back into hunting dogs someday. Jobs just don't allow it right now.
Old November 10, 2005, 11:07 AM   #15
Gewehr98

Speaking of hog dogs...

Rich, how's your Catahoula pup doing these days? Getting all sorts of training on the feral Florida and Texas piggies, right?

Neural Misfires
Old November 10, 2005, 03:45 PM   #16
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Gewehr-
Killed his first hog a couple weeks back....we think.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...=185104&page=2

Rich