The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 18, 2012, 03:55 PM   #26
kxkid

Same here I ordered stuff only got 4 out of 7. When I called back 1 of the 3 were now on backorder, when I placed my order the week before it was not. They sent me what they had in stock now just waiting on my last piece

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Old January 18, 2012, 04:46 PM   #27
mdd

I do 90% of my gun business with midway and have yet to have an issue. Since they are in Missouri and I'm in Kansas my order is often on my doorstep the next day. I have talked to the guys at powder valley and they seem like good folks but I have never ordered from them. I don't order anything from cabelas.
Old January 18, 2012, 07:46 PM   #28
jdillon

Midway has served me well over the years and contributed many dollars to Larry's enterprise. The only problem I have had with drop shipments or when they use USPS. Ordered some powder a few weeks ago and never received a shipping notice for the drop shipment. I live in a rural area and travel a great deal. I return home about two weeks after the order to see three attempted delivery notices on my door and will have to pick up at the FedEx facility which is 45 miles away. Called FedEx and Midway.and instructed them to return the powder to shipper. The Midway people were very nice and would credit my account. Just won't order powder or primers from them anymore.
Old January 19, 2012, 02:23 AM   #29
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Midway has served me well over the years and contributed many dollars to Larry's enterprise. The only problem I have had with drop shipments or when they use USPS. Ordered some powder a few weeks ago and never received a shipping notice for the drop shipment. I live in a rural area and travel a great deal. I return home about two weeks after the order to see three attempted delivery notices on my door and will have to pick up at the FedEx facility which is 45 miles away. Called FedEx and Midway.and instructed them to return the powder to shipper. The Midway people were very nice and would credit my account. Just won't order powder or primers from them anymore.
Midway won't drop-ship powder or primers, and they state such many times in product descriptions and checkout procedures ("Adult signature required"). You can't blame Midway for that one.
And, it's generally a bad idea to go out of town, when you're expecting a delivery...
Old January 19, 2012, 02:31 AM   #30
mrawesome22

That is a fedex problem.

They have a signature policy on everything.

Last time I shipped fedex, they delivered it to the post office, then the post office delivered it to me. Wth???

Time before that, fedex left a note, I left a note, he left another note..... I finally left a note stating that my neighbors were trustworthy and to leave the damn package on my porch.....

Anyway, avoid fedex if possible.
Old January 19, 2012, 02:33 AM   #31
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Last time I shipped fedex, they delivered it to the post office, then the post office delivered it to me. Wth???
FedEx and USPS have contracted to ship and/or deliver certain items for each other.
Old January 19, 2012, 03:05 AM   #32
mrawesome22

Ordered my vehicle registration online on Dec 28th. State got it in the mail on the 6th....

Aftet the "10 business day" period came and went, I called and was told to wait longer.

Showed up yesterday. 12 days it took usps to send an envelope.

Avoid usps and fedex at all costs lol.

That big brown truck has never had an issue and gives my grumpy dog a treat. She used to bark at him, now when he goes down the road she gets dissapointed if he doesn't stop at our house lol.
Old January 19, 2012, 08:17 AM   #33
hounddawg

I just paid a extra buck and a half for shipping last night to go with the brown truck on a order, cheap insurance since UPS seems to be the best in my area at least. Oh and I did end up splitting that order up since one item was backordered at Midway and patience is not my strong suit.
Old January 20, 2012, 08:38 PM   #34
jdillon

FrankenMauser

FYI drop shipment is a term used to denote shipments that are not made directly from the seller but through a 3rd. party which in my case was Western Powders. You are correct in that Midway states this clearly on their website.

Western Powder did not send a tracking notice for the shipment so there was no way to track the shipment so arrangements could not be made to accept the delivery. My preference is not to use FedEx due to service failures but not given the choice.

BTW I work in the industrial development business and if I am lucky, I will have two days notice when I have to travel to any point in the country. I have leased millions of SF of space to UPS and it may be the finest company in the world. If you want it delivered on time and want to know where your stuff is at any point in time while in transit, there is no company like Brown period!
Old January 21, 2012, 02:58 AM   #35
FrankenMauser

I see the misunderstanding now.
But... I have never had anyone refer to 3rd party shipping as a "drop shipment" in my life. Perhaps its a regional thing, such as...

Quote:
BTW I work in the industrial development business and if I am lucky, I will have two days notice when I have to travel to any point in the country. I have leased millions of SF of space to UPS and it may be the finest company in the world. If you want it delivered on time and want to know where your stuff is at any point in time while in transit, there is no company like Brown period!
That's true... right up until delivery. In my town, if you want the delivery driver to lob your $4,500 package onto your porch, and break all the contents... There is only one question you need to ask: What can Brown do for you?
Around here, FedEx sucks; but UPS is worse.

(I am home all day. I have seen 50+ UPS deliveries lobbed onto my porch by the drivers. It isn't a single, isolated incident. The most incredible one, ever, was launched from my driveway, nearly 40 feet onto my porch. That jackass driver was lucky that the scope inside was not damaged, and the window not broken. )

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; January 21, 2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old January 21, 2012, 06:36 AM   #36
hooligan1

Well let me just "pile it on",,,, So my story starts like this, Midway had a special on Hogue overmoulded stocks that were advertised to fit my rifle, and get this, on SALE!!!, well I bought one, they sent it, trouble was, wrong stock,,,,, I mailed it back and ordered a different brand,( I read all the stinking reviews) and according to the reviews on this product, most patrons had to do some form of fitting to get the stock to fit...

Well let me tell ya, they WONT TAKE BACK A STOCK THAT HAS BEEN LIGHLTY DREMMELED!!!! and so they had me send it to B&C, where the nice lady told me they shipped it back to me,(before I could talk to a technician and explain).

So now I have this $148.00 lampshade stand....

but I still order goods from Larry, because well because he's cool!!

And you are totally right there Franken, those mouths will split,,, but I think Larry will make it good for you, happy loading man..
Old January 21, 2012, 07:29 AM   #37
spaniel

"While they may not have everything in stock, they at least have projected stock dates."

Good luck with that. I ordered three boxes of bullets, one listed in stock and the other two on backorder with an expected arrival in a week. After I ordered I was notified my in-stock item was also backordered. I received that item in two weeks....the arrival dates for the others kept pushing out. A month later the second item arrived, of course I was charged shipping AGAIN. After another month or so I canceled the third item and have not used them since.

If I want to over-pay like Midway's prices, I will order from Cabelas as they will not screw me with multiple shipping charges. Since I run everything I can through their credit card (best credit card CS I've ever had), I use their points and rarely pay much out of pocket.
Old January 21, 2012, 07:46 AM   #38
Shane Tuttle
Staff

To veer off-topic a touch: That sounds like local UPS management. Or, should I say, mismanagement. UPS is awesome in my area. FedEx....well....I'll bite my tongue.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 21, 2012, 10:29 AM   #39
TXGunNut

I generally build an order on Midway or Cabelas an item or two at a time on the "wish list". Never had an issue with damage or shortage but I'm lucky that way. Just checked my Midway list and almost every item had a price increase Jan 1. Bummer. Guess I'll wait for a sale. +1 on Powder Valley, good folks.
Shipping is another matter, generally I have them ship it to my PO box, if possible. If not I have them ship it to me @ work or home via UPS. Have a good driver both places, one @ home knows how to hide stuff from my neighbors' prying eyes.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old January 22, 2012, 02:33 AM   #40
Hook686

I have had two complaints with midwayusa that were not corrected.

- I bought a recoil pad listed for a wood stock Remington 1100, which is what I have. It did not fit (my Remington 1100 is from 1975). I paid inflated shipping to get it and the return shipping ... a no win from my point of view.

- I ordered a handful of items. A couple were out of stock. Midway shipped the partial order (which incurred the small order extra fee). Later the remaining items were sent (again incurring the small order added fee).

I avoid ordering from midwayusa these days. A bummer since they usually showed what I was looking for. They use to be my goto on-line store.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old January 25, 2012, 12:42 AM   #41
2ndtimer

Midway used to be my No. 1 Etailer, back when they had good prices and offered lots of bulk brass and bullets, which they offered at substantial discounts if you ordered in bulk (like 1000 bullets or 500 cases). I have used them less and less over the years because Powder Valley beats them on prices, shipping and service. I also like Natchez Shooters Supply for their sales, and have also started using Mid-South Shooter's Supply. (Sure hope those Hornady Z-Max bullets I pre-ordered get shipped soon, that Zombie Apocalypse could happen any time, and there is no telling if standard Ballistic Tips, V-Maxes or SPSX bullets will stop them)