The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 19, 2008, 10:36 AM   #1
jaymag

Jim shockey's big stick loads?

I was wondering if anyone tried these 150gr.magnum loads.How would they compare with regular triple seven.Power accracey and consictancey?
Old December 19, 2008, 11:27 AM   #2
kwhi43

A fool and their money are soon parted.
Old December 19, 2008, 12:11 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 19, 2008, 12:26 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

What's wrong with blackpowder? You know the real stuff!
Old December 19, 2008, 02:49 PM   #5
Pahoo

jaymag:
I see that the previous three replie were of great help to your honest question. :barf:

Cannot help you much as well as I mostly shoot loose powder. My experiance is that 777 is hotter that the American pioneer products. I currently shoot American pioneer in most of my personal Traditionals and 777 in the rifles we teach with. I really do not care for any pellets as I know how inconsistant they can be and loading problems.

Be Safe !!!
Old December 19, 2008, 03:21 PM   #6
Wild Bill Bucks

This reply will not hold true for all rifles, but from what I have seen it will be true for 90% of the rifles made today.
Just because a rifle will handle a 150 grain load, does not mean it will shoot this load with any great accuracy.
Most of the guys (including myself) that have gone to any length, to play with different loads, will tell you that their rifle will hold accuracy up to 130 grains, but after that, will start to scatter rounds all over the target.
At 100 yards, any one of my 3 rifles will hold a group of about 1 1/2" from 90 grains up to 120 grains, but at 130 grains, the groups will open up to about 5" and at 140 grains to about 12" groups. At 150 grains, I can't get on a 3 ft piece of cardboard.
The sabot is probably the culprit, but after trying several different kinds, I finally went with the MMP Black sabot, and stay at around 100 grains of 777.
As I said before, some rifles seem to handle the 150 grain load pretty much OK, but they are sure in the minority.
Mostly what I think, is anything over 100 grains, is just a waste of your money. ( On whitetail anyway)
Old December 21, 2008, 11:23 AM   #7
jaymag

(Wild bill Buck)Yeah I don't like pellets

I use 777 loose powder in my gun.I don't feel you can buy a better powder.Shooting anything over a 100gr. is a waste for deer.But if you are going for far shots or hunting dangerus game like jim shockey than a 150gr.would be loaded in my gun.I was just wondering about the new product.I won't run out and buy anything over 777 powder.
Old December 21, 2008, 01:07 PM   #8
shortwave

jaymag, haven`t tried the sticks. As Pahoo and others have stated, don`t care much for pellets. Have had best luck with loose powders. Think I`ll stick with AP. Wonder if the sticks burn from the inside out like the pellets?