The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 10, 2015, 02:45 PM   #26
Keg

Quote:
This is hilarious....He said the guns had been refinished..so they are classified as shooters only..
Correct, and most folks buying A5's and 97's to "shoot" want longer barrels
U missed the point... Refinished guns are just shooter quality..therefore they have lost much of their value.... Therefore..this makes them perfect candidate for this...plus they are pretty cool....Ever priced a 97' riot gun? They ain't cheap... As far as what most folks might want.. Who cares? If it were original..that would be different..but it's not....
Old March 10, 2015, 04:40 PM   #27
mellow_c

Keg, if you were going to sell your 1897 what do you think you could get for it?

I got my 1897 real cheap! I bought it from an unknowledgeable pawn shop where someone had reassembled it incorrectly, the action was all jammed up and they thought it was going to need a gunsmith to fix it. so I got it out the door for just over $200!!! I took it home, reassembled it correctly and all was good. So I'll be ahead with this gun forever no matter what I do or don't do to it.

44amp. I hear you loud and clear on the 1897. What's your take on the A5?
Old March 10, 2015, 06:48 PM   #28
Keg

I bought the gun for $250....replaced cracked stock $79...added pad $50....cut barrel and replace bead..plus reblue receiver $75....so a little less than $500 in it.... I didn't really expect to get my money back on this project..but after shooting it I think I might could make a little off it..if I wanted....depended on where I advertised it....
Old March 10, 2015, 06:58 PM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

The A5 is both a much newer design, and was still in production in living memory. Also, there are no games I know of where anything makes the A5 unique, unlike the 97, which is, I believe the only pump gun allowed in CAS. (or at least the only one in sufficient numbers to matter).

SO, essentially, yes, they are both old guns, refinished, so purist collectors will turn up their noses. Shooter collectors value things a little differently. Anyone wanting an A5 wants it because it is an A5, and likely would want to hunt with it. Might not care about the finish, but the barrel (and its choke) will matter to them.

They're yours, you have every right to make them into anything you want. All I'm trying to say is think about it a bit, and remember what is a neat toy today could be a tragic mistake down the road a ways.

And one thing about chopping those barrels, there goes any choke. Everybody's different, and what's hot today can be cold tomorrow. If you aren't planning on selling them, enjoy them. Just be aware you might be trading future value (or simple sale-ability) for today's fun. That's all.

Friend of mine, some years back, his spouse inherited a beat up old 97. 30" full choke. The finish is brown...he was going to turn it into a faux trench gun. He asked me to look at it, and I did, and got a little confused, it was a bit odd. Had to do a little research. Turns out the gun was one of the "solid frame" guns, indicating possible first year production. SO, he changed his mind on the trench gun idea. Haven't seen him in years, so I don't know the final fate of the gun, but I do know he found another project to play with.
Old March 11, 2015, 01:53 AM   #30
mellow_c

Well... what about this?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=471536109

To my door for about $200 I've got only hours to buy it. Then I'd need another $50 or more to shorten it.

Would keep the A5 mostly original and satisfy my urge for an original military style A5...

Would it be wise to spend almost another $300 in addition to the almost $500 I paid for the gun to have two barrel lengths giving me an all Belgium do all A5?
Old March 11, 2015, 08:30 AM   #31
jaguarxk120

The british restore, reblue, refinish, or maintain guns in their proper condition and the guns do not seem to loose any value.

As a matter of fact some gain considerable value over the years.

Check at Guns International and while your at the site check the guns offered by Turnbull!
Old March 11, 2015, 04:35 PM   #32
mellow_c

Well, I talked the guy down on the barrel. He ended the auction and told me we have a deal for $170.00 shipped to my door. Then he asked me to send the money order to his PO Box.

He said he would normally hold out, but he's really broke right now. It sounds like he's wanting to skip out on using gun broker, which is fine with me... I guess. Hopefully I'll be able to talk with him over the phone and get a feel for him before sending the money. Or maybe he would send me the barrel before I send the money

Hopefully the deal goes smoothly. And I'll end up with a good condition identical Belgium 2 3/4" barrel that I can have cut down to just over 18". I talked to a local gun smith who thinks he can do the work for between $50 and $100, cutting the barrel and replacing the bead.
Old March 11, 2015, 04:42 PM   #33
Blindstitch

Good luck. Hopefully the p.o box thing doesn't bite you.
Old March 11, 2015, 06:21 PM   #34
mellow_c

Thanks Blindstitch

I just talked to him over the phone, I feel much better now. He sounded like he does a lot of this and has many other items on gun broker. He basically said that he sells stuff on gun broker to support his hobby. He was able to tell me where he got the barrel and a few other things. I feel like it's going to work out just fine and I'll end up with a good condition reasonably priced barrel fresh and ready for modification.
Old March 14, 2015, 06:36 PM   #35
Drm50

Short barrel 97 & A-5
I have cut down many shotguns. Most were done to shoot slugs. I can't think
of make or model that I haven't whacked. It just so happens I have the very
2 shotguns the OP was referring to, Win 97 & A-5. The 97 I got with a terrible
home poly choke job, the A-5 had it's barrel run over by a car. I wouldn't butcher a good old gun, I saved these. I keep a new Rigid pipe cutter for only
shotgun barrels. Once cut off I use a barrel crowning tool with pilot, sold by
Brownells, to finish crown. To rebead size 45 bit & 3/56 tap is required or
#31 bit & 6/48 tap. I had Win. screw in choke threads in 97, A-5 has Williams
Shorty ramp and Marble front. Rear sight on A-5 is off old 700 Rem. The
steel sight is easier to silver soldier. Both these guns will shoot with any
smooth bore shot gun that is factory stock. I have cloned many of these
for other guys. It ain't rocket science, just cutting for HD is easier yet.
Old March 17, 2015, 02:02 PM   #36
mellow_c

Those both look real nice Drm50
Old March 18, 2015, 10:37 PM   #37
mellow_c

The extra barrel arrived today. Looks and fits good. I'll test them both out once I can get ahold of and install the rest of the parts I'm replacing. Recoil spring, brass friction ring and spring, action spring.

Once all that is done I'll order the magazine extension I that I decide on, and then take the barrel to the smith to have it cut accordingly.

Thanks for all the posts everyone. I'll be sure to start a new thread recapping the project once I'm finished. Pictures included.