The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 17, 2011, 05:11 PM   #1
Weller

EAA Witness Conversion

I have a full size steel EAA Witness 9mm/22lr combo and was looking to get either a .40 or .45 conversion for it. I was wondering if the compact slide would stick out past the full size frame, be even, or worse be short. I was also hoping that someone would either have this setup or have both a full size and a compact steel witness that they could put together and post a picture so I could see what I was getting myself into. Additionally if you do have this setup is there anything that I need to be weary of?

Thanks,
Weller
Old August 17, 2011, 06:21 PM   #2
SIGSHR

I confess I have no familarity with the EAA Witness but AFAIK buying a second slide for a caliber conversion-on the M1911, for example-only works with cartridges that have the same case head diameter-9MMP and 38 Super, e.g. The limiting factor is the ejector in its position in the frame and its' corresponding slot in the slide.
Old August 17, 2011, 07:09 PM   #3
Weller

Thanks for your input SIGSHR, I am new owning handguns and don't know much about 1911's but as far as the witness I know that it can be done. I believe the ejector is part of the conversion kit in which you put an entirely new slide/barrel assembly and magazine. I was more interested in the appearance of a compact slide on a full size frame, whether or not it would be shorter than the frame and if anyone has had any problems directly related to this configuration of a full size steel frame and compact slide. Again thanks SIGSHR, I learned a little something new about 1911's. Aren't firearms intriguing?
Old August 18, 2011, 12:51 AM   #4
OkieCruffler

I can't answer your exact question but I own an EAA CarryComp in 45acp which is a large frame paired with a compact upper and (unfortunately) ported. Looks like this.

Old August 18, 2011, 09:56 AM   #5
larry60

I bought the Witness 45 acp with the 22 conversion and I love it. i had some issues with failure to feed with the 45 that I solved with a stronger recoil spring from Wolf Springs. As tempting as the price is for the conversion kits from EAA they are like having only one gun.
Old August 18, 2011, 10:26 AM   #6
aarondhgraham

Hello Weller,,,

Could you give us a report on the performance of your 9mm/22 combo?

I'm especially interested in hearing how well the .22 option runs.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 18, 2011, 12:45 PM   #7
gyvel

I don't think you can get .45 conversions for the 9mm, unless something new has been introduced by Tanfoglio. I'm pretty sure the .45 has a larger frame than the 9mm.

The .45 frame will take a .38 Super conversion upper as well as a 10mm, and I'm pretty sure the .22 upper conversions are different for the 9mm and .45.
Old August 18, 2011, 07:45 PM   #8
Weller

Thanks OkieCruffler, Thats what I was looking for, looks perfect. I guess I was expecting the slide to be smaller, I'm going to have to get mine ordered soon. As far as the larger conversion kits with the 9mm, EAA only imported the large frame Witness after 2005 so any steel conversion kit will fit. I had a few FTFs with the 22lr conversion but I believe this to be caused by the magazine not going all the way into the magazine well, as a firm tap on the bottom of the magazine will eliminate this problem. I sanded to top of the floor plate of the mag in an attempt to resolve this issue but haven't had a chance to try it out since. As far as ammo I haven't had any issue with any particular brand yet, it shoots whatever I put in it.
Old August 18, 2011, 10:18 PM   #9
OkieCruffler

At one time there was a 45 conversion made for the smaller frame. I know where 2 of them are sitting. I was going to buy one so I would have a full sized upper as well and luckily had my pistol with me. The upper is just a smidgeon to narrow.
Old August 20, 2011, 01:43 AM   #10
Weller

I just took another look at your post OkieCruffler, and noticed you wrote "large frame" and not full size frame. I think I must have been a little too tired when I read that as I have the newer large frame, full size frame with the rail. It appears as if my frame is longer just by judging the length of the rail/front of the frame by the comparing it to the length of the trigger guard. So I think the compact slide is going to be closer to being even with the frame, although I could still be mistaken. If anyone has a newer full size, large frame witness with the rail and a compact slide a picture would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the pic OkieCruffler, there just seems to be too many variations of this pistol, one has to really pay attention to the details.
Old January 2, 2012, 04:47 PM   #11
b5.5dan

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but why would having a ported barrel on your compact Witness be an unfortunate thing?
Old January 2, 2012, 08:05 PM   #12
OkieCruffler

My biggest complaint with it is that it's a pain to clean, especially if you shoot lead like I do. Some people also complain of the added muzzle flash but I don't notice that as much.

Tags
conversion , eaa , kit , witness