The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 14, 2005, 10:07 PM   #51
mec

Uberti USA provides service for the Ubertis imported by them- this means all of them for the last several years. Three years ago, I asked them about parts/service for a 14 year old Paterson- the answer, " Call Cabelas" I did so and was told that they didn't know if they had any parts for the gun or not. A local distributor here, L.M.Burney Company told me that Cabelas has a vast number of products including parts but that the number were so huge, Cabelas usually couldn't find anything in their warehouses. A few years ago, an individual was doing a comprehensive search for Pietta-LeMat Parts. He detailed a number of contacts with the parts man at Cabelas and the final outcome was that they gave up. About that time, I had a Pietta Lemat from Navy Arms Company and put in an order for a selection of spare parts. After a year, the order expired and was renewied. The Navy Arms man told me that in that period of time, Pietta did not ship a single revolver part. Subsequently, VTI GunParts came into being or made arrangements with Pietta. They never did get a domestic supply of parts but did successfully order a comprehensive selection for me from Italy-and told me they could do so again. Taylor Inc. lists LeMat Parts and Pietta Starr Parts online. I ordered a number of action parts for the LeMat and did receive them after 2 months. The time frame is typical of a successful back-order from Italy. Less successful back orders can run into the years or will never be filled if it the manufacturer regards it as too much trouble to fill.

I am hearing from a number of happy Pietta Customers. I recently tested one of the Smith breach -loading carbines they sell through Dixie Gun Works and others. It was flawless in all respects- a very high quality piece of work with outstanding metal work, case hardening and blue. Dixie even lists a good selection of parts for them. Other sutlers find the carbines very hard to get.

Bates, older stainless 58 remington comes from Pietta. He had to open the frame in the back and deal with a shallow- bored nipple channel to get it to function but it is extremely accurate and he has never had to replace a single part. I've had two of their lemats and found them very accurate. There are some problems with the design- but this is endemic in the LeMat design rather than the execution by Pietta. One disturbing factor I encounted was the seeming disinterest or lack of knowledge by one of the Pietta respondents in regard to parts availability and customer service. He provided inaccurate information about the availability of LeMat parts and refused to respond in regard to customer service.
Old December 14, 2005, 10:41 PM   #52
Remington kid

LOL, Your right about Piettas customer relations. It's almost non existent. I did see a parts list somwhere on the net for Pietta parts and it looked great. The list and pictures included every part of the gun, Fram, barrel and all. If I se it again I'll see that you get the link.
Old December 14, 2005, 11:02 PM   #53
mec

Check out Taylors- very comprehensive list. Some are probably in-house and others available by back-order. Taylor has schematics for all of them including the Starr Revolver by Pietta. The Starr single and double actions became available with great fan-fare a few years ago but customers complained about ignition failures. At first they blaimed a weak mainspring but later found that the nipples were too far from the hammer. A few people made them shoot by making spacers to bring the nipples out farther. One guy, who posed here or on thehighroad, wanted a project and ordered one of these. He had to shim the nipples and,since basic parts were not readily available, he figured out what size flat spring wire to order from Brownelles for occasional replacement of the trigger/bolt and hand springs.
I have the impression that VTI will not picture and list parts unless they can count on having them in stock - but they do encourage people to call about other parts they might need ordered from europe.

Note the following on Numrich Gunparts
http://www.e-gunparts.com/products.a...OLT%20ARMY&MC=
The parts of the Pietta 1860 army with asterics are all "sold out" They have been listed sold out for the past three years.
The Pietta 58 Remington has no parts listed at all except for a couple of Kartridge Konverters

Now see the GunParts list for the Uberti 1860 army and 58 Remington:
No parts listed as unavailable
http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...80z1860%20ARMY

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...Y%20AND%20NAVY

You can find generic parts at Brownelles including a parts package for the colt army and Navy in a Pietta package.
Old December 14, 2005, 11:50 PM   #54
gmatov

Mec,

Thanks for your reply. Question is moot, now, had found one at 225, it didn't get a bid, and has expired. Didn't want to overpay, don't know if I really want one, anyhow.

There was some interest in the 63, I think, .31 cal Rem. If anybody is interested, will post the page, all, supposedly NIB. But, brass, and I can't find a brass model in my book.

Ah, well,

Cheers,

George
Old December 15, 2005, 01:33 AM   #55
Smokin_Gun

Armi San Marcos Parts

Here's a good site for ASM parts...also this place, but you have to call and ask they have no site, but a large selection of ASM parts...

http://www.thegunworks.com/
clk custom & production guns/CVA/Revolver Parts they have some ASM by CVA parts.

Armi San Marcos Parts

Deer Creek Products
6989 E Michigan Rd
Waldron, IN 46182
(765) 525-6181

P.O. box 246
6989 E. Michigan Rd.
Waldron, IN 46182
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php