The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 23, 2008, 11:56 AM   #1
toolmaan

Newby with questions

Hello,

I have lurked this forum for awhile and am looking at purchasing a deer rifle for next season. I don't have a lot of knowledge about rifles. I am looking at a Winchester 94 30-30 lever action rifle that is at a pawn shop. It looks to be in great shape. Their asking price is around $300. Does this seem to be a decent price for this rifle? There is no scope mounted to it at thsi time. I was thinking of getting a new rifle but my budget is around the $300-$400 range so I don't think I can get a quality new rifle at that price.

Is there a way to tell the year of this rifle by looking at the serial number?

If anyone knows of a new rifle in my price range that is quality I would love to hear about it. I want a rifle that is going to last me for a long time.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks!!
Old December 23, 2008, 01:39 PM   #2
kraigwy

Now days a Model 94 for $300 is a good buy, I dont see them getting any cheaper.

If you want a rifle that will last a LONG time, I think you'll be satisified with the Model 94.

Most any modern rifle (or not so modern) will last several life times if reasonable care is taken.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 23, 2008, 02:02 PM   #3
Smaug

Welcome to The Firing Line.

Winchester 94s aren't as scope-friendly as Marlin lever actions. Marlins eject empties out the side instead of the top.

But $300 sounds fair if it seems to be in good mechanical condition. Do you mind hunting with open sights or peep sights? If not, go for it.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old December 23, 2008, 03:20 PM   #4
T-Ray

Win. 94's are good, but if you want to put a scope on it, you might want to look at a marlin 336 or similar. The winchesters eject the spent cases out the top of the reciever, whereas the marlins eject the spent cases out the side, like most other guns. Since the winchesters eject out the top, you have to mount the scope on the side of the rifle, or you might be able to do a scout mount (i think that would work, i'm not 100% sure). A scout mount is where you mount the scope very far forward on the rifle, generally on the barrel:
Scout Mount:

As for the marlins, you can just mount the scope like most any other rifle, and they are still being made, so i think you can get one new for under $400.
Marlin 336:

www.texasguntalk.com/forums
Old December 23, 2008, 04:00 PM   #5
toolmaan

T-Ray and Smaug,

I appreciate the info on how the winchester empties out the top, I didn't realize that. I plan on using a scope. I started using a scope with my 22 and really like it that way.

At budsgunshop.com they have a new Marlin 30-06 for under $300 but I could not find a 30-30 listed.
Old December 23, 2008, 04:41 PM   #6
globemaster3

There is nothing wrong in the rifle or caliber choice and most consider a lever-action 30-30 a classic deer rifle. Arguably, the 30-30 ranks in there with the 30-06 for most deer killed in the US based on articles I've read in numerous shooting rags. It performs its best inside ~150 yards with standard ammunition offerings.

The Winchester 94 is a classic, considered "bullet proof" (pun intended) rifle. The only drawback is for scope mounting as mentioned above. If you are really desiring a lever-action 30-30 and are certain about scoping it, any of the Marlin offerings would be better suited. Since Winchester ceased producing 94's a couple years ago, the existing ones might increase in value as time passes. Don't let the production stoppage influence your decision, however, as the 94 labelling is short for 1894, which if I remember right was the first year of production. I provide this as colorful background on a fine rifle.

Now, you did not mention if you were considering other actions. Since you only mentioned seeing this one on sale, I hope that is not limiting you to other options/possibilities out there. There are other rifles/calibers available for your $400 price point. Some to consider are the Weatherby Vanguard, Marlin XL-7, Mossberg 100, Howa 1500 which are all bolt action rifles offered in a plethora of calibers. Realize you won't see 30-30 in a bolt-action rifle in current production due to the rim on the cartridge. If memory serves, there's only been 1-2 rifles in history that were a 30-30 bolt.

Again, I'm not saying anything wrong about the Win 94 in 30-30; its a great combination. A well thought out choice will prevent buyers remorse.

Good luck with your decision and ask away with further questions!
Old December 23, 2008, 05:28 PM   #7
megarouge

Bass pro shops sells a rather nice Savage 30-06 premounted with a scope for about #369.00 or so. It has black synthetic stock and seems to be a nice rifle for a good price. It may not win a 700 yard competition but most deer shots are well under this 50-200 yards it should be adequate. It is plenty of gun for elk and other large game as well. I do not know the Savage warranty but a pawn shop gun never or rarely comes with a warranty anyhow. These guns seem to be worth a look. If there is a bass pro or cabelas in your area check them out.
Old December 23, 2008, 05:58 PM   #8
toolmaan

Thanks for the responses!

I am not limited to a 30-30. Just looking for a good all around deer rifle. .308, 30-30 or 30-06 I am willing to look at, maybe even a lower caliber. I happened to stumble across the one in the pawn shop. Lever or bolt action is probably the way I will go. I suppose there is no real way to test fire a gun at some of the big box stores like Cabelas? In a perfect world I would like to keep the price as clsoe to $300 as possible, that way I can stock up on ammo and such.
Old December 23, 2008, 07:31 PM   #9
T-Ray

Quote:
At budsgunshop.com they have a new Marlin 30-06 for under $300 but I could not find a 30-30 listed.
I looked at buds earlier today and they were sold out of the .30-30's. I did see some of their bolt actions, but these are a pretty new make and not all that many people have first hand experience with them. If you plan on shooting past 200 yards, you might want to look at something like a .30-06 or .308 in a bolt action, like the savage that megarouge mentioned

www.texasguntalk.com/forums
Old December 23, 2008, 08:01 PM   #10
Smaug

toolmaan - Think of what kind of country you'll be hunting deer in.

The 30-06 has at least 50% more effective range than the 30-30, but it kicks more and is not offered in a classic lever action. Well, there's the Browning BLR, but those are not cheap.

In my area, any shot taken on a deer would be inside 200 yards, and the 30-30 is in its element in that range.

If you're not so picky about having a classic lever action, the 30-06 bolt action will do anything the 30-30 will do and then some. It would likely be more accurate too. I guess chambering another round in the 30-30 would be quite a bit faster, if it came to that. But it won't come to that in deer hunting.

Get a Marlin 336, but get the "C" not the cheaper "A".

The "C" has a real black walnut stock, while the "A" has the "walnut-finished" stock.

Personally, I'm thinking hard on a Marlin 1894 in 44 Magnum to go with my Redhawk.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old December 29, 2008, 01:53 PM   #11
toolmaan

Well still on the look out for a rifle. I spotted 2 Savage 110's 30-06 at a pawn shop today. One was $295 without a scope and the other is $325 with a cheap looking scope on it. The one without the scope looks as though it was hardly used. I don't really see any scratches on it. As mentioned earlier in this thread this gun can be had at Bass Pro for $370 with a scope.

Is the Savage 110 a decent gun for the used price? I do not have a Bass Pro near me, only a Gander Mountain and their prices seem high.

There is a gun show this weekend I am going to check out also.

Tags
winchester 94