The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 29, 2009, 10:15 PM   #1
kwells6

hunting regs help

what states allow a person to use a 45-70 to hunt with in black powder season, and what are the regs?
Old December 29, 2009, 10:27 PM   #2
Doyle

I seem to recall something about Alabama recently changing the law to allow it. Don't rely just on me though - my memory isn't what it used to be.
Old December 29, 2009, 11:25 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I do not think it is allowed in Fla... not positive about it though...
Brent
Old December 29, 2009, 11:41 PM   #4
Swampghost

Generally it is considered a cartridge that is still currently manufactured which eliminates it's use here for BP season.

I couldn't get a decent answer out of the FWC or BATFE guys at a recent gunshow in Palm Beach. I was also asking about shipping Trapdoors, again no definitive answers.

One would think that the Gov't would not want to be represented by some goobs. In this case they pulled it off nicely.
Old December 30, 2009, 12:54 AM   #5
Crankylove

Would be illegal in Utah. Here, we don't have a "Black Powder" season, its "Muzzleloader" instead. Must be a muzzleloading rifle, with a .45 cal minimum (I think), and also a minimum ball/bullet wieght, using black powder or black powder substitute (Pyrodex is ok, no smokeless).
Old December 30, 2009, 07:46 AM   #6
Hog Buster

In Louisiana it's called Primitive Firearms Season. It covers black powder guns (rifles and pistols .44 cal or larger) muzzle loaders or in line. Breech loading rifles (.38 cal or larger) of a kind manufactured prior to 1900 or a replica of that type having an exposed hammer, using metallic cartridges loaded with smokeless or black powder. Scopes are allowed. This gives us about a week prior to and after regular gun season.
La Department of Wildlife and Fisheries has a list of allowed primitive weapons.
I use an H&R Buffalo Classic 45/70. Way too much gun for deer, but you have to do what you have to do.

Last edited by Hog Buster; December 30, 2009 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old December 30, 2009, 08:23 AM   #7
steveno

I doubt that any state allows a 45-70 regardless powder type to be used in a blackpowder season. it is a centerfire round

Last edited by steveno; December 30, 2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old December 30, 2009, 08:52 AM   #8
Doyle

Quote:
I doubt that any state allows a 45-70 regardless powder type to be used in a blackpowder season. it is a centerfire round
Not so young Grasshopper. Some states don't have "blackpower" season - they have "primitive weapons" season and certain centerfire calibers used in certain types of weapons are allowed (see the previous post about Louisiana).

Florida is definately NOT one of the states where it is allowed.
Old December 30, 2009, 09:49 AM   #9
steveno

I doubt that the H & R Buffalo rifle is a replica of any rifle prior to 1900. I would think that it implies a Sharps , rolling block or Springfield. if it is allowed it is a very loose definition of the terms
Old December 30, 2009, 03:03 PM   #10
Hog Buster

Steveno

Yet once again you are wrong. The H&R Buffalo Classic is a copy of an 1871 rifle. But then again I was taught to never argue with a fool, because others might not be able to tell the difference.
Old December 30, 2009, 04:15 PM   #11
steveno

just so I won't post another foolish question just what rifle is the H & R Buffalo rifle to be a replica of?
Old December 30, 2009, 05:15 PM   #12
Hog Buster

Steveno

I'll type this real slow.......a H&R Model 1871 Rifle.............OK
Old December 30, 2009, 06:30 PM   #13
steveno

so how come it doesn't show up in the blue book under H & R? the only rifle mentioned in the blue book is the H & R copy of the Springfield 1873 and doesn't mention anything of the Buffalo rifle. there isn't any mention at all of anything 1871. are we talking about the single shot break action with a 45-70 barrel stuck on it or something else as that is the only H & R Buffalo rifle that I'm seen? if there was another rifle I think it would be at least mentioned in the blue book
Old December 30, 2009, 06:35 PM   #14
steveno

I just looked in a 2006 Gun Digest and the Buffalo rifle is shown how I thought it was made. the company name is H & R 1871 LLC. the rifle was introduced in 1995. there isn't any mention of an 1871 rifle
Old December 30, 2009, 07:32 PM   #15
Hog Buster

steveno

Try reading this:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/h-r_rifles.htm
Old December 31, 2009, 01:37 PM   #16
bamaranger

Mississippi

MS allows cartridge guns if they are over a certain caliber (.44?) single shot, and the action dates prior a certain era (1900?) , iron sights, etc. The intent was supposedly to allow the BPCR guys to hunt w/ their Sharps, etc.

What has happened is that the H & R single shots in .44 mag and .45-70 qualify.
Gun shops did a landmark business on them. Everybody switched from inline muzzleloaders. The "muzzleloader" kill has risen dramitically. Which is what the state and the insurance companies probably wanted.