The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 17, 2010, 09:59 PM   #1
xtratoy

savage four tenner insert

Does anyone have the installation instruction sheet that came with these that they would scan for me? It would be nice to actually have the directions so that I don't damage the one I got that had no box or instructions.
Old November 18, 2010, 12:13 AM   #2
zippy13

Good luck with your quest, xtratoy. I had a pair of those gadgets back in the late 60s and early 70s. IIRC, there's no mystery; but, after all the years, I suspect the O-ring may have lost some of its elasticity and want replacing. The same precautions that apply to modern full length tubes also apply to the four-tenners, clean the barrel and the four-tenner before installation and center the four-tenner's extractor over the gun's extractor.

The only problem I had (other than marginal pattern development) was when I didn't keep the four-tenner's extractor in contact with the gun's while loading. (The club where I used to night shoot wasn't well lighted at the shooting stations.) If the four-tenner's extractor is pulled out beyond the gun's, then there there's the possibility that it will deflect while loading and allow the head of the .410 round to get below the little extractor. If you keep the two extractors in contact, then the hull can't sneak under the top one.
Old November 18, 2010, 12:34 AM   #3
xtratoy

thanks for the information. I bought one out of curiosity. I will see how it works when the weather gets a little nicer.
Old November 22, 2010, 01:51 AM   #4
olddrum1

New oring is an excellent suggestion and a little STOS on the oring helps with installation and removal.

CB