The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 17, 2001, 03:52 PM   #1
Walt Sherrill

Disassembly Infor for VZ-52 Rifle

Several months back I picked up a pretty nice VZ-52 in a local pawn shop, but work and other concerns had kept me from taking it apart and cleaning it, etc.

I started taking it apart last night and quickly found out that I was in over my head. It's a lot different from some of my other rifles...

I started to take the receiver from the stock and can get it loose, but the front end, where the barrel is held in place by the bayonet assembly (which functions like a barrel band) simply doesn't want to let it free. I can't see anything to press, unscrew or otherwise modify to get the bayonet assembly free of the stock. It looks as though its wedged onto the frame, but I don't want to start hitting and prying, as there might be something else required.

Does anyone have disassembly instructions for this weapon, or can someone point me to a WEB site that does? (Or can you recommend a reference books I might pick up?)
Old June 17, 2001, 04:26 PM   #2
Rome

Bayonet removal of VZ52

Yes, Walt, you're right. the band on the top of the bayonet mount has to come off in order to get the barrel/receiver assembly out. Here's how to do it.

Remove the wood and metal cover from the top of the rifle. You'll now see the barrel traveling through a small "sleeve" to the sights. That sleeve is removable. Simply place the rifle so that the muzzle is facing to the right with the bolt sticking up and the bayonet is laid back in its folded position. Now press the bayonet release button and at the same time attempt to slide the sleeve forward toward the sights. It may be tight if it hasn't come apart in a long time but it will wiggle forward.

Email me if you have any other quesitons about your VZ. I really like mine and it cleaned up pretty well.

Rome
Old June 18, 2001, 06:23 PM   #3
Walt Sherrill

Thanks for the reply. A couple of guys on the C&R list volunteered the same information, and it worked.

I've also found a site on the web that has a "care and disassembly" manual for this and several other weapons, so I'll be spending a little money over the next week to get myself a little better educated.
Old June 18, 2001, 06:43 PM   #4
Rome

What "C&R" list are your referring too? I'm interested.

R
Old June 21, 2001, 07:38 PM   #5
Walt Sherrill

C&R FFL LIST: http://www.shelfspace.com/~c-r-ffl/