The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 1, 2009, 05:17 PM   #1
welder05

Mauser Advice

I have a Mauser chambered for 6.5x55. It has been sporterized. 20 inch barrel. I have been attempting to find out more information on the rifle. I think it is a 93 action.. flat on bottom of bolt and cocks on loading. I have not been able to get a consistant group out of the 6.5. I am thinking that maybe a new barrel is in order. I understand that the choice for a 93 is limited to 6.5 257 Roberts 250 Savage 7x57. I am considering the 250 Savage... with a Shaw barrel. I would appricate any comments on the 250 Savage choice and the Shaw barrel. Safety is a major concern as this might be my granddaughter's rifle. I have an appointment with a gunsmith I found on the the Midway site to check headspace and action. I would like to hear comments to take with me to the meeting.

Thanks
Old January 1, 2009, 07:38 PM   #2
sadsack

Welder: You can add 35 REM to that list. If I'm not mistaken, Adams& Bennett markets short chambered barrels for the small ring actions. The 93/95 small ring actions are good actions to build on. The cock on closing that you mentioned can be changed to cock as the bolt is opened. The same custom touches that are done to the 98 can be done to the older 93/95/96 actions. I've built several chambered for the 35 REM, and it make a nice light weight little rifle.
Old January 1, 2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Harry Bonar

Mauser

Sir;
If the bolt is "flat" on the bottom it's a 93 action.
Your choice of calibers is great.
Check the action lug bearing surfaces and make sure both lugs bear and that there is no set back of the lugs. Where was it made?
If it is in good condition I, "personally" wouldn't be afraid to rebarrel it to 308 but I advise you not to do that.
Now, it sounds also that you, if it's truly 6.5X55, might have a swedish Mauser which is a 94 action.
However, both actions are supposedly rated for pressures of only about 45,000 CUP. If it was a "large ring" action (1.400) it, it in good shape could use loads up to 50,000 CUP!
I have always found the 93, 94, and 95 actions pretty hard and I feel they are good actions. They have no safety lug (lug shouldn't touch!) but that is pretty academic I feel. Good luch and have fun safely.
Harry B.
Old January 1, 2009, 10:58 PM   #4
PetahW

If the extreme rear end of the cocking piece of your rifle (at the rear of the bolt, on the end of the firing pin) has a 90-degree upward extension, you most likely have a Swedish M94 or M96 Mauser.

IIRC, the 6.5x55 has a different head size, and ergo, a different bolt face size than the other cartridges you are considering.
I would try the rim of a potential candidate in the bolt face, before I tried to convet it to a different cartridge - which I wouldn't do anyway, as you already have one of the premier game rounds available worldwide.

After all - The Swedes kill a LOT of Moose with that round, every year!

Old January 3, 2009, 09:55 PM   #5
welder05

Quote:
If the extreme rear end of the cocking piece of your rifle (at the rear of the bolt, on the end of the firing pin) has a 90-degree upward extension, you most likely have a Swedish M94 or M96 Mauser.
Pete
The rifle does have the upward extension... any other suggestions to narrow down to a 94/ 96... by the way I would like to keep as a 6.5 I just can not seem to get consistant groups... I will find a good combination and have some good groups only to come back in a week or two and have the groups go way south...
Old January 3, 2009, 10:12 PM   #6
kraigwy

Quote:
I will find a good combination and have some good groups only to come back in a week or two and have the groups go way south...
Sounds like a bedding problem to me. Free float it and bed the action and see what happens.

If you go to one of the cart. you listed, its gonna have to be re-barreled anyway, if you like the 6.5, and have to rebarrel it, rebarrel it to 6.5X55.

An extremely accurate cart. good for anything you want to do, from target shooting to hunting anything in this country.

I think you are dealing with a 1893 rifle, based on what I've read here.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 4, 2009, 09:51 PM   #7
PetahW

Although your grouping problem certainly sounds like a bedding issue, keep in mind that those Swedish Mausers generally have a mind of their own when it comes to bullet weight.

Also, do a super-scrub barrel cleaning, with a good copper solvent & bronze brush - or an Outers Electronic Bore Cleaner.

I always test with factory ammo, to eliminate loading issues, and then try a few different bullet weights.
My 6.5x55 likes 156gr Norma Onyx, and shoots them very well @ 100 yds - better than 129 or 140 gr bullets. YMMV, though.

You can check the bedding by slipping a piece of plastic, cut from an old credit card, under the action flat to the rear of the recoil lug, and another under the rear tang - then shooting to see if your grouping issue goes away.

If it does, then glass bed the action (Brownell's MicroBed Gel), being sure to leave a clearance on the front, sides and bottom of the recoil lug.

Sometimes, depending on the barrel thickness/contour, group size may benefit after action bedding with some up-pressure on the barrel at the forend tip.

Old January 4, 2009, 10:46 PM   #8
j_h_nimrod

Crown

Check the crown on the muzzle. That is a common place for an accuracy issue. If it is not clean , smooth and even that could be your culprit. I have also seen rifles that have been cleaned from the muzzle that have had damaged rifling in the first 1/2" or so.

If you do rebarrel I would vote for the 6.5x55. It is a great cartridge that should be good for just about anything your granddaughter might go after.
Old January 10, 2009, 10:07 AM   #9
sonic1

this site has some good info on your rifle type..if its not a swede

http://www.geocities.com/fritz125541/Spanmauhome