The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 21, 2011, 08:58 PM   #1
Jabberwalky

Save the Saiga-12 by emailing the ATF before May 1, 2011

raacfirearms.com says "The ATF is not approving paperwork for import. We don't have any inventory and will not be getting more unless the ATF changes their mind."

Tell the ATF what you think about this.

Comments to the BATFE may be submitted by e-mail to [email protected], or by fax to (202) 648-9601, and must be received by May 1, 2011. Faxed comments may not exceed 5 pages. All comments must include name and mailing address.

Learn more at the NRA link http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=6576

Last edited by Mal H; April 23, 2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Removing erroneous statement concerning permission to post.
Old April 21, 2011, 09:25 PM   #2
oneounceload

based on what? a STUDY that was done?...............
Old April 21, 2011, 09:41 PM   #3
Technosavant

You must not have read the ATF document they published, found any of the threads written on this, or even thought real hard about this beyond buying into whatever rumors you read.

I suggest you read the actual study the ATF published. The Saiga 12, as imported, will not be affected.
Old April 21, 2011, 10:17 PM   #4
kenno

three weeks
Old April 22, 2011, 06:39 PM   #5
pelo801

well maybe someone with more knowledge can tell. i'm not buying into any of the scare, but why doesn't anyone have them in stock right now? and with now ETA? my LGS just bumped up the price on them. they went from 600-ish to 850-ish, and they are on back order. some guy on ksl has one for $1200, and it's in stock configuration. anybody know what's going on?
Old April 22, 2011, 07:50 PM   #6
Technosavant

Quote:
well maybe someone with more knowledge can tell. i'm not buying into any of the scare, but why doesn't anyone have them in stock right now? and with now ETA? my LGS just bumped up the price on them. they went from 600-ish to 850-ish, and they are on back order. some guy on ksl has one for $1200, and it's in stock configuration. anybody know what's going on?
There's several factors. First, imported guns, especially from Russia, tend to ebb and flow onto the market. When a shipment comes in, they're everywhere and cheap. When it's been a while, they're rare and more expensive. Second, the importer of the Saiga has changed from what I understand, and that means it's been a little longer since we've gotten many into the country. Third, it's what you see here- folks who don't know what the ATF has said but pass along the panicky rumors, so they buy them when they see them because they may not be available later. Panic buying means prices go up.

Heck, I ought to sell mine right now- I might actually be able to get out of it what I have into it.
Old April 24, 2011, 01:37 AM   #7
Bartholomew Roberts

The Saiga as imported should not be affected; but many popular shotguns, imported and domestic, pump or semi, may be affected by this study and you should write ATF.
Old April 24, 2011, 04:51 PM   #8
kozak6

Dear BATFE:

Reading is hard, so I didn't bother to actually read your study. However, I did get a scary email about how the study says that you really want to ban all tactical shotguns, and especially the Saiga 12.

Please don't.

Hugs and kisses,
~kozak6
Old April 24, 2011, 09:27 PM   #9
oneounceload

Quote:
Well, starting with basic economics, a seller has to price his goods plus profit, at the his replacement costs basic Econ 101

As to why they are not in stock - those guns are produced in batches and sold as such.....this typical and not out of the ordinary......if you are looking at them as an investment, Exxon is a better choice
Old May 2, 2011, 03:25 PM   #10
Green Hornet

well, cant get theme here in il anymore. i was also told that you cant get the pistol grip and ar type stocks anymore. im glad i got all my stuff a while ago, but i never had a chance to fire mine yet.
Old May 2, 2011, 03:41 PM   #11
Technosavant

Quote:
i was also told that you cant get the pistol grip and ar type stocks anymore
Don't listen to that person. He/she clearly doesn't know anything. It's quite simple to get one's hands on any type of stock and grip for AK pattern firearms.
Old May 6, 2011, 12:03 PM   #12
BuzzGun

The part that really burns me when you read the article on the NRA
website is the fact that this "working Group" within the ATF, Doesn't
Want to consider practical shooting matches because they believe that's
of "military and police orientation". They believe you should be helpless
and dependent on the government.
Just thought it was intersting.

Law abiding citizens should be well armed and competent users of there firearms hence the practical shooting matches.

The police perform their jobs well but it's up to you to stay alive until they get there.
Old May 11, 2011, 08:37 PM   #13
JohnnyBmore

Just wanted to let everyone know Atlantic just got a limited shipment of saiga 12's in & I think there will be a few left after the pre-orders are filled .....

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct536.aspx
Old May 13, 2011, 03:37 PM   #14
MLeake

Just received an email response from ATF to the input I submitted last month:

"U.S. Department of Justice
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Dear Sir or Madame:
Thank you for responding to the Shotgun Study. Your assistance will further promote ATF’s ability to support the firearms industry. We will review and consider your comments and suggestions.
If you have any questions, you may contact the Firearms and Explosives Industry Division @ 202-648-7090. Once again, thank you for your email.

Firearms and Explosives Industry Division
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives"

Wonder how many such emails they will send?

Tags
atf , batfe , russian , saiga , shotgun