The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 3, 2006, 04:19 PM   #1
wolfe 21

Lee Classic Loader Kit?

does anyone use this kit for more than working up loads at the range and is it satisfactory for use in any kind of quantity (say 150 shells at a time). I'm just looking for an easy way to start loading for my new .45LC and this seems like it might not be a bad way to go and I can take it to the range with me as well. Thanks, James.
Old December 14, 2006, 03:37 PM   #2
OldBill

I bought the Lee Classic Loader Kit:

I bought it and used it to reload for my 22 hornet. This little press works great for me, and the instructions are easy for anyone to understand. My reloads shoot much better then factory ammo, and for me time is not as important as getting it right. My little CZ 527 will shoot better the minute of angle all day.
OldBill....
Old December 14, 2006, 05:00 PM   #3
Smokey Joe

Why not???

The Lee Classic Loader was how many of us got started in this fascinating hobby, and it remains a useful tool to this day.

Price has gone up, of course: My .30-'06 kit was $7.50 brand new, IIRC, and they now go for $22-24 depending on cartridge. But it's still an inexpensive learning tool, and very portable too.

150 rounds will take you a while, especially compared to the time it takes with more expensive equipment, but what else you gonna do of a winter evening--watch the durn TV? I'd do it by completing one operation on each fired case before switching gears and doing the next operation, except scooping powder and seating the bullet--those I'd do to each case separately. Avoids spills.

Wash yr hands before handling new primers, and after handling fired ones. Hand oil is not good for new primers, and the residue from the fired ones contains lead that is not good for you.

And most importantly, READ AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS that come with the kit!!!

OldBill--I'm pleased to learn that you can still outdo factory loads with yr Lee kit. That was one of the motivations for my buying it 'way back when.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; December 14, 2006 at 05:29 PM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
Old December 14, 2006, 05:00 PM   #4
Buckythebrewer

Are you talking about the Kit with the Challenger press(probably not)?If so I have loved my kit and have been using it for years..
Old December 14, 2006, 05:28 PM   #5
Smokey Joe

Not the Challenger!

BuckyTheBrewer--No, not the Challenger, Wolfe21 is asking about the much more basic Lee Classic Loader, the hammer-it-in, hammer-it-out kit, if I understand him correctly.

--Smokey Joe
Old December 14, 2006, 05:40 PM   #6
jdmick

I have to confess I've never used one myself but I just bought two of them for my nephews for Christmas. One in .243 and the other in .270. I usually buy them a box of loaded ammo but with the recent price increases the $13.99 Cabelas sells them for looked pretty good. I'll throw in some bullets and a box of primers and they'll be ready to go after getting some powder. I haven't read anything bad about them other than an occasional primer detonation which supposedly isn't dangerous because of the design of the tool.
Old December 14, 2006, 05:56 PM   #7
smooks75

Lee Classic Loader

My first one was in 9mm. What a great way to learn. Many of the ol timers I know started on these also. I am still begining but feel very confident in this item. I have made some great loads and will hand this one down. I plan on getting more of them as learning tools for friends. Keep loading!
Old December 14, 2006, 06:48 PM   #8
SIGSHR

Though I loaded my first reloads-38 WCs with a Lee Loader back in 1975,
I recommend eithe the Lee Hand Press (or the Lyman-I have them both).
With the hand presses, you can use regular reloading dies and full length resize-the Lee Loader neck resizes only. You will need a lubricating pad and
a priming tool-I have the Lee, works fine. I know the Lyman Hand Press has
slots cut in it to mount on a bench if you desire, the Lee does not. And
should you desire to upgrade to a full sized press, you will have your reloading
dies already. My main reloading press is a 1985 vintage RCBS 4x4, I bought
the hand presses to reload 45-70, the 4x4 will not handle that.
And yes, I did have a primer detonation with my Lee Loader.
Old December 15, 2006, 02:23 PM   #9
jsflagstad

I remember seeing the Lee loaders in magazines years ago. When I bought my first 7mm Rem Mag I thought about getting one because of the price of ammo. I saw them in the magazines for around $10 and just never got around to getting one.

Back a couple years ago, I bought a box of reloading stuff on ebay and in this box was one of these loaders for my 357 mag. I figured what the heck, I'd give it a try and loaded a handful of rounds with it. Of course, it took considerably longer than with even my single stage press, but the accuracy of the rounds were excellent. I guess I wouldn't use it much as long as I had the regular press in the shop, but it may be useful for at the range.

I hear guys say that the accuracy of rounds loaded with these loaders is better than rounds loaded with a conventional press, but I haven't loaded enough with them to come to that conclusion. If this is true, would anyone be able to offer an explanation as to why? Again, I'm not sure if it is true, but if it is I would think there would be a traceable reason.
Old December 15, 2006, 03:18 PM   #10
rwilson452

It's the human element. You can't get in a hurry so you have much more attention to detail.

I hear guys say that the accuracy of rounds loaded with these loaders is better than rounds loaded with a conventional press, but I haven't loaded enough with them to come to that conclusion. If this is true, would anyone be able to offer an explanation as to why? Again, I'm not sure if it is true, but if it is I would think there would be a traceable reason.
Old December 15, 2006, 03:35 PM   #11
jsflagstad

The human element... I'll buy that. I guess it is preached everywhere in reloading manuals to take your time and not be in a hurry. I have also heard that another reason the Lee loaders are supposedly more accurate is that they do not full length resize the cases and when reloaded and used in the same gun the case fits the chamber better. Don't know if this is true, but I thought that I'd throw it out there.

JSF
Old December 16, 2006, 11:10 AM   #12
Buckythebrewer

I refuse to believe that one press will make better ammo than another.I believe That the dies are what count as far as equipment goes IMO.Maybe with specialty dies you would see a difference between presses but thats it and thats still a maybe.Time spent in powder charges,bullets seating,etc,etc will make the difference.
Old December 16, 2006, 10:06 PM   #13
glockopop

I looked at the Classic Loader first, and then ended up with a Lee hand press instead. It said on the Lee site that the classic loader for .45ACP required a lot of force to make it work, and the hand press wasn't much more, and it has more versatility. I got the lee Carbide Speed Die and the whole setup works great. After christmas I'm getting a .38spl and will be buying another speed die and loading for it too.
Old December 17, 2006, 04:57 AM   #14
AFshooter

I use them. You might find that you get pretty quick at it, and it's fun.
Be careful on the primer seating. I set off a .45 primer by tapping too hard.

Widener's has the kits for $12.50 but they are out of most of them right now.
You really can't go wrong with them, since they cost about the same as a box of ammo. I'll have one of each eventually. You can find the discontinued ones on ebay all the time. They used to make a shotgun shell version.

I just ordered a lee auto prime and some holders because I am afraid of setting off primers with the classic loader.

Widener's has some of the best prices I have seen on reloading stuff, Lee stuff anyway.

Nebraska Concealed Carry
Old December 17, 2006, 05:07 AM   #15
AFshooter

Quote:
I looked at the Classic Loader first, and then ended up with a Lee hand press instead. It said on the Lee site that the classic loader for .45ACP required a lot of force to make it work, and the hand press wasn't much more, and it has more versatility. I got the lee Carbide Speed Die and the whole setup works great. After christmas I'm getting a .38spl and will be buying another speed die and loading for it too.
It takes more force if you pound it all the way in but it's just not necessary.

The hand presses are great. You can get the hand press, the ram prime and a funnel for $25 from the Widener's. Using normal dies is a big plus.

glockopop, .38spl dies work for .357 too!

Nebraska Concealed Carry
Old December 18, 2006, 03:11 AM   #16
glockopop

Dammit! Now I have to get a .357 too!
Old April 14, 2009, 07:59 PM   #17
Duesouth

Lee Loader

I bought a Lee Loader for .410 shotshells on eBay and I'm confused. There is a part in the kit about 1 1/2" long that is tapered down to a point. I can't figure out what this is for. If anyone can explain this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Duesouth
Old April 14, 2009, 09:29 PM   #18
Dr. Strangelove

They are a good way to learn reloading and not as slow as you may think. You should be able to bang out 150 rounds in 1.5 hours give or take. Use the little powder measure thingy in the kit and don't be anal about it, but buy the kit first to see what powder the measure will measure. I like the Lee Loader.
Old April 14, 2009, 10:34 PM   #19
Cult .44

I use the Classic Lee Loader for .44 mag. Does take some force to size the cases but a 16 oz plastic hammer works well for the task (don't forget case lube). I can size them in three quick strokes. Getting a feel for setting the primers takes some time. I popped three of them early on but haven't popped any since after hundreds of rounds loaded (I where my eye and ear protection while I'm doing it). One thing I do to make sure the primers are seated below flush is hold the case up to a light and roll the priming rod over the base. If I see light shining through where the primer pocket is, I know it's good.

Setting a good crimp takes some practice too and, I believe, is the key to achieving good accuracy. Rounds that don't require a crimp, or heavy crimp, are probably easier. I'm pretty slow, maybe 25-30 and hour, longer if I'm weighing the charges. But a lot of people seem to have no problem making a cartridge a minute or better.
Old April 15, 2009, 05:35 AM   #20
darkgael

Lee Loader

I started with the Lee Loader. I still have a bunch of them - backups for my most common calibers. They are useful as range tools for loading that one or two extra. I have bought them in the common shotgun gauges and use them for the odd test shell or two. I'll have to look in my .410 set and see if there is a tool such as mentioned. (Away from home right now.)

Quote:
I refuse to believe that one press will make better ammo than another.
I agree with that in principle but we are not talking about a press here. The Lee Loader is much more akin to the dies used by Benchrest shooters (L.E. Wilson straight line seating dies come to mind and his neck dies) than any "normal" press.
Pete
Old April 15, 2009, 10:46 AM   #21
Rebel Dave

Howdy All

I have a NIB unopened .357 Mag, Lee loader for sale. I ended up with two of the for some reason. I am askig $ 27.00 shipped to you.

I have, and use the myself, they are great for working up loads. It's also fun to use when you make ammo.

Rebel Dave