The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 30, 2013, 12:24 PM   #1
Firefighter88

Citori 725 field VS feather

Well, I had my heart set on a 12 guage Browning Citori 725 field with a 28 inch bbl. I have been saving for awhile and am very, very close to target funds. Now I see there is a 725 feather put into the mix, now I am undecided again. Will be a pheasant hunting, and just for fun clay breaker. Haven't found much on the feather version or handled one. I have handled the field model every time I enter a store with one, just to make sure it still 'fits'. Will the field model handle recoil better because its heavier? Will the feather models weight and ease of carry for hunting be enough to outweigh more felt recoil while clay shooting? Surely it's not as simple as a recoil comparison but that is all the difference I can think of, what am I missing? I'm still leaning toward the field model by the way. Also, I believe there is roughly a pound difference in overall weight between them. Any info or opinion appreciated.
Old April 30, 2013, 02:01 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

If you are concerned about recoil and its damage (and you should be), go with the heaviest gun you can handle and shoot the lightest loads. Otherwise, if you are one who will be mostly hunting and carrying it a lot, then the featherweight was designed for that. Whether that will withstand a lot of clay shooting (and your shoulder included) is something you will need to determine for yourself
Old May 1, 2013, 01:34 PM   #3
BigJimP

The field model ...according to catalog is only 7 lbs 6 oz ...which is pretty light....and the Feather light model is about 13oz lighter...so call it three quarters of a lb...( or really light )...

Just looking at the 2 models in the catalog...weight is the big difference I see..../ price is higher on the Feather model + $ 180 ...and the receiver is aluminum vs steel on the field model ( that's where the weight is ) ../ but I have no reason to believe, if you take care of it, that the alloy receiver won't hold up just fine.

Stock dimensions on both are almost the same....45 3/4" overall, 14 1/4 LOP, 1 5/8" drop at comb ...one model has 2 1/2" drop at heel one is 2 1/4"...( unless catalog info is incorrect ).
---------
For an adult male - 13 oz will mean the lighter gun will give you probably 15% more recoil and that's a lot if you shoot clays with it / in the field where you're only shooting 10 or 12 shells, maybe its no big deal. But is carrying 13 oz a big deal...not to me it isn't / so I would go with the heavier gun.

Personally my field guns...on live birds ...and for Skeet and sporting clays...I like them with 30" barrels and around 8.5 lbs.../ but I don't hunt a lot - and I do shoot clays a lot...so heavier is important to me in terms of limiting recoil.

I have a 7.2 lb gun....if I want really light to carry ...but its a semi-auto / Benelli Super Sport...and the 7.2 lb is the 12ga 30" version / I have it in a 20ga as well in 28" at 6.2 lbs..../ but the semi-auto action - with the comfort tech system in the Benelli stock soaks up some of the recoil...

so on the O/U --- I would go with the heavier gun / I think its more versatile.
Old May 1, 2013, 05:13 PM   #4
Firefighter88

Thanks for the info, I wish the field model came in a 30 inch bbl, unfortunately I believe it's only offered in 26, and 28 in. the last I checked. The 725's that offer longer barrels are a bit out of my price range, or maybe would take longer to save for than I wanna wait. Based off the way the field model feels on my shoulder, I think 30 would be as long as I would want. I have a pump gun with a 28 inch barrel and it feels a mile longer than the O/U. I may have to shoulder one of the 32 inch barrel sport models to compare feel. I think the 725 field is the one I'll end up with though. Thanks again fellas.
Old May 1, 2013, 05:26 PM   #5
BigJimP

In general....the length of the receiver on a pump or semi-auto is about 2" longer than the receiver on an O/U....

so an O/U with 30" barrels is about the same overall length as a pump or semi-auto with a 28" barrel.
-------
All of these issues are up to you .....but if a gun is well balanced, the 30" barrel in an O/U might be an asset or it might not. To me an O/U with 28" barrels, although I loved guns in that configuration for 20+ yrs, ----when I bought my first Citori's with 30" barrels in about 1998, I just flat liked them a lot more. But I'm 6'5" and 290 lbs....

My buddy is about 6' and 180 lbs....and he likes his O/U's heavier than I do - at around 9 lbs...but he likes them in 26" or 28" at the longest.

In Trap guns...where a longer and heavier barrels are an advantage because there is less left to right barrel movement...and the weight helps keep the gun moving...a 32" O/U at around 10 lbs ( like a Citori XT I think is perfect) and if I wanted a single barrel, like a BT-99 I'd go to a 34"...

But no two of us are exactly alike....

Heck....my primary guns in both 28ga and .410 are both Browning Citori O/U's with 30" barrels...and while, out of the box they're right at 7.5 lbs....I add about 8oz in the forend and 8oz in the stock ...to get them both up to around 8.5 lbs ....so they feel exactly like my 12ga primary Citori ( XS Skeet model, with the adj comb )..../ and those XS Skeet models are my upland bird field guns ...and I've even taken them on some "gentlemen" duck hunts where I knew I was in blinds..and not wading thru marsh land....

But that's why none of us can tell you what to do ...only what we would do - for your consideration ( at least we're shooters vs a gun sales guy - that may have no idea, except what it costs, on one model or the other)....

but yes, Brownings are very good guns ...and they're not giving them away / but they give you by far, in my view, the most gun for the money these days ....in all of the 29 versions of the Citori ...or the Cynergy line of guns.
---------
Good luck in your decision ...and remember, no matter what - make sure you have fun with the process !!
Old May 3, 2013, 05:25 PM   #6
Firefighter88

Great info, great words, thanks BigJim!
Old May 4, 2013, 10:08 AM   #7
BigJimP

you're welcome
Old May 4, 2013, 05:35 PM   #8
Firefighter88

If you don't mind Bigjim, or anyone else, what is a good target load for skeet?
Old May 4, 2013, 05:41 PM   #9
BigD_in_FL

7/8 to 1oz of 8s or 9s running about 1200 fps. Many are reloading 12 gauge down to 3/4 and even 5/8oz for practice to reduce recoil and stretch expensive lead.

International skeet loads are 24 grams ( almost 7/8) and their targets are harder and faster than US skeet targets and their scores went up when they switched from 28 grams
Old May 5, 2013, 11:45 AM   #10
BigJimP

In a "does everything very well" ....Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays...in 12ga, I use a 1oz load of 8's at 1225 fps....

If I was just going to shoot Skeet....any load in a 12ga ...3/4 oz, 7/8 oz, or 1 oz is plenty at 1200 fps....