The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 27, 2008, 08:06 PM   #1
gedenke

SW Oregon...where did all the deer go?!

I probably sound like a noob by saying this, but I just gotta get it off my chest. Last year, hunting in my area was pretty good. I saw a lot of deer, and saw several bucks hanging opening day. Even after the pressure of opening week, we still saw deer often.

This year however, the same area that was crawling with deer last year, is now like a ghost town. I'm thinking, "OK, they've moved...somewhere." So I try some other places I've seen animals...DRY. I keep looking, trying different areas, tactics, weather, etc and have only seen a couple of doe. What gives?

Now, I'm not trying to boost myself, but I'm pretty quiet in the woods, and I use the wind to my advantage, so I'm pretty sure they're not busting me before I can see them. It's not just me either, almost no one (that I know anyway) is tagging or even seeing much at all. I'm just wondering where'd all the deer go? Anyone else notice this kind of sudden change in deer populations in your area? It's the same with elk this year too.