The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 17, 2012, 12:05 PM   #1
Patriot86

Tavor coming to the USA?

Good morning everyone; I know this has been gone over a bit in the past here so I won't be too long winded.

From what I can dig up here and on other forums there was an announcement @ SHOT-2012 that someone would finally be importing the civilian version of the TAR-21 AKA "Tavor" rifle used by the Israeli's and that ETA was September-October 2012. I have seen conflicting reports beyond that about who will actually be importing/building the firearms; if it will be IWI themselves or a third party.

Has anyone here seen any further updates beyond that?
Old September 17, 2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Crow Hunter

This is the latest I have read.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=97410&page=6

Good luck.
Old September 17, 2012, 12:21 PM   #3
Patriot86

That is the latest thing I have found too....either they have been delayed or Israeli marketing style is not the same as US style marketing . I am surprise if it really IS coming to the US by the end of the year or even the end of October every gun store around does not have a display gun or at least a mock up.

Myself I am not sure if I will buy one or not; I have been thinking of a BULLPUP rifle later this year and I know the Israeli's take their weaponry seriously so it is well worth the consideration.
Old September 17, 2012, 12:23 PM   #4
tahunua001

I doubt that anyone will be willing to import it. it is mostly plastic and under 922R it will have to be shipped in demilled condition and then converted into a functional semi auto using at least 6 american made parts, somehow I think that the price would be astronomical if anyone ever does try to import them.
Old September 17, 2012, 12:57 PM   #5
Crow Hunter

From what I understand, they are trying to import them, but there are A LOT of BATF hoops to jump through to get approval, like 3 years worth or something like that.

If you really want a Bullpup, I would go with a Steyr AUG. Steyr is reportedly importing new ones again.

My 2nd choice would be the FS2000. Especially if you want to be able to shoot with either hand. My brother had one for a while, it was very well balanced and shot well it just had a terrible trigger, he didn't like it and traded it for a SCAR.

Good luck.
Old September 18, 2012, 07:17 PM   #6
tahunua001

ditto on the AUG or FS2000. I have little time with either but if it wasn't for that hunking plastic trigger I would readily drop the 1800 necessary to own an FS2000

the tavor really doesn't offer anything that other bullpups don't except that nobody in the US owns a tavor(except a select few special cases).
Old September 19, 2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Patriot86

Something just seems COOL about owning the same gun Israeli Commando's use, makes me want to take Krav Maga lesson or something. In all seriousness; if the Israeli's are using it then the weapon must be good. So far as I know they take their war toys very seriously over there. the gun looks cool and it would be nice to have the oppertunity to own one.

I like the F-2000 also , it would be another neat addition to my firearms collection too.
Old September 19, 2012, 01:21 PM   #8
Chuckusaret

Quote:
Patriot86
Something just seems COOL about owning the same gun Israeli Commando's use, makes me want to take Krav Maga lesson or something..............
Krav Maga? You must be a very young guy or have not seen or participated in the training program. Two of my daughters have been in the training program for several years.
Old September 19, 2012, 03:08 PM   #9
Patriot86

I am a youngish guy; closer to 30 than 20 but not by much.
I've never had the oppertunity to watch a Krav Maga lesson going on. The little tidbits I have read about it seem promising; Seems like it could be a very handy skillset to have.
Old September 21, 2012, 10:01 PM   #10
tahunua001

what's Krav Maga? some kind of yoga?
Old September 24, 2012, 07:26 PM   #11
kozak6

Seriously? Google it.

Anyways, the Tavor isn't really a rifle I'm interested in, so I haven't been keeping up on it. The last time I checked, the rumors were that it's going to be a Charles Daly (Michael Kassnar) thing, and that prices will probably be somewhere between $2000-3000.