Old February 26, 2001, 05:18 AM   #1
TABING

Location: White Mountains, AZ & Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
I recently saw a British show "Bodyguards" where the British
agents used full auto handguns.

Does anyone know anything about these?
Old February 26, 2001, 02:04 PM   #2
Rakekniven

Just off the top of my head I can think of the Beretta 93 (semi and 3 round burst capable I think) and the Glock 18 as full-auto pistol.

I hate to think of how uncontrollable those things could get though...
Old February 26, 2001, 04:24 PM   #3
SDC

Did they show what make these were? There are a couple of factory handguns (or almost "handguns", like the Skorpion and VP-70) that they might be, but just about ANY semi-auto can be converted to full-auto if you want to screw with it enough. I once fired a Browning HP that had been converted, and it climbed like you wouldn't believe. Because most handguns are fairly light and have a low mag capacity, I don't think they're very useful in the full-auto mode.
Old February 26, 2001, 05:05 PM   #4
chetchat

There are a couple of Soviet pistols in F/A that their special forces (SPEZNAZ) use effectively, from the film I've seen anyway.

Leroy Thompson did a writeup on FA pistols and said that they require a LOT of practice in order to be useful. The models with 3rd burst, like the Beretta, are the most effective, but like SDC said, their usefulness is limited, tactically speaking.

Nick
Old February 26, 2001, 08:12 PM   #5
Apeach

Beretta 93R, HK VP70, and the Glock 18, except that I don't think those are truly full auto, just 3RB. It doesn't seem to me that a full auto pistol would be very effective, because after the first few shots, the bullets would be going everywhere (especially bad for bodyguards who would presumably be operating in a crowd). The 3RB might work ok, but best on the VP70 and Beretta 93R, because the VP70 has a stock required for 3RB, and the Beretta has a stock and a foregrip.
Old February 27, 2001, 08:56 AM   #6
Daniel Watters

BTW: The Glock 18 and 18C do not have a burst mechanism.

The Russians have a couple of new machinepistols which have replaced the old APS Steckhin (9x18mm PM) in some units. This page from the Russian Ministry of Interior (MVD) shows the Drotik (5.45x18mm) and the Pernach (9x18mm PM and PMM). The 9x18mm PMM is essentially a 9x18mm Makarov +P+ loading.
Old February 27, 2001, 11:43 AM   #7
fal308
Staff Alumnus

In the March 2001 issue of SAR there is a picture of a full auto Beretta Model 57 with shoulderstock and foregrip in the Pietro Beretta museum in Italy.
For some more info offline on interesting Russian small arms and ammo try The New World of Russian Small Arms & Ammo by Charlie Cutshaw. This is another book that belongs in your personal library.